Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Arsenal [8.00pm Sky Sports 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I can't help but feel confident about this game. Which worries me... :confused:

Arsenal's defence has been looking so unbelievably ropey that we just have to score a couple against them.

I'd like to see either a front three of Park-Rooney-Nani. Or two up top with Rooney and Little Pea. No Berbatov, only because Arsenal look to be totally incapable of dealing with pace.

I still expect Arsenal to dominate possession no matter how many we have in midfield.

Last thing, I really hope Anderson plays.

Paleface wrote: »
    Surely this is tied to how United usually play against Arsenal though.

They sit back and hit Arsenal on the break. United's defence is very good normally so when they sit back it's even harder to break them down.

To be fair, there have been plenty of wide open games between the two. Some of the best games I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I would like to see something like this:

VDS

---Rafa - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Nani - Ando - Scholes - Fletcher - Park

Rooney

I would like to see Rooney and Berba start but I think it could be dangerous to let Arsenal have control of the midfield. If Scholes starts it will have to be in a three. I say the above could be the team with maybe Scholes making way for Berba. If We go 442 it has to be Fletcher and Ando in the centre as they are more mobile than Scholes or Carrick and we will need their energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

peabutler wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQklkSQL0DSicUenb9Bfpkt09jCFPYMNK6NA_jm4MkL5iF-b8_HXQ

You ready for some of this.

Eh???

23e2ae931a0d30feb1a874f003452105.jpg

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I would like to see something like this:

VDS

---Rafa - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Nani - Ando - Scholes - Fletcher - Park

Rooney

I would like to see Rooney and Berba start but I think it could be dangerous to let Arsenal have control of the midfield. If Scholes starts it will have to be in a three. I say the above could be the team with maybe Scholes making way for Berba. If We go 442 it has to be Fletcher and Ando in the centre as they are more mobile than Scholes or Carrick and we will need their energy.
    yeah because Fletcher and Ando worked so well last time they played together :P Was probably a one off but still would not be confident at all of those 2 starting on their own in midfield, wouldn't mind Rooney on the left and Park in the middle, unfortunately that would leave Berba on his own up front where he more often than not plays shockingly bad because he doesn't stick to his position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Arsenal the better footballing side as they often were before, for all that it has mattered in the past. Expect them to be roughed up.

Also expect Man U to win through a penalty on a controversial call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arsenal the better footballing side as they often were before, for all that it has mattered in the past. Expect them to be roughed up.

yeah the refs all favouring United definitely has to be taken into account I suppose :rolleyes:

also the better footballing side is the one that puts the ball into the net most times.

Liam O wrote: »
    yeah the refs all favouring United definitely has to be taken into account I suppose :rolleyes:

also the better footballing side is the one that puts the ball into the net most times.

Yeah plus the implication that we also only win by roughing them up. Nothing to do with United's own footballing skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Poor old Arsenal. They really are better than everyone else but they get roughed up and screwed over by the the refs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The nerves be kicking in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

A tad RAWKish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Eh???

23e2ae931a0d30feb1a874f003452105.jpg

:confused:

Flapianski is injured apparently and so Szczesny will start at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

#15 wrote: »
    A tad RAWKish.
    Not entirely, he didn't mention anything about civilisation as we know it coming to an end as a result...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

With the talented yet unexperienced Sczcezny in goals (and whichever 2 central defenders start in front of him) it's difficult to not see United scoring at least 2 goals tonight. That said, Arsenal should have enough going forward to grab a few goals. I'd like to see

Sczcezny
    Sagna Djourou Koscielny Clichy
    Song Wilshere
    ----Nasri van Persie Arshavin
    Chamahk

with Fabregas and Walcott getting some game time in the second half as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ARGH me nerves!

Liam O wrote: »
    yeah because Fletcher and Ando worked so well last time they played together :P Was probably a one off but still would not be confident at all of those 2 starting on their own in midfield, wouldn't mind Rooney on the left and Park in the middle, unfortunately that would leave Berba on his own up front where he more often than not plays shockingly bad because he doesn't stick to his position

Well if we play Carrick in a 4 man midfield we could be over run. He is OK in a 5 man midfield but in a 4 against a team like Arsenal I just don't think he is good enough. He is a bit sluggish and doesn't have great energy. His thing is sitting deep and trying to get things going from there. But I dont think he will get the space he requires against Arsenal. Where Scholes for example doesnt need half as much space, mainly because he actually is a great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Lukker- wrote: »
    Either United will win, or Arsenal will or it will be a draw.

And we might get a streaker.....female preferably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Any word on Fabregas starting?

This has been the longest day in work EVER! Scratch that, this has felt like the longest wait between matches EVER!

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    This has been the longest day in work EVER! Scratch that, this has felt like the longest wait between matches EVER!

Ah but it'll be worth it to see an Arsenal win at the end of the day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Van der Sar 50/50?

Van der Sar 50/50?
    Source? That would not be good at all, It make for a great game for the neutral though with 2 dodgy keepers.

Source? That would not be good at all, It make for a great game for the neutral though with 2 dodgy keepers.

Speak for your own PIG, our replacement PIG is class! :D

2 PIG's playing

For anyone partial to a bet, Paddy Power have The Nazzer @ 6/1 to score anytime tonight. In the form he's in... not a bad bet.

Edit: Should say; that's if you go through the Arsenal website for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

cson wrote: »
    For anyone partial to a bet, Paddy Power have The Nazzer @ 6/1 to score anytime tonight. In the form he's in... not a bad bet.

Edit: Should say; that's if you go through the Arsenal website for the link.

Ill thank this post if/when he scores :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gotta go training tonight. Hope I come home to see us 4-0 up after 20 minutes...

COME ON YOU GOONERS!!!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Gotta go training tonight. Hope I come home to see us 4-0 up after 20 minutes...

COME ON YOU GOONERS!!!

I know your manager does not see some things, but no need to use large text on us.

A text from someone who saw it on a United forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Should be a good game but I reckon Manchester United will win this 2-0.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »

Hopefully at 20.20 United will be already after finishing it off. Frisbee comes home from training: FFUU_NOOOOOOOO-s328x281-53714-580.png

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Van der Sar 50/50?
    PIGS will fly tonight!

Ooooh me nerves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Massive opportunity for us tonight, although we haven't taken many of them in recent times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really do think we're the better footballing side, hope we can show this tonight. Getting excited now, come on the mighty Gunners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just how late was Fabregas' late fitness test?

Beginning to think we're going to see him tonight.

gosplan wrote: »
    Just how late was Fabregas' late fitness test?

Beginning to think we're going to see him tonight.
    He better be properly fit if so. Another sluggish performance from him and we'll be toast...

1 hour chaps.

Utd XI

VDS,

Rafael,
    Rio,
    Vidic,
    Evra,

Carrick,
    Anderson,
    Nani,
    Park,

Rooney,
    Berbatov

Good team, well happy with that!

He better be properly fit if so. Another sluggish performance from him and we'll be toast...

Aye. I'd be nearly tempted to leave him out all together.

Obviously that sounds insane but he hadn't played well since coming back from his other injury and I can't see how three weeks on the sidelines would have helped. Plus, Man U's high tempo game will really expose anyone not match fit.

We need him fit for the season, not this match. And if he was fully fit for this match, and I mean properly fit, then they would have known before today.

• Advertisement

No Fletcher? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nailz wrote: »
    Good team, well happy with that!

No Fletch or Scholes?

Szczesny, Sagna, Squillaci, Koscielny, Clichy, Denilson, Song, Wilshere, Nasri, Arshavin, Chamakh

Arsenal team:

Scz, Sagna, Squillaci, Koscielny, Clichy, Denilson, Song, Wilshere, Nasri, Arshavin, Chamakh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Nailz wrote: »
    1 hour chaps.

56 mins

oh fúck i'm shíttin it

Wilshere off Chamakh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arsenal team:

Scz, Sagna, Squillaci, Koscielny, Clichy, Denilson, Song, Wilshere, Nasri, Arshavin, Chamakh

Meh, would prefer Rosicky to Denilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Am I the only one who looks at a typical Arsenal starting 11 and goes who the hell is he, he, he, he, and him? Sometimes I think Wenger goes out of his way to find players with utterly obscure names.

Utd XI

VDS,

Rafael,
    Rio,
    Vidic,
    Evra,

Carrick,
    Anderson,
    Nani,
    Park,

Rooney,
    Berbatov

WOW!! No Fletch or Scholes? Don't get me wrong, I fully expect any Fergie midfield to do well but if I could have picked a midfield four for Arsenal to play against, that'd be it.

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    No Fletch or Scholes?
    Happy with Ando and Carrick to be honest.

Advertisement