Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to a DM thats not on your network

• 11-12-2010 7:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Ok, Hope I explain this correctly. My friend has a DM and i want to upload a new channel list to it (Its easier if I do it then try to teach him). How do i go about connecting to his DM to do this. We both have internet connections and i know his box is connected to the internet? Im sure its possible to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

"Teamviewer" apllication will hepls,its remote desktop you can show him everything.
    DM-router -connection to router
    Dreamboxedit-channell list editor
    Much easier without hassle with open port etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

joker@ wrote: »
    "Teamviewer" apllication will hepls,its remote desktop you can show him everything.
    DM-router -connection to router
    Dreamboxedit-channell list editor
    Much easier without hassle with open port etc.

Ill take a look, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

All you need to do is put his ip address in dbedit and know his user and password which is root and dreambox by default unless he changed it. Then upload in dbedit exactly like you would to your oWn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

irishchris wrote: »
    All you need to do is put his ip address in dbedit and know his user and password which is root and dreambox by default unless he changed it. Then upload in dbedit exactly like you would to your oWn :)

Can you expand on this. Do you need the ip address of their box? Currently i give a few friends a memory stick with new channel list to update their boxes. But your solution would be way more practicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

You'll need his external IP address aswell as ensuring the relevant ports are open on his router to allow you access ... but it can be done

• Advertisement

Yes his external ip and open ports in his router. You will see the 2 ports that need opening if you go to dbedit and options

so external IP address and what else? Ip address of the box as well?

snaps wrote: »
    so external IP address and what else? Ip address of the box as well?

no simply his external ip - it will automatically connect to his dreambox with just this. but ensure you have ports 80 and 21 open on HIS router. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

no simply his external ip - it will automatically connect to his dreambox with just this. but ensure you have ports 80 and 21 open on HIS router. :D

And forwarded to his internal IP..

So i just need to find out his IP address, whats the best website to find the IP address? http://whatismyipaddress.com/

• Advertisement

its works an absolute treat. Thanks guys. Didnt realise it was so easy!

no probs glad could help

And forwarded to his internal IP..

How do i do that, do i need to be at his computer?

Yes you need to be connected to his router in his house. So go to His house and go to menu and network on his dreambox and make sure you do not have dhcp selected but instead put in a fixed ip like 192.168.1.50. if it is eircom put 192.168.1.254 into internet explorer password is broadband1. Then forward ports 21 and 80 to the dreambox ip (192.168.1.50).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Turtles Run

Hi Guys,

First time poster here and my question is the main reason why I set up my boards acc to be fully honest!

I received a call this morning on my house phone from a person claiming to be from the windows technical support team telling me that my home computer is downloading harmful files and that I am not aware of this and he was trying to get me to download teamviewer which he said he could help me address these problems by him accessing and taking control of my computer once I downloaded the software. I was very skeptical as I have heard horror stories in the past of people getting phone calls and leaving people take control of there computers.

I asked him a few question like can you prove you are who u say you are and all he could give me was the end of the CLSID number once I ran " cmd"

I also asked him where his office was and he said Dame street.

If any of ye can help me and tell me if this sounded like a genuine call I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is a scam - do not give them any details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Turtles Run

It is a scam - do not give them any details.

Thanks Ronan. I found the thread discussing it!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69572115#post69572115

Also it made national news this week http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69572115#post69572115

Feckers!!!

These companies should be found and every employee should be locked up! They are nearly as bad as the bankers!!!

Advertisement