Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Arsenal [8.00pm Sky Sports 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Positives is the new goalkeeper. Negative everything else. I suppose Cesc being injured didnt help matters. Arsenal need to start trying something different in these bigger games. Maybe a boloxing from tony adams might do the trick.
    Ref was a complete hommer. Rio should have seen a card, probably red...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thought Nani disappeared in the second half myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Clichy gets his bi-annual raping from Nani.

Gah, Arsenal need a new left side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney lucky to stay on the pitch at the end. Very dirty. Very disappointed with that. was needless and extremely stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Right suppose this is the cue to exit the thread as the ABU's join in.

As a few of you gooners have said you just didnt get going. So unlike Arsenal to pass poorly. At least you have Cesc and RVP on the way back. I hope to see you get at least a draw at Stamford Bridge - Arse-Utd title scraps are the best.

This Arsenal team is pony:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ush1 wrote: »

lads could you use any other word! Its vulgar and very distasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I thought he did ok, nani didn't do much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Motm
    Anderson
    Park
    Evra

I thought the midfield did a power of closing down and tackling in front of the back 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

efb wrote: »
    Fine, Clichy got his Bi-yearly raping from Nani.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I went Park Anderson Ferdinand but that's from about 6 different streams, of which four were very dodgy.

Park apart from the goal, worked his bollix off for the 90 minutes, which really is Uniteds game plan against Arsenal the last few seasons.

Right, I'm delighted and off now to watch the season finale of Dexter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

efb wrote: »

I would agree, if only it wasn't true! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought he did ok, nani didn't do much

He was very shaky in fairness and it was poor defending for Nani's cross for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

OPENROAD wrote: »

For anyone that doesn't understand that statement.

Pony=Sh*t.

It;s origin is based on the sportswear manufacturer and longtime sponsor of Tottenham Hotspur.Their product is sh*t and the team they sponsored were and are sh*t....hence....pony.

And yes....Arsenal were f*cking pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah Gibbs needs to be starting alright. I have a certain degree of sympathy for Clichy; he got no cover from Arshavin for most of the match - whereas in the same situation for United with our star man Nasri, Evra and Park were on him the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

OPENROAD wrote: »

yeah pretty much.

Plan B is needed as some of ya have alluded to. Nothing wrong now and then with lumping the ball up the field. Walcott does offer that something different but the problem here was Evra largely nullifies a lot of his pace threat as he is so quick also.

• Advertisement

He was very shaky in fairness and it was poor defending for Nani's cross for the goal.

Nani is going cause trouble for any full back, he didn't have much protection in front of him, the goal was very lucky, he got a foot on the cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Disappointing result as an Arsenal fan. Not sure what to make of it really, on the one hand we looked much more assured in defence, we dealt with United's breaks much more effectively than in previous games and Song was back to his disciplined self, not straying much beyond the centre circle.

I think it's a positive they've been able to add a little more caution to their game of late. On the other hand, awful passing, lethargic breaks and general lack of confidence we could do anything when we had the ball... so overall I'm very disappointed.

United still the better side, but not by as much as in previous games. A little luck with the deflection and a stunning header by Park gave them a deserved 3 points. They are an amazing side really in the way they are able to grind out results and make their own luck.

Watching the replay of the peno there; shocking call from the linesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

As a neutral in the title race (Liverpool fan) I'd be disappointed if utd won at Chelsea. The only thing worse than a title race in a poor league is a poor league without a title race. Or any title race that doesn't have Liverpool in it - but I'm used to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

cson wrote: »
    Yeah Gibbs needs to be starting alright. I have a certain degree of sympathy for Clichy; he got no cover from Arshavin for most of the match - whereas in the same situation for United with our star man Nasri, Evra and Park were on him the whole time.

I agree. I think Gibbs isn't ready to be regular though, hasn't he been injured in most games he has started?

Arshavin has just had one stinker too many and it's not down to lack of ability, purely his attitude. Needs to be dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The penalty was definitely a penalty, just because he didn't mean it doesn't mean you are allowed to block the ball with your arm and I thought that the Chamakh one could have been called too for the same reason as even though he didn't mean to he was blocking a cross with his arm which wasn't by his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

When did this whole thing about a poor league gain momentum!? Ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

doc_17 wrote: »
    As a neutral in the title race (Liverpool fan) I'd be disappointed if utd won at Chelsea. The only thing worse than a title race in a poor league is a poor league without a title race. Or any title race that doesn't have Liverpool in it - but I'm used to that!
    What are you shíting on about?

The league is not won in December, no matter what Sky might say if United win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liam O wrote: »
    The penalty was definitely a penalty, just because he didn't mean it doesn't mean you are allowed to block the ball with your arm and I thought that the Chamakh one could have been called too for the same reason as even though he didn't mean to he was blocking a cross with his arm which wasn't by his side.
    Ball to hand is not a penalty whereas hand to ball is. Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Thought it was less a penalty than the accidental handball in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Yeah, very harsh I thought, shouldn't have been given.

When did this whole thing about a poor league gain momentum!? Ridiculous!

Tbh, did you see how many misplaced passes there were tonight from both teams? Some awful football at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

As a neutral in the title race (Liverpool fan)

It must be December.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nani is going cause trouble for any full back, he didn't have much protection in front of him, the goal was very lucky, he got a foot on the cross

Yes but earlier you said Nani didnt do much. I know the goal itself was lucky but clichy didnt close Nani properly. If he did no goal simple as that.

Wasn't a penalty for me because;

1. Clichy slipped, put his hand on the ground to get back up again

2. Nani kicked the ball at his hand, don't think deliberately its just the way it turned out.

3. There is absolutely nothing Clichy can do in that situation to avoid it; his hand is on the ground trying to get himself up again after he slipped. It's not a deliberate handball and its not an accidental one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

MOTM
    Rafael
    Anderson
    Vidic.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Thought it was less a penalty than the accidental handball in the first half.

Yup, if anything Chamakh's was more of a shout.

If the pen hadn't been awarded I don't think anyone would have complained too much, Sometimes those ones are given sometimes they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think it should have been given. if it was given against United I would have been super pissed. There was nothing he could have done to avoid it and the ball only moved about a foot so he didn't even have a chance to move it away (having not moved it towards the ball in the first place).

Still very disappointed with the penalty that rooney took, but that doesn't change the fact I think it was the wrong call in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Arsenal need plenty of signings in January - especially in the back four!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    What are you shíting on about?

The league is not won in December, no matter what Sky might say if United win.

If utd go 5 ahead of arsenal and 6 ahead of chelsea all interest would be removed for me as I believe they wouldn't throw it away. It was nice this weekend for a few teams to have the lead.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    It must be December.;)

Could have been septembet this year...

I wouldn't say plenty of signings at all; just need a plan B tbh.

Nah, we need to sign a new physio team :mad: We haven't fielded a full strength side since last season iirc. A fit Fabregas and RVP could have tilted that game in our favour tbh.

Yes but earlier you said Nani didnt do much. I know the goal itself was lucky but clichy didnt close Nani properly. If he did no goal simple as that.

I was more responding to the rape comment, he got a few crosses in, he didn't do that much, my point is your never going to keep nani quiet for 90 mins and I thought clichy did ok

• Advertisement

If utd go 5 ahead of arsenal and 6 ahead of chelsea all interest would be removed for me as I believe they wouldn't throw it away. It was nice this weekend for a few teams to have the lead.

Could have been septembet this year...

Cue Archi's league leaders at christmas image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

jank wrote: »
    Ref was a complete hommer. Rio should have seen a card, probably red...

Can't understand statements like that, I must have been watching a different match then. As per usual Howard Webb does his best to f*ck United over and thankfully it does not work tonight.

United were ok overall, and thanfully they did not have to be much better as Arsenal rarely got going. Both teams passing was awful, with United's margianlly better. Deserved win for United, nicely placed at the top and in great spirits to go to the Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I wouldn't say plenty of signings at all; just need a plan B tbh.

Experienced campaigners are needed - there is a pattern developing of the younger players choking in the big matches.

Obvious to me as a non Arsenal fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

To think Josh was arguably first choice right back and certainly my choice at the start of the season. Raf has come on a lot.

Anderson, welcome back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Anderson
    Ferdinand
    Rafael

Controlled the game, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sure didn't Chelsea win the league a month or 2 ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can't understand statements like that, I must have been watching a different match then. As per usual Howard Webb does his best to f*ck United over and thankfully it does not work tonight.

If it was a stream you were watching then I'd check it was a live one and not a repeat of an old game. I don't think even the most die hard United fans would say that the ref was against them tonight. You might even find a few honest ones who suggest the opposite.;)

Experienced campaigners are needed - there is a pattern developing of the younger players choking in the big matches.

Obvious to me as a non Arsenal fan!

Who was young and inexperienced in that team other than Wilshere and the keeper? Everyone else is an International or else has a bag load of appearences for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

feck it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We that was shíte.

United deserved winners, we were fúcking atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Clichy is the only one who needs to be replaced imo, the rest didn't have a whole lot to do tonight. Arsenal rarely enough just did not get the ball down and could not string any ammount of passes together. United didn't play very good but they didn't have to really. Arsenal will have to improve for the rest of the season but with a few players coming back hopefully tehy can all stay fit and make a good push for the rest of the season. Well done to United again, i'm still not convinced by this team but somehow Ferguson is working his magic again. I can imagine United fans are the only people to have enjoyed watching any of the game tonight, very poor quality all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement