Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner permit question...

• 11-12-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I passed my bike and car theory test last year and I had a provisional license for both the car and bike. Then when I passed the driving test last summer, the guy took my provisional licence and gave me a full license for the car.

So now I have a full license for the car but I have no provisional license for the bike. Do any of you know how can I get back my provisional bike license? And if I get it back now would I have to do that assessment thing before I get to ride a bike??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fill out a permit form like you would normally(photos etc), go to the tax office. You should be able to get your old permit reissued. Its what I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

No the new regulations won't apply to you. This is only to new licenses issued after the 6th of December. As you would be just renewing yours, you would be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Fill out a permit form like you would normally(photos etc), go to the tax office. You should be able to get your old permit reissued. Its what I did.
    Spudmonkey wrote: »
    No the new regulations won't apply to you. This is only to new licenses issued after the 6th of December. As you would be just renewing yours, you would be fine.

What these guys said ^^^^^^^

It's a terrible flaw in the system that when you pass your test in a single category you leave the tax office with one licence and 0 permits. I lost my A/A1/M permits just like OP - passed my car test and was given no learner permits back. Not everyone thinks to ask for the other 3 permits back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I used have a provisional bike licence with my provisional car licence.
    When I passed the car test five years ago they took my provisional licence and gave me a full license for the car. So because of the new regulations coming in I went in to the tax office a couple of weeks ago to get a new learner permit for the bike. They told me because my provisional expired five years ago that I will have to start from scratch again and do a new theory test. To make matters worse the theory test was all booked out until after the 6th. So now I'm faced with having to take a new theory test and take compulsory lessons.
    Even though I used have a provisional bike licence and already did the theory test. It well and truly sucks..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

PWEI wrote: »
    I used have a provisional bike licence with my provisional car licence.
    When I passed the car test five years ago they took my provisional licence and gave me a full license for the car. So because of the new regulations coming in I went in to the tax office a couple of weeks ago to get a new learner permit for the bike. They told me because my provisional expired five years ago that I will have to start from scratch again and do a new theory test. To make matters worse the theory test was all booked out until after the 6th. So now I'm faced with having to take a new theory test and take compulsory lessons.
    Even though I used have a provisional bike licence and already did the theory test. It well and truly sucks..:mad:

I could be wrong but I think the IBT only applies to people who obtain their first learner permit after the 6th of December. Although you would have to 'start from scratch' in terms of doing another theory test, you might escape the IBT on the grounds that you have obtained a Learner Permit before the 6th December, which is the first exception listed here

Best of Luck, hopefully you're exempt ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I could be wrong but I think the IBT only applies to people who obtain their first learner permit after the 6th of December. Although you would have to 'start from scratch' in terms of doing another theory test, you might escape the IBT on the grounds that you have obtained a Learner Permit before the 6th December, which is the first exception listed here

Well that sounds like good news,they never told me that in the tax office.
    I could handle doing another theory test again but not taking all those lessons.
    I must look in to it,thanks.

I was of the understanding that if you let five years lapse its thought of as your first permit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I was of the understanding that if you let five years lapse its thought of as your first permit again.

Where did you hear that? It may well be the case.

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? It may well be the case.

Came up when my dad wanted to get his bike category back after he noticed it wasn't on his license any more. He was basically told they don't keep records back after five years and that any application would be treated as a first including theory test and restriction. I can't see why CBT wouldn't apply too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Cheers for the answers guys!
    So if I just go down and fill out the form I should be able to get my bike learner permit back... I won't need anything else right?...

I'll probably do it sometime next year though... Might look into getting a bike this summer as the car's getting quite expensive to maintain with the rising cost of petrol and parking charges...

• Advertisement
Advertisement