Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Meat

Options
  • 11-12-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I got an early present fo a webber smoker, gonna try it out tomorrow, I'm thinking pork sholder or brisket if I can get it. Does anyone have any top tips or practical experince they would like to share? Thanks in advance

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Let us know how you get on - been thinking about converting an old fridge into a fish smoker.
    It's one I recovered that was dumped, and its currently being used for Delaneys water trough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Bren_C wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I got an early present fo a webber smoker, gonna try it out tomorrow, I'm thinking pork sholder or brisket if I can get it. Does anyone have any top tips or practical experince they would like to share? Thanks in advance

B
    Smoking meat takes a long time and a lot of patience to get it just right.But it's so worth it :D Those two cuts of meat should be easy enought to get from a good butcher, and will take 12-14 hours to smoke. So if you want something for dinner you'll need an early start. Use hickory wood for best results and invert in a BBQ thermometer with a probe that you can insert into the meat. It will let you know when it's cooked correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Hi,

My mom smoked numerous chickens this summer using a simple Webber BBQ. There was a spit roasting type grill appliance with the BBQ and she used this and charcoal. Also you can buy wood chips that you soak in water for 30 mins then drain the water and add the chips to the coal to make it extra smokey!

A full chicken took bout 2 hours and was lovely! Ham took bout 2 hours too and was also really nice.

If anyone has the equipment to do this I would heavily recommend trying it. Takes bout 15 mins to set up and well worth the effort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chillipalmer

Hi lads anyone know where u can get a smoker and chips in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've a cuban mate who cooks a lot with shoulder of pork. He insists on melting some butter with spices like smoked paprika, cayenne pepper etc. Then he uses a syringe and injects the meat with the butter mix to keep it moist during roasting. I'm sure the same would apply with smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chillipalmer

Cheers pal. Sounds good will try it soon. Does he slow cook it in oven?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yeah but if you have the smoker maybe try starting it off in that

Advertisement