Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Arsenal [8.00pm Sky Sports 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If United win this, they are in an incredibly strong position.

2 points ahead of Arsenal with a game in hand
    4 points ahead of Chelsea with a game in hand

If :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

we should be 7 points clear come january 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Arsenal should score in this game but I also can't see them keeping a clean sheet if United decide not to sit back.

Score draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

flahavaj wrote: »
    On the face of it United have every reason to be confident going into this, but given just how mental the season has been I have an awful feeling Arsenal could pull it off. Hope Anderson stays in the team.

Ah Anderson; himself Fletcher and Nani always seem to reserve MOTM performances for matches against us :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PHB wrote: »
    If United win this, they are in an incredibly strong position.

2 points ahead of Arsenal with a game in hand
    4 points ahead of Chelsea with a game in hand

If :)

3 ahead of Chelsea with a game in hand if United win tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

cson wrote: »
    Ah Anderson; himself Fletcher and Nani always seem to reserve MOTM performances for matches against us :p

Don't forget Park and Rooney too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Can't wait for this one. Nani could well be United's most important player. If he's on form, it's hard to see Clichy living with him. He'll be grand for pace but he's not a great defender and Nani on form will turn him inside out. Hoping for Rooney to continue his recent improvement and for the good Berbatov to show up.Some of those elements combined with Rio lasting the full game and I reckon United will win it.

There's sure to be some tasty attacks from Arsenal though and the Arshavin/Rafael battle is going to be fun.

Are United missing any first teamers other than Valencia? [I'm writing off Hargreaves as a firstie at this stage]

I think we're only missing Vermaelen [and possibly Fabregas] from what would be our first choice XI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

peabutler wrote: »
    I reckon 3-2 Arsenal, let's see how United deal with a proper attack for the first time this season.

We have already played against the mighty attacks of westbrom and newcastle united, how did arsenal fair against them again?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

We have already played against the mighty attacks of westbrom and newcastle united, how did arsenal fair against them again?:rolleyes:

On the other hand we did greatly restrict their opportunities if you look at the stats, we're not getting played off the park, individual mistakes and a lack of collective confidence are costing us greatly. But given what Evra was saying during the week it hopefully wont take much for them to raise their game.

Arsenal should control the middle of the park and create the bulk of the chances (they did so in almost all the big games last year). But the high back line will give United opportunities to counter, so it'll just be a case of who takes their chances.

Whatever the result, I would exect Arsenal to score. And I would expect there to be over 3 goals in the game.

Just like PHB was saying for United's season, this set of games is huge for Arsenal. Forget about the league standing, 2 wins from the games against United and Chelsea could go some way to removing the demons and self doubt in the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

3-0 United

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Szczesny to get shock start? It's what the rags are saying...
    The Sun wrote:
    ARSENAL are ready to give a shock call-up to third-choice keeper Wojciech Szczesny at Manchester United tonight.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is ready to throw the Pole, 20, into the firing line for his Premier League debut as No 1 stopper Lukasz Fabianski is struggling with a leg injury.

Wenger's decision will infuriate No 2 keeper Manuel Almunia, who has declared himself fit.

And, to makes matters worse for the Spaniard, who has a niggling elbow injury, Fabianski could still be on the bench ahead of him.

A friend of Almunia said: "He has become very frustrated at Arsenal this season."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Score draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

thegen wrote: »
    1-1 draw for me. On a side note Ferguson has pleaded with UTD fans to stop their abuse of Wenger.

People that chant this are the lowest form of life

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Szczesny to get shock start? It's what the rags are saying...
    ... his twitter hints at it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

0-0 I'll say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

tick-tock.... tick-tock...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

3-0, possibly 3-1 United. Nani, Rooney and Vidic for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jesus, this match is taking an absolute age to come around...come on already!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

With some many wise boardsies predicting a high scoring match, it's become obvious to me that we're looking at a 1-0 or 1-1.

As an Arsenal fan I just hope we're ahead going into the final quarter hour. Given United's frequent ability to pull good results out of the fire and our far more consistent ability to throw good results straight in, that's when United will score.

If we're to stand a chance of winning this game, then we need a defensive performance that we haven't really seen this year OR we just need to be two or more goals ahead going into the closing stages. :D

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Jesus, this match is taking an absolute age to come around...come on already!!!

I know, these Monday night games are not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I think this is going to be a high scoring draw. I'd fancy Rooney to get back to what he does best, and score against us. But I do feel that with Chamakh in there we could provide another test for the United centre backs who won't have had to deal with someone in there mixing it up, in an Arsenal team since at least Adebayor. 2-2 or 3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

1-1 I reckon, but a very entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Should be a class game, really looking forward to it. Hopefully United can win it but I won't try to call the result.

I'd love to see United Line-up like this....

Van der Sar, Rafael, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Nani, Fletcher, Anderson, Park, Rooney, Berbatov.

I really hope it's two upfront, can't imagine SAF will drop Berba and go with Rooney on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

2-2 draw for me.

Nasri and Chamakh for Arsenal and Rooney and Nani for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Its setup to be a class game . .

Fast forward - 21:48 - FT - 0-0 :(

I'm raging I'm gonna miss the first twenty minutes. First time we've had training in two and a half weeks and it's on tonight :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Really looking forward to this. Not sure what result I want, either way its still tight at the top of the premiership.

Utd to loose their first of the season? with the goal scoring ability in Arsenal, theres a chance. But then, the topsy turvy form of Arsenal could be back....

Magic night of football ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Hope to christ Carrick is not playing, if he does Arsenal will win.

I'll go with 2-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Loco wrote: »

I'll go with 2-2

I think Carrick always plays well against Arsenal. He's a very good passer of the ball and can be quite influetial when he's not under pressure and left do his stuff.

Playing against Arsenal suits Carrick right down to the ground.

• Advertisement

As I said already I think this is how we’ll line up:

Fabianski
    Sagna
    Squillaci
    Djourou
    Clichy
    Wilshere---Song---Rosicky
    Nasri
    Chamakh
    Arshavin

On paper that team is more than good enough to beat United. However that means nothing tbf as United still go into this one as favourites imo.

God knows how United will line up.

4-5-1 with Berbatov up front? I’d be happy we could deal with that.
    4-5-1 with Rooney up front? I’d be sure we couldn’t deal with that.
    4-4-2 with 2 of Berbatov/Rooney/Hernandez? If Utd line up like this they will definitely hurt us imo. It means we’ll probably boss the midfield and dominate possession, but since when does that mean a result against United?

Clichy’s form has certainly been a worry so far this year and with the form Nani has been in he’s probably going to rape him. Clichy has the pace to deal with him but his tendency for a brain fart has increased again this year so I wouldn’t be surprised to see us conceded from a Clichy mistake.

Equally our central defence has been poor this year. Again. Koscielny has been decent but has made plenty of mistakes, coupled with two reds already so far. Squillaci, for all the stick he gets has been our most solid central defender imo and should start this game. I’m hoping Djourou gets the nod over Koscielny as he has been playing much better when he gets the chance and his physicality would be handy for dealing with Rooney and his height would be a nice asset for defensive/offensive set pieces.

Sagna has been our best defender yet again this year and I hope he can keep this form up against whoever he’s up against tomorrow. Giggs? Park?

Song needs to revert to the Alex of last year. United slaughtered us on the counter attack last year where we were left exposed at the back. With Song getting involved increasingly higher up the pitch this season if we get caught and there’s no-one there in front of the defense to shield them things could get ugly for us very fast. I’d rather see the Song who didn’t move past the halfway line last season rather than the one who thinks he’s the new Fabregas we’ve seen this season. It’s under instructions from the manager but in a game like this we need to tailor our tactics in a little.

Assuming Scholes doesn’t play then Rosicky and Wilshere both have more than enough in the tank to boss the midfield. However I fully expect Darren Fletcher to have one of his unbelievable MotM performances that he seems to save for Arsenal games. In Wilshere, Rosicky and Song though we unusually have a midfield who are more than up for the physical side of the game and have no problem dishing it out as well as receiving it. I’d be worried Wilshere might get too carried away in letting someone ‘know he’s there’ and pick up an early booking.

Arshavin I’m not even going to comment on as God knows which one will turn up.

Super Andrei – Who molests defences for fun.
    Hungover Super Andrei – Who does nothing for 89 minutes and písses off every Arsenal fan, but scores one great goal so we love him anyway.
    It hurts to watch him Andrei – We saw this guy last week in the Partizan game. Woeful. I hope he’s more fired up for this match.

Even though RVP is fit I’d prefer to see Chamakh start this game. He’s much more match sharp and he’s done very well so far this year. We could argue that he could be more clinical with some chances he’s had (the Villa game in particular springs to mind) but he’s done very well for his first season in the Premier League and hi height and strength will be handy to have about on set pieces.

Nasri is in the form of his life at the moment. Luckily for us Evra is having somewhat of a dip in form. However unfortunately for us that means he’s probably only the second best LB in the league at the moment. This should be a very interesting battle, especially after Evra’s comments from Friday. If we’re going to do something in this game it’s going to stem from Nasri I reckon and I hope he can stay in the vein of form that’s seen him bang in 12 goals already this season.

This leaves us with the likes of RVP and Walcott to make an impact from the bench, which I fully expect them too at some stage. Unless we’re winning in which case I reckon we’ll see Eboué and Denilson come in off the bench.

Hopefully this will at least be a decent game of football. A win for Arsenal will see us 3 points clear of City and four clear of United and Chelsea. A win for United and they’ll go two clear at the top ahead of Arsenal and City and three clear of Chelsea with a game in hand. I expect us to dominate possession for long periods of time, get an early goal, but ultimately be caught out by the style of counter attacking football Utd used against us twice last year to great effect and come out 2-1 losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Really looking forward to this. Can see Arsenal nicking this. Hopefully an entertaining affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Frisbee wrote: »
    God knows how United will line up.

4-5-1 with Berbatov up front? I’d be happy we could deal with that.
    4-5-1 with Rooney up front? I’d be sure we couldn’t deal with that.
    4-4-2 with 2 of Berbatov/Rooney/Hernandez? If Utd line up like this they will definitely hurt us imo. It means we’ll probably boss the midfield and dominate possession, but since when does that mean a result against United?

It's a real dilemma for Ferguson. Last season for this fixture he dropped Berbatov to play 4-5-1 to match Arsenal in midfield. The 4-5-1 against Arsenal at the emirates last season worked a treat. Can't see him playing 4-4-2 although he must be in two minds after how well the team played against Blackburn.

I reckon he'll play 4-5-1, with Rooney and Nani on the wings supporting Berbatov, although Rooney hasn't played out wide in well over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

G'wan the draw!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Loco wrote: »

I'll go with 2-2

Ya because Carrick has been playing so bad lately. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for this game now and hope Fergie goes with two up top and also plays with Anderson in the center. Think it will be 2-1 with Chico to score another backwards header to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

2-0 or maybe
    3-0 to united

there will definately be at least one red card especially if paul scholes is playing :D

and at least one penalty too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Either United will win, or Arsenal will or it will be a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Lukker- wrote: »

amazing in depth analysis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

He's a very good passer of the ball and can be quite influetial when he's not under pressure and left do his stuff.

Yeah, influencing the team to slow down and be completely ineffective! You only ever see him pass backwards or if your lucky, sideways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQklkSQL0DSicUenb9Bfpkt09jCFPYMNK6NA_jm4MkL5iF-b8_HXQ

You ready for some of this.

I know Gilesey, you have to take each game on its merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    we should be 7 points clear come january 1st.

Ah the optimism... I can see Arsenal and Chelsea both beating you and the league thrown wide open, I dont think you'll be anywhere near 7 points clear, in fact I think you may be 3/4 points behind with a game in hand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just got a rush of confidence, I'm thinking 3-0 win to United!

I'll be back to this thread if we win

Good luck all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker, you free to join the RTE panel by any chance, or maybe replace Jamie "sit onthe fence" Redknapp :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Not to sure about this one. Arsenal haven't been doing great against us or Chelsea for a while. It's just really hard to predict this one. Hopefully it will be a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

For all their attacking brilliance Arsenal have not scored more than one goal in a league game at old trafford since 1984

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Spud83 wrote: »
    For all their attacking brilliance Arsenal have not scored more than one goal in a league game at old trafford since 1984

I reckon that will change tonight, the only thing is, it may not be enough to get the win..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They'll both lose. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Spud83 wrote: »

Surely this is tied to how United usually play against Arsenal though.

They sit back and hit Arsenal on the break. United's defence is very good normally so when they sit back it's even harder to break them down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement