Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 - Arena

Options
  • 11-12-2010 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Booted this up for a dose of nostalgia.

And wow. How good is this game still?

Pure. Simple. FPS.

no f**kin experience points to worry about. no grades to reach. no complications. brilliant.

Better than UT99 for me. Then and now. There I said it.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

While I like both I always veered more on the UT99 side. Just liked the overall feel to the game more-so than Quake 3.

Plus this might interest ya:
    http://www.quakelive.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    While I like both I always veered more on the UT99 side. Just liked the overall feel to the game more-so than Quake 3.

Plus this might interest ya:
    http://www.quakelive.com/

Thanks for that.

Don't get me wrong. I played equal amounts of both but for exactly the same reason as you, i just preferred Quake. Something about the twitch-happy gameplay appealed to me more.*

Strange, considering now, I hate fast paced FPS and have settled in a comfortable preference for grinding away in Fallout and Oblivion.

*the one exception being the Escher level in UT99 (i think it was only downloadable) combined with the redeemer. brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Quake 3 \o/

Quake Live \o/ (when it works for me - I have a lot of bad luck with it)

Upcoming release of Quake Arena Arcade -o- - Will be buying...Should be interesting to see how it ports across.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I always like UT99 much more.

Then again I was always more into CTF then pure deathmatch.

Facing worlds ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

q3dm17, enough said. the game is brilliant, as the OP said; no achievements no p2p hosted servers.

quake 3 was the pinnacle of online fps multiplayer gaming until it was bastardised by consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

UT99 for me. so many mods. strangelove and matrixmoves, just brilliant. First PC game i ever bought for £20 back in virgin megastores.

quake 3 i liked but i found the bot system for UT much better and more of a challenge (only had dial-up at home so no online multiplayer for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Quake 2 FTW

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Playing some Q3 Vanilla and UT2004 at the LAN tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

quarryman wrote: »
    *the one exception being the Escher level in UT99 (i think it was only downloadable) combined with the redeemer. brilliant.

Escher level? Images of Escher staircases spring to mind. Any link?

Is this it?
    http://www.evilut.com/CTF-Escher.html

or the last one on this page?
    http://www.islandalien.com/unreal/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Monotype wrote: »
    Escher level? Images of Escher staircases spring to mind. Any link?

Is this it?
    http://www.evilut.com/CTF-Escher.html

or the last one on this page?
    http://www.islandalien.com/unreal/

right i've searched high and low and can't find it.

I'm pretty sure it's not the ones you've linked. I think it might be this one, [URL="http://www.fileplanet.com/35289/30000/fileinfo/DM-Escherland]["]Escherland[/URL].

It was brilliant though. The doorways and stairs looped back on each other. It was completely seamless. You could guide a Redeemer endlessly through the never ending entrances.

Can't even find a video of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

right i've searched high and low and can't find it.

I'm pretty sure it's not the ones you've linked. I think it might be this one, [URL="http://www.fileplanet.com/35289/30000/fileinfo/DM-Escherland]["]Escherland[/URL].

It was brilliant though. The doorways and stairs looped back on each other. It was completely seamless. You could guide a Redeemer endlessly through the never ending entrances.

Can't even find a video of it.

Nice. I tried making a few similar types of maps myself, but they always ended up confusing.

As for the topic. I never played Q3A. Plenty of Q1 & Q2 and spin off mods not needing Q3 (Urban terror). UT99 however, probably got... thousands of hours by this stage? Quakelive had really bad lag. Tutorial was barely playable!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Either this or Rainbow Six was the first game I ever played online. I thought I was deadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Playing some Q3 Vanilla and UT2004 at the LAN tonight :D

bastard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Booted this up for a dose of nostalgia.

And wow. How good is this game still?

Pure. Simple. FPS.

no f**kin experience points to worry about. no grades to reach. no complications. brilliant.

Better than UT99 for me. Then and now. There I said it.

Discuss.

If you ask me, the decline in quality of online FPS'es started with BF2 when it introduced unlocks, stats, and ranking bull****. I hate all that crap. Give me a pure fps like dod:s, uncluttered with stupid ranks and numbers designed to keep the attention span of ADHD kids any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Anyone from boards playing the quake 3 arena online? We run a server here now and then for online games between 3 or 4 of us.

There are still no shortage of players running servers online anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very rarely hop on. Usually play for a while at the montly LANs in Athlone, but thats about it

Good crack it is, i usually run it on a notebook here as a pure server then give one or 2 the ip address, and join it myself from another pc in the house. Sometimes play on the online servors that are always up, hard goin on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

At least q3 and ut99 need some proper skill , unlike all those cod and bf games

• Advertisement

Yes they have a huge skill level potential alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just thought i`d post this here re UT. A good players are featured from my clan, finality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Quake Live is good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

so much better then any other fps game online.

depth people - thats the important thing

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Quake 2 map edge = profit....

Newer got into quake 3, but quake 2 was legendary.

I really hope duke nuken will have same old fps system like old on and quake etc. Health packs, armors, you shoot what you pick up. Secret spots in map etc... Goldem age...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You guys do know we have a Quake Forum right...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you ask me, the decline in quality of online FPS'es started with BF2 when it introduced unlocks, stats, and ranking bull****. I hate all that crap. Give me a pure fps like dod:s, uncluttered with stupid ranks and numbers designed to keep the attention span of ADHD kids any day of the week
    BF2 was still a legendary game though. They got the ranking system right, it was just a small section of the online portion of the game. The actual online play was immense (Still is as a matter of fact). COD4 is what ruined it all by introducing prestige levels and perks and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Quake Live is pretty good too.

It's quite an amazing technical achievement too.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I have Quake 3 & UT99 both on my shelf to the left of me - This thread makes me want to chuck Quake 3 on the computer and give it a bash now that I actually have 20meg connection, try to shake off my "Ive not played a competative FPS in years" dust and then actually try to experience it properly... Not sure how many people still play those two games but in all honesty I wouldn't be suprised if there were still longterm diehard community members of each game trucking away merrily or the odd chap just 'trying it out'.

May try that some bored evening - I miss the irritating wailing you get when playing as Klesk (Blue Alien, was always my favourite model for some reason).

Quake 3 still has loads playing it, we run a server on notebook here every time we want to play and just get 3 or 4 of us onto it usin ip address to it. My son and my da and myself usually play over net against each other. Good crack it is.

There is a patch needed to update it for modern online playing. Easy to get it.

Advertisement