Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Arsenal [8.00pm Sky Sports 1]

• 11-12-2010 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well get this started seeing as the temperature is beginning to rise in the team threads. Looking forward to this but I think we'll find it difficult at Old Trafford and given United are pretty much at full strength I'd be delighted with a draw.

In any case; love these games. The marqueé game of the Premiership for me despite what Chelsea/Liverpool/City/Spurs fans might think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Used to love/hate these game when I was younger.:D
    I was always so nervous in the build up to them, and Martin Keown was the Devil to me for months after the did the monkey dance into RVNs face.:pac:

2-1 to United I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Man United 4-0 Arsenal, Evra x3, Berbatov :D

Seriously though, I'd happily take a dull as dishwater scrappy 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Im going with 2-1 to United. Will be alot tougher than some think, and I just know Nasri is going to score. We really are counting on Wayne Rooney's progressively improving form to continue, Anderson to keep doing a Nani, and Nani to have fun against his favourite team to play against.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I think we'll grab a 3-3 draw.

Fabianski with a perfect hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Never sure whether I'm looking forward to or dreading this fixture. Always so hard to call. At the moment, I think we're playing better football, even if we are terrible at the back. I think we can nick this one, 2-1 Arsenal.

We badly need to even out our Premiership record against them too!

Head To Head:
    P   W   D   L   F   A  GD Pts  PPG
    Man United           36  10  11  15  35  48 -13  41 1.14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

1-1 draw for me. On a side note Ferguson has pleaded with UTD fans to stop their abuse of Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

thegen wrote: »
    1-1 draw for me. On a side note Ferguson has pleaded with UTD fans to stop their abuse of Wenger.

It's a nice gesture, but it's pointless all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Wayne f'n Rooney.

We could have won if he stayed injured.

But he always scores against us. And our defence is so weak withhout Vermaelen we'll concede at least 2.

Saying that, we have Nasri bang in form and if Arshavin and RvP can turn it on we could grab a high scoring win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fingers crossed Rio stays injured and Fergie mysteriously picks Jonny Evans to replace him... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd go with:

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Squillaci
    Djourou
    Clichy
    Wilshere---Song---Rosicky
    Nasri
    Chamakh
    Arshavin

Which leaves us with the likes of Walcott and RVP to make an impact from the bench. Still pretty worried about this game though and can see it being 2-0 United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

I'd hardly call this the marquee game of the Premiership but each to their own.

United to win-by two goals over a technically gifted but mentally limited Arsenal side. When push comes to shove they just will not cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This Arsenal team got dominated in their big games last season. Until they win a game like this, they will be rightly viewed as all flair, no substance.

I don't expect the tippy tappy bottlers to turn it around in this game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Swap Squillaci for Koscielny in Frisbee's team and that's what I'd go for. I really hope we don't see van Persie in the hole. Going to have to monopolise possession to get a result and that won't happen if he's there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I'm headin over to this game, they are always crackers so I hope this one doesn't disappoint! Fairly nervous tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can't see Arsenal undoing the United hoo-doo, not with our current defenders.
    Prove me wrong boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm headin over to this game, they are always crackers so I hope this one doesn't disappoint! Fairly nervous tbh!

+1 on all counts...heading over, expecting a cracker and shiiting myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's always a good sign when I'm nervous for a game, seem to do relatively we when I am, looking forward to a cracker. Hope United win, I'm not make any prediction though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

x PyRo wrote: »
    I think we'll grab a 3-3 draw.

Fabianski with a perfect hat-trick.

For which team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

2-1 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Will be alot tougher than some think

Who thinks it's in any way going to be easy? :confused:

Draw written all over it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

the way arsenals defence is i can see united getting 2 at least. if our defenders can get their act together we could scrape it but cant see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I reckon Arsenal can score 2 but it's about keeping United out at the other end, I hope we manage to do it and get a 2-1 but It could easily be a bit of a goal fest.

EDIT: United fans, is it fair to say Arsenal are the best Attack ye have faced thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No chance of us keeping a clean sheet so we're gonna have to score at least a couple to get a win. We're capable of that though. More chance of us dominating possession and getting hit on the counter attack again. I'd take a draw now, but can see us losing it to the odd goal.

2-1 to the franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Who thinks it's in any way going to be easy? :confused:

Draw written all over it for me.

Some people. Probably you man, easy draw like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Tough game. Against a team i love to hate.

If we are to finish second in the league to any team i'd nearly always pick Arse.

No idea how it'll go, wait til i see the team to make a prediction. But i always expect united to win.

Who starts RB for United these days, I reckon a half arsed Arshavin could have Rafael and O'Shea , could be key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rafael, and I'd expect him to be able to handle Arshavin to a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

peabutler wrote: »
    I reckon a half arsed Arshavin could have Rafael.

TBH, you don't have much of a clue about Rafael if you think that.

mars bar wrote: »
    Rafael, and I'd expect him to be able to handle Arshavin to a degree.

Depends which Arshavin shows up, he is the ultimate Enigma and on his day I reckon he'd gobble up Rafael, off his day he will be destroyed and Clichy will have a long day.

Edit: davyjose, I count Arshavin's best games as half arsed because he is that type of player with a lazy style not a reflection on Rafael.

• Advertisement

You're severely underestimating Rafael if you think Arshavinn would 'gobble him up', Rafael is turning out to be one of the best RBs in the league and he'd be similar to Arshavin for pace.

We'll have to wait and see

Pace wise they are similar as mentioned
    Strength wise similar maybe give it to Rafael

That leaves Technical ability something which Arsh has plenty of and on his day could make a fool out of most right backs and/or Defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Tough one to call as arsenals defence could be the difference.bad mistakes by individual player could cost us like in the past.
    fingers crossed we,ll beat them as its been a few yrs now since we did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

baz2009 wrote: »
    You're severely underestimating Rafael if you think Arshavinn would 'gobble him up', Rafael is turning out to be one of the best RBs in the league and he'd be similar to Arshavin for pace.

I'm a fan of Rafael, I think he's a great talent and has looked great this year but come on right now he's not near being one of the best RB's in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The only thing that would worry about Rafael is that if Arshavin does take the ball past him, that he would make a silly challenge. However, last gasp challenges are something he has improved on remarkably over the summer and if he keeps improving at that rate, he will be one of the best right backs in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Rafael has pace and is fairly good technically, but his decision making can be god awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im an Arsenal fan, but i reckon united will win, again.

Johner wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Rafael, I think he's a great talent and has looked great this year but come on right now he's not near being one of the best RB's in the league.

Not the top 2/3 but certainly in the top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

3-1 to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Definetly will be goals on either end.

I say Arsenal to win 3-1.

I reckon 3-2 Arsenal, let's see how United deal with a proper attack for the first time this season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm going to miss this one. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

peabutler wrote: »
    I reckon 3-2 Arsenal, let's see how United deal with a proper attack for the first time this season.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My heart says Arsenal to win by a single goal but my head says the best we can hope for is a draw with the defence we have at the moment .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

reckon best arsenal will get is a draw , centre of defence very week at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

lol

He's not a million miles away with that comment; out of the teams Manchester United have played in the League and in Europe with 'A' listers in the attack would have been Spurs and a Man City side who came for a point and were never going to attack.

The Arsenal front 5 will have been the best United have faced this season so far imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

BERBA wrote: »
    reckon best arsenal will get is a draw , centre of defence very week at present

either side of it and behind it too:p

cson wrote: »
    He's not a million miles away with that comment; out of the teams Manchester United have played in the League and in Europe with 'A' listers in the attack would have been Spurs and a Man City side who came for a point and were never going to attack.

The Arsenal front 5 will have been the best United have faced this season so far imo.

I wouldn't disagree with the content of the post, just the way it came across as if United had 2 unknowns in the centre of defence and at left-back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

On the face of it United have every reason to be confident going into this, but given just how mental the season has been I have an awful feeling Arsenal could pull it off. Hope Anderson stays in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

looking forward to this game . .

Since the EPL started ,this is usually a better game then others between top teams. Oddly enough, I always enjoy United playing Arsenal away more then home.

Glad that theres finally a Monday game worth watching .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

When assesing this game we must consider next weeks game as weel.

4 points from 6 is what fergie will want so on this basis i think beating aresenal at home and getting a draw off chelsea next week will set united up lovely for xmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement