Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axl Rose voted greatest lead singer of all time

Options
  • 11-12-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

came across this today. It's a top ten list of the greatest lead singers of all time, so I thought i'd post it here

Here's the Top 10 as voted by the visitors:

...1. Axl Rose
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Robert Plant
    4. Ronnie James Dio
    5. John Lennon
    6. Bruce Dickinson
    7. Thom Yorke
    8. Kurt Cobain
    9. Matt Bellamy
    10. Paul McCartney

Source(s): musicradar.com

Now I only have two problems about the list. The first being that IMO Freddie Mercury should be first. The other is the fact that Kurt Cobain is on the list, and that he has made 8th on it. Now I respect Kurt and all, but let's be real here. Should he be on the list, when guys like Ozzy Osbourne, Roger Daltry, Bruce Springstein, Eddie Veder and James Hetfield aren't(I'm being biased with the last one) Nonetheless, here's the list.

P.S sorry if already posted. Didn't see it anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I never bother me arse with crap polls like this, they mean absolutely nothing to me and anybody else probably.

A lot of it is down to lazy journalism, Kerrap are one of the worse culprits, i can imagine what goes on in there office "Guys, we're short of material for next week so we'll do the Top 10 left handed banjo players in the world"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Polls = ****

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm just gonna go with "No."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Matt Bellamy!?

And how the hell is McCartney in there? For his work with Wings???

Silly poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Robert Plant should be number 1.
    Absolute legend. (and I met him at an airport this year)
    Even comparing the really bad 1960-1970's audio quality with modern digital recording.

After that Chris Cornell has the best voice, in my opinion. Listen to his albums after Soundgarden to appreciate him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Yeah mean's absolutely nothing, Nonsense...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you need an argument for wearing earplugs at loud gigs, here it is. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

One 5 star album.

Two 3/4 star albums.

In a near 30 year career.

*sniggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

How about a boards.ie top ten ...

1. Robert Plant
    2. Chris Cornell
    3. Jeff Buckley
    4. Mike Patton

any more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Freddie should be first, although Axl will be proud, since he was always a huge Freddie fan

Cobain was a guitarist and a songwriter with talent, granted, but no frontman

Mike Patton should be there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

The list sucks because there is no:
    Chris Cornell
    King Diamond
    Roger Daltrey
    Ian Gillen
    Rob Halford
    Eddie Vedder
    Mike Patton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

These type of polls are always a bit ridiculous. I heard this one being discussed on Radio Nova yesterday evening....why bother? it's always going to be a very subjective thing.

For me, the Rolling Stone 100 greatest guitarists (just noticed that there's a thread on here for it, so I won't rant about it) was the worst example of this and I vowed never to take any notice of any more polls, on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think Phil Anselmo is an exceptional frontman.Fine,he may be a bit of a gee bag but his energy and the ferocity of is vocals is hard to ignore.

Liam Gallagher 94-01, very very very good. And although i hate his guts i have always said kelly jones has a fine set of lungs on him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This reminds me of the "Greatest" Drummer of last 25 years poll...pointless and just wrong (unless you're a Slipknot fan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

No Bon Scott, or Brian Johnson?

Shtoopid List.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If there is no Mike Patton or Phil Anselmo on any frontman poll, the people who voted deserve a smack for being braindead.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Shtoopid List.
    Bon Scott, good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Moke

I love GN'R (thankfully wasn't able to go to the concert in the O2) but Axl is a prick, and while maybe a quarter of his songs are brilliant, easily a quarter sound awful. Freddie Mercury should really be no. 1 Daltry should really be on the list and maybe Bon Scott or Johnny Rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm going to go against the prevailing opinion on this thread and say that of that list Axl is easily my favourite. In these days of squeaky-clean, assembly-line churned out, auto-tuned X-Factor singers he's the embodiment the rock n' roll ideal of someone who genuinely doesn't give a fuck. He suits himself, not his record company or his fans. He writes the music he wants with bandmates he wants and only releases it when he feels it's ready. He deals with performing live the same way. It's his way or the highway.

As someone once said, rock n' roll is about rebellion and Axl is one of the few rock frontmen that still rebels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Shtoopid List.

Bon Scott is in the top 20 if its the same poll i seen the other day (forget where it was) Johnson isnt in the Top 20.

And i agree, crap poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Malice_ wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the prevailing opinion on this thread and say that of that list Axl is easily my favourite. In these days of squeaky-clean, assembly-line churned out, auto-tuned X-Factor singers he's the embodiment the rock n' roll ideal of someone who genuinely doesn't give a fuck. He suits himself, not his record company or his fans. He writes the music he wants with bandmates he wants and only releases it when he feels it's ready. He deals with performing live the same way. It's his way or the highway.

As someone once said, rock n' roll is about rebellion and Axl is one of the few rock frontmen that still rebels.

Gonna have to disagree with you there.
    Axl is one of the biggest assholes in music. Chinese democracy, even though you didn't mention it was awful. He does suit himself, and know I can see he is only in it for the money-See his actions in Dublin not long ago

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    Axl is one of the biggest assholes in music. Chinese democracy, even though you didn't mention it was awful. He does suit himself, and know I can see he is only in it for the money-See his actions in Dublin not long ago
    Arsehole or not, doesn't make much of an impact on how good of a frontman he is. I still don't agree that he's the best frontman of all time, I don't even think he's close to be honest, but being an arsehole has nothing to do with it. In my opinion it's Mike Patton.

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    What are you disagreeing with? I never said he wasn't an asshole and I never said anything about Chinese Democracy. Are you disagreeing with my belief that he's my favourite singer on that list?

As for him only being in it for the money, do you really think that's the case given he took over fifteen years to release Chinese Democracy? If he was only interested in money he'd have had ten albums released in that time not to mention numerous greatest hits collections and of course you can be sure the fabled Guns N' Roses Reunion tour would have taken place before now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Axl Rose number 1? Ha..hahaha...AHAHAHAHAHAHA. And Kurt Cobain number 8? Great vocalist, but as a singer it's a crime that he even gets on that list.

And Devin Townsend is nowhere to be seen.

Skip to 35 seconds on this video and tell me that he doesn't deserve a place in the top 20. I challenge you.

And yes, if there's no Mike Patton, then you know the list is completely bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

#1 = Bon Scott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Freddie Mercury not #1 = fail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Malice_ wrote: »

Yawn .... whats he rebelling against ? "The man" :rolleyes: ... He's a spoilt , over indulged , bloated diva with little or no regard to people who spend their money buying his rather generic rock (when he bothers his arse to release it) or go see him in concert - and we all know about that.

Like Iggy Pop selling car insurance , or Johnny Rotten selling butter - all "rebellion" is a con.

Kill Your Idols indeed.

RayCon wrote: »
    Yawn .... whats he rebelling against ? "The man" :rolleyes: ... He's a spoilt , over indulged , bloated diva with little or no regard to people who spend their money buying his rather generic rock (when he bothers his arse to release it) or go see him in concert - and we all know about that.

Like Iggy Pop selling car insurance , or Johnny Rotten selling butter - all "rebellion" is a con.

Kill Your Idols indeed.
    I don't think you understood my point. it's precisely because he doesn't whore himself like Iggy Pop or Johnny Rotten that he deserves respect. He plays by his own rules. He released Chinese Democracy when he wanted, not when Geffen told him to. He tours when he wants, goes on stage when he wants and, as we saw in Dublin, calls a halt to gigs when he wants.

Just in case it's not clear, I don't agree with most of his behaviour. Fans of a band should be shown a lot more respect when it comes to live shows for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

RayCon wrote: »

Kill Your Idols indeed.
    I have to say, that ad was just depressing. The Rotten butter one wasn't as bad, but the Iggy one..

Advertisement