Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Axl Rose voted greatest lead singer of all time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    Gonna have to disagree with you there.
    Axl is one of the biggest assholes in music. Chinese democracy, even though you didn't mention it was awful. He does suit himself, and know I can see he is only in it for the money-See his actions in Dublin not long ago

I think that a lot of the population of Dublin have a more negative view against Axl then they might have done six months ago and if Axl were to do another gig here, and everything went well - just as it did in 2006 - then less people would be as eager to call for his blood. I'm not defending the man in the slightest but he did perform almost 60 more concerts around the world this year (he's in Australia as we speak) and no other gig has had the problems Dublin had.

Time is a great healer, it's an old saying, but well founded in truth and if we were based in Paris, or Rome, or Sydney...our opinion of Axl might be more positive at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I think that a lot of the population of Dublin have a more negative view against Axl then they might have done six months ago and if Axl were to do another gig here, and everything went well - just as it did in 2006 - then less people would be as eager to call for his blood. I'm not defending the man in the slightest but he did perform almost 60 more concerts around the world this year (he's in Australia as we speak) and no other gig has had the problems Dublin had.

Time is a great healer, it's an old saying, but well founded in truth and if we were based in Paris, or Rome, or Sydney...our opinion of Axl might be more positive at this moment in time.
    To be fair, Dub's are pretty negative on just about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think that a lot of the population of Dublin have a more negative view against Axl then they might have done six months ago
    There were people from all over Ireland affected by that gig, not just people from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I think that a lot of the population of Dublin have a more negative view against Axl then they might have done six months ago

Ah come on. We all knew he was an arsehole long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Malice_ wrote: »
    I don't think you understood my point. it's precisely because he doesn't whore himself like Iggy Pop or Johnny Rotten that he deserves respect. He plays by his own rules. He released Chinese Democracy when he wanted, not when Geffen told him to. He tours when he wants, goes on stage when he wants and, as we saw in Dublin, calls a halt to gigs when he wants.

Ah right ... gotcha , so now that he's done rebelling against "the man" (cos lets face it - once you've made your dollars it does tend to soften the angst) , he decides to retain "artistic credibilty" by not doing commercials or whoring himself out .... but instead decides to "rebel" against people he works with (touring/studio musicians, engineers etc) and ultimately people who pay his salary(people still foolish enough to buy his music , tickets and bullsh!t) under some lame arse excuse that it's "rock n roll" ... hhhmmmmmm , sound like a massive bucket of YAWN to me.

He makes Liam Gallagher look like the consummate professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Apart from freddie mercury maybe, mike patton blows away any from that top ten list, which shows these "voted" lists are totally irrelevant !!

Apart from freddie mercury maybe, mike patton blows away any from that top ten list, which shows these "voted" lists are totally irrelevant !!
    Mike Patton is above Freddie Mercury in my estimation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

markesmith wrote: »
    Matt Bellamy!?

And how the hell is McCartney in there? For his work with Wings???

Silly poll

i don't know i heard he was in a band called the silver beatles or something but they weren't too big. this was long before my time though so don't go a-quotin'.

i don't know i heard he was in a band called the silver beatles or something but they weren't too big. this was long before my time though so don't go a-quotin'.
    That's beside the point though, he was wasn't a very good singer, let alone frontman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RayCon wrote: »
    Ah right ... gotcha , so now that he's done rebelling against "the man" (cos lets face it - once you've made your dollars it does tend to soften the angst) , he decides to retain "artistic credibilty" by not doing commercials or whoring himself out .... but instead decides to "rebel" against people he works with (touring/studio musicians, engineers etc) and ultimately people who pay his salary(people still foolish enough to buy his music , tickets and bullsh!t) under some lame arse excuse that it's "rock n roll" ... hhhmmmmmm , sound like a massive bucket of YAWN to me.

He makes Liam Gallagher look like the consummate professional.
    I don't think he's ever been rebelling against "the man" so I don't know how he can be done doing it and I also don't think he's ever rebelled against people he works with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Malice_ wrote: »
    I don't think he's ever been rebelling against "the man" so I don't know how he can be done doing it and I also don't think he's ever rebelled against people he works with.

So who's he rebelling against ? What makes him a rebel ? Asrehole behaviour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Avoiding the obvious down sides to the man I don't think anyone could argue that he is/was an incredible vocalist. His voice is particularly distinguishable which in my view is a talent in itself.

I don't know if he is the best ever, I wouldn't normally even comment on those sort of poles but the guy is definitiely a great vocalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Surprised noone has mentioned Mick Jagger....

Also, not a single black man on the list..........

Bob Marley anyone?

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Surprised noone has mentioned Mick Jagger....

Also, not a single black man on the list..........

Bob Marley anyone?
    It's a very racist poll isn't it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Is anyone remotely suprised by this? Can anyone give me an example of one of these "Top ten" polls that wasn't incredibly stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Freddie Should be #1.

Fck Axl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Riddle101 wrote: »
    came across this today. It's a top ten list of the greatest lead singers of all time, so I thought i'd post it here

Here's the Top 10 as voted by the visitors:

...1. Axl Rose
    2. Freddie Mercury
    3. Robert Plant
    4. Ronnie James Dio
    5. John Lennon
    6. Bruce Dickinson
    7. Thom Yorke
    8. Kurt Cobain
    9. Matt Bellamy
    10. Paul McCartney

Source(s): musicradar.com

Now I only have two problems about the list. The first being that IMO Freddie Mercury should be first. The other is the fact that Kurt Cobain is on the list, and that he has made 8th on it. Now I respect Kurt and all, but let's be real here. Should he be on the list, when guys like Ozzy Osbourne, Roger Daltry, Bruce Springstein, Eddie Veder and James Hetfield aren't(I'm being biased with the last one) Nonetheless, here's the list.

P.S sorry if already posted. Didn't see it anywhere

that list's a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

David Coverdale is my fave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

saw a poll on recently, top 3 were 3 cobain(longshot),2 rose(huh,was'nt listening) and 1 Liam Gallagher(wtf)

this is my best
    1-Freddie Mercury(Queen)
    2-Roger Daltry(Who)
    3-Mick Jagger(Rolling Stones)
    4-John Lennon(Beatles)
    5-Jim Morrison(Doors)
    6-Sting(Police)
    7-Steven Tyler(Aerosmith)
    8-Phil Lynott(Thin lizzy)
    9-Ian Gillan(Deep Purple)
    10-Roger Walters(Pink Floyd)

feel free to pick and prod at it(the list that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

didnt look through it all but alot of ppl seem to be shouting for chris cornell!
    give me a fupping break. a screaching winey voice like him , i dont think so!

mercury or dickinson for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    No Bon Scott, or Brian Johnson?

Shtoopid List.

exactly as i was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

are you sure its not 'axl rose voted greatest lead singer of all time in fraggle rock" ....id believe that one

exactly as i was thinking!
    Bon Scott, definitely, although Brian Johnson isn't one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

Umm, James LaBrie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

RC88 wrote: »
    feel free to pick and prod at it

Is that a lump? You'd wanna get that checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭pavb2

Joe Strummer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

Numina wrote: »
    Is that a lump? You'd wanna get that checked.

ha ha,fair enough ya burned me mate, 1-0

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So some time has past since that gig in Dublin last september and do you think we will ever see them in Dublin again ????. If the orignal line up do get together again in the future it would be a same to see them not do an Irish show.

opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Bob Dylan??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Bob Dylan??

could not sing.

Advertisement