Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I run multiple websites?

• 11-12-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

I have a computer which I will turn into a home web server its

1.7Ghz P4
    512 mb ram
    20gb hard drive

First of all would it be better to run windows xp or ubuntu?

But after I configure apache to run virtual hosts or multiple websites can I configure AWstats and joomla to run separately for these separate websites? (It will be for some friends to host their own websites)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Darkphenom wrote: »
    But after I configure apache to run virtual hosts or multiple websites can I configure AWstats and joomla to run separately for these separate websites?

Yes and yes but I'd just use Google Analytics instead of AWstats - it's much simpler. For each instance of Joomla, you'll setup a different MySQL database and point the Joomla install wizard at that particular database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

Is there anywhere I could find more information or tutorials on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You don't need much hardware-wise to run websites, even multiple websites.

What you will have to worry about is getting a static IP address and bandwidth. Many ISP's won't give you a static IP. You can work around this using a dynamic IP provider, but it will add some lag to your response time.

And even with a beefy connection you might find your websites are still extremely slow due to the cap on upload speed or throttling to port 80 by your ISP.

Oh yeah, many companies and ISPs block mail coming from home user allocated websites, so you might have issues sending emails from forms on the site unless you use an outside service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭Nollog

Darkphenom wrote: »
    ubuntu
    Or any linux version will give you better results than windows xp [with your hardware and what you want to do].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Use Linux and Webmin (Virtualmin).

I use CentOS for hosting, but Ubuntu will be fine too. After install set it to boot to no GUI (saves memory) and use Webmin for administration.

You have less than 4GB RAM so use a 32bit version of Linux.

• Advertisement
Advertisement