Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and selling car in Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Can someone in the know explain the pitfalls of Roadworthiness, esp. in Victoria?

As far as I know (and pls correct me if wrong):

You can't sell a car without a roadworthy certificate in VIC. Even if you exchange money and receipts, the new owner cannot register the car in their name until they've roadworthied the car. The disadvantage to that is if they prang it because they're driving it before RWC comes through, it's YOUR car they've pranged.

Basically himself sold our 15 year old Falcon with no RWC just before he went into the army. The fella who bought the Falcon hasn't sorted out the RWC yet, and is driving the car around locally. I text him every week to see what's the story - I knew the car needed work doing to pass RWC, up to $1500 worth, and husband told the buyer this when they were exchanging money.

Thing is I'm terrified to cancel my insurance on the Falcon (which is still running out the end of its year and I wouldn't get much cash back on it anyway) in case the guy who bought it ploughs it into some soccer-mom's 4x4 full of kids or something before he gets the RWC and while it's still registered in husband's name.

Opinions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

You Can SELL a car without a RWC, you can Sell a car without Wheels and an Engine, you just have to tell the buyer that it lacks RWC/Wheels/Engine etc.

the Buyer cannot re register the Car without a RWC tho. So He's probably doing what a lot of people Do and trying to run out the Rego under your name. AFAIK its the same in VIC as it is in QLD, they have 30 Days from recieving the Car to submit the Change of ownership forms and register the car in their name. if they havent done that then technically the car is still yours, report it as stolen, that should focus the other guys attention ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Can someone in the know explain the pitfalls of Roadworthiness, esp. in Victoria?

As far as I know (and pls correct me if wrong):

You can't sell a car without a roadworthy certificate in VIC. Even if you exchange money and receipts, the new owner cannot register the car in their name until they've roadworthied the car. The disadvantage to that is if they prang it because they're driving it before RWC comes through, it's YOUR car they've pranged.

Basically himself sold our 15 year old Falcon with no RWC just before he went into the army. The fella who bought the Falcon hasn't sorted out the RWC yet, and is driving the car around locally. I text him every week to see what's the story - I knew the car needed work doing to pass RWC, up to $1500 worth, and husband told the buyer this when they were exchanging money.

Thing is I'm terrified to cancel my insurance on the Falcon (which is still running out the end of its year and I wouldn't get much cash back on it anyway) in case the guy who bought it ploughs it into some soccer-mom's 4x4 full of kids or something before he gets the RWC and while it's still registered in husband's name.

Opinions?

You can sell a car in Victoria without roadworthy, however, the seller removes the number plates from the car and returns them to VicRoads along with a copy of the paperwork showing the buyer details etc.. From this moment on the seller is no longer connected to this car and is not responsible for it. The buyer can then go to VicRoads and get the number plates back and has a certain number of days (I think it’s around 30 or so) to obtain RWC. The car is now in the buyers name and they must produce the RWC cert to VicRoads when they obtain it. The seller is not liable for any damage caused by this car if this procedure is followed.

However, often what happens, especially with people who are leaving the country for good is, they will sell the car, leave the plates on it and not do the paperwork. In this case the car is still in the sellers name and they would be liable for any damage aswell as speeding & parking tickets. Selling a car in this way is also illegal.

The reason people sell the car with the plates on it is because they will get a good bit more money for the car as the buyer will not have to get RWC and fix any repairs which may be need.

If your husband did the first then there is no need to worry. The second case is a different story.

I’m pretty sure what I’ve said is right but an open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hmm I dont know

Registered vehicles
    A registered vehicle must be sold with a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC). You can still transfer registration up to 3 months after it expires. After this time the registration will be cancelled.

Seller’s responsibilities:

* provide the buyer with a Certificate of Roadworthiness that is no more than 30 days old when the sale takes place.
    * fill in the ‘seller’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form

There is the place to look at

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/BuyingSelling/

Hmm I dont know

Registered vehicles
    A registered vehicle must be sold with a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC). You can still transfer registration up to 3 months after it expires. After this time the registration will be cancelled.

* provide the buyer with a Certificate of Roadworthiness that is no more than 30 days old when the sale takes place.
    * fill in the ‘seller’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/BuyingSelling/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, I forget that little detail meself sometimes too, The Plate belong to YOU not the Car, when you sell the car or scrap it you are supposed to give the Plates back if its not got a RWC. its different to Ireland in that respect, trailers are supposed to be registered seperatley too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah, I forget that little detail meself sometimes too, The Plate belong to YOU not the Car, when you sell the car or scrap it you are supposed to give the Plates back if its not got a RWC. its different to Ireland in that respect, trailers are supposed to be registered seperatley too

Trailers have their own registration and number plate, its about $140. Plus you need a pink slip every year for the rego renewal ($25)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Zambia wrote: »
    Hmm I dont know

Registered vehicles

From your own link to VicRoads it is fairly clearly outlined.

There are two ways a car can be sold in Victoria. Registered or Unregistered. In order to sell a vehicle Registered you must provide a RWC.
    If you are not providing RWC then the only other option of selling it is Unregistered which involdes removing the plates etc.
    Below is the rest of the information in the link you provided.

Unregistered vehicles
    An unregistered vehicle can be sold without a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

• cancel vehicle registration, remove number plates and return them to VicRoads. Refunds on registration are available if you cancel registration before it expires and the registration was in your name.
    Buyer’s responsibilities:

Sorry S>C i was not actually refering to your post.

Just providing the link.

Sorry S>C i was not actually refering to your post.

Just providing the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 nzae86

Yeah, but I've nerver had a Car with a warranty before, the last couple of years I've convinced the Boss that new Cars were a retarded waste of Money when I could get Something Cheap and Second hand to do the job just as well, He wanted to Buy a new Nissan Patrol Ute, but there is no fuppin way I'll allow another Nissan on the fleet, He loves them I hate them horid thing to drive and mechanicaly inferior to the Cruisers, this came up as a compromise, Instead of him buying a GU Nissan I get a Great wall and he gets an 07-09 falcon/fairlane or an 03-05 5 series, he's not a BMW Fan tho :rolleyes:

a couple of points

1) in Australia new utes make sense the tax write offs and residual value make them work hence why so many companies keep the fleet up newish unlike ireland where new stuff is throwing money away

2) how can you call a patrol inferior to a cruiser, yes the ZD30 engined patrols are proven not to be worth a pinch of ****, however the TD42 and TD42t engined patrols are known for superior relaibilty than the 1HD-FTE engined cruiser of the same age.

3) furthermore if your talking about the relability of 1VD-FTV 4.5 V8 engined cruisers is they are unreliable, its a well acknoweldged fact that they have oil consumption problems that still arent ironed out 3 yrs later

4) the latest cruiser ute front track is 30mm wider to accomodate the 4.5 V8, they havent increased the rear track to match hence there name as a "landcrab" awakward on tracks

5) it is a well know fact the patrol is more stable on hills it has greater roll over angle

6) i dont understand how you think there horid to drive the patrol is more "luxorious" if you can use that word than the cruiser and a coil sprung st is obviously way more comfortable than a cruiser

so the patrol v cruiser argument is denpendat on what comparsion your making the TD42 engined patrol is a superior ute

6) you mentioned buying an ex mine ute, you clearly have money to burn or are blinded by the "ssupposed good value" you couldnt possibly buy a worse vehicle in Australia than an ex mine car

7) I cant beleive anyone would even wast there time going to a great wall dealer, worthless heap of chinese ****e

for the record i've owned cruisers and patrols for yrs and yrs i currently have a 200 series cruiser (amazon) and wrecked GQ patrol ute (TD42t) engine with 450,000km on it, that has pulled 3 ton 300km off road in 40 degrees last week and regualry does so and has never ever ever missed a beat, i am considering getting a v8 cruiser ute but the oil consumption would need to be sorted.

Advertisement