Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United V Liverpool. 5:30pm

• 11-12-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

[Insert team crests here]

Once again we're the talking point of the football world with our latest nonsensical decision to sack Chris Hughton on Monday.

Alan Pardew takes over the reigns for his first home game against an in form Liverpool side.

In all honesty, I don't see us getting anything from the game and see an absolute trouncing on the cards.

The only positives are that Nolan and Barton are back in contention, as is Steve Harper.
    The injury suffered to Danny Simpson against West Brom is still unclear and is marked as doubtful to play.

As for Liverpool. Carragher, Gerrard and Agger all miss out through injury while Fernando Torres (just what we need) is set to return having been given a leave of absence while his wife was in labour.

Can't see past a 3-0 win to Liverpool to be honest.

*faint positivity*

Howay the lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Given how Liverpool have being playing since Gerrard, and then Carragher, went out injured, I can see Liverpool doing well again today.

But if Newcastle turn up with a point to prove, then they have the players to get a result themselves.

I do think that the Lucas/Meireles pairing in the centre will be the difference though, and will allow Liverpool to get a grip on the game.

I see, well I hope anyway, Newcastle losing 3-1 or 4-2, and thousands of Geordies voicing their displeasure, and rightfully so imho, towards Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't normally like my team playing an away fixture against a side playing their first match under a newly appointed manager. But i think this could be an exception.

Pardew isn't exactly gonna get a great reception. It may well be a weird atmosphere and if we can start positively and maybe even get an early goal, events during the week can turn into our advantage.

If we can keep up our level of performance from the last few matches, i think we can win this. I'll go for a 2-0 win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm, hopefully the same starting 11 (minus one of Babel/NGog and plus Torres) as Villa game. This is a good opportunity for RH to put his best foot forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Newcastle fan here.....

For some strange I think we will get a result today, I think Pardew will want to start off his tenure at this club with the best possible start and will demand a performance from the team.
    I think the fans will be sceptical at the beginning of the game but if the players show some spirit and fight, there will be no doubt that they will get behind the team.

With regards to the two teams on paper, obviously torres is a big threat, especially with taylor and campbell at the back, they will need to have big games today if we are to get a result.

I think we should control the midifeld, if tiote, barton and nolan all start, there is no excuse, if they are on form then it shouldn't be a problem against lucas and meireles.

Obviously our main man Andy Carroll will need to be a threat throughout the game, he didn't have the greatest of games last week against West Brom so I'm sure he can't wait for kick off to put that right.

If the team go out with fire in their bellys and if the crowd get behind them sooner rather than later, then I think we should win this game.

Howay the Lads!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Newcastle were a hard enough team to play against a few weeks ago and Carroll and co were capable of scoring agaonst most teams. The 'new' manager syndrome might kick in but if 'pool line up with the right formation ( lucas and meireles in the middle) we should take 3 points home. Really looking forward to this one. I cannot see it being 4-3 ( those were the days) but it could be entertaining to see the least.
    3 more points will be very welcome indee, to continue our 'slow' rise up the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I've not been more confident of a liverpool win all season. Think it could be 3 or 4 nil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hope Pool hammer them, hope Ashley goes or Geordies go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Trilla wrote: »

:rolleyes:

That_Guy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

The post match will be more interesting than the match if Newcastle loose. Interesting to see how the fans react to Pardew. Depends on if the rumors of Pardew sitting in the wings for months while Ashley found an excuse to sack Hughton are believed.

No new manager boost in this game folks, that i can guarantee!

• Advertisement

thanks for that

Just wondering why it is that you hope we go down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yes to a Liverpool win.

Yes to Ashley leaving.

No to them going down.

Just wondering why it is that you hope we go down?

To be honest, I don't. I just think the whole Chris Hughton this was a farce. I retract that statement! Anyways don't want to take this thread off rails. I do hope Liverpool win today though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don't really see us getting anything from todays game, the only thing that may work in our favour is if the players go out and give a performance for Chris. But considering their confidence and morale is probably shot to pieces combined with Liverpool stringing a bit of consistency together the last few games, I'm going to have to say 1-3 or 1-4 Liverpool :(

Howay the Lads

To be honest, I don't. I just think the whole Chris Hughton this was a farce. I retract that statement! Anyways don't want to take this thread off rails. I do hope Liverpool win today though!

Don't get me wrong, it was a farce. But there's a whole other thread for that.

Go team!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Pool need a good away performance like what they showed against spurs.
    1 nil Kuyt:)
    Any decent streams for espn games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Liverpool to win 3-1 with Torres bagging a brace! I sure hope so anyway ;)

All depends on the first goal. If Liverpool get it, it could get very messy!

I wonder how many are boycotting today's game.

I wonder how many are boycotting today's game.

i would say a few, most will make their feelings known before the game outside the ground and get behind the team much the same as when KK was shafted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is this match on Sky or Espn?

Nephew wrote: »
    Is this match on Sky or Espn?

www.livesportontv.com ESPN

I wonder if Pardew will make any tactical changes or will he follow on from what Chris had done?

Can see Krul being dropped to the bench and Harper coming back in.

I wonder if Pardew will make any tactical changes or will he follow on from what Chris had done?

Can see Krul being dropped to the bench and Harper coming back in.

Cant see him making any tbh, although if harps is fit...

Barton would have to come straight back in if he is fit

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Will be very interesting the line up, will he leave Routledge on the wing or play Barton out of position that worked so well for Chris..
    Ameobi dropped for Nolan..
    If Simpson is out do we have to look at Perch again!!

gav86 wrote: »
    Will be very interesting the line up, will he leave Routledge on the wing or play Barton out of position that worked so well for Chris..
    Ameobi dropped for Nolan..
    If Simpson is out do we have to look at Perch again!!

Id think Ryan Taylor is ahead of perch, is simmo injured?

Nolan and Barton sorely missed last week. I know Nolan has his critics but hes far far better than the alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

M5 wrote: »
    Id think Ryan Taylor is ahead of perch, is simmo injured?

Nolan and Barton sorely missed last week. I know Nolan has his critics but hes far far better than the alternative

Read somewhere that he picked up a knock last weekend and was doubtful. Cant find a link to where i read it tho!

I think Nolan and Barton should be available for today, they both took part in a full training session yesterday AFAIK

It's been mentioned here already, as long as Newcastle don't concede and early goal I would be confident of them getting a result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I saw on the yellow strip of Soccer Saturday that the match is live on ESPN. Is ESPN Murdoched owned as well??? I thought they were rival channels??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Apparently we're the same as last week cept Torres in for Babel. Wouldn't be surprising at all if thats the case.

Reina

Johnson
    The Greek
    Skrtel
    Konchesky

Maxi
    Meireles
    Lucas
    Kuyt

Torres
    N'gog

That team should be able to beat Newcastle if we go about it the same we went about it at Spurs. New manager syndrome could be a big factor though, wouldn't be too surprised to see Newcastle put in a big performance today.

I'll predict a tight win for Liverpool. 2-1.

MR NINE wrote: »
    Apparently we're the same as last week cept Torres in for Babel. Wouldn't be surprising at all if thats the case.

Reina

Johnson
    The Greek
    Skrtel
    Konchesky

Maxi
    Meireles
    Lucas
    Kuyt

Torres
    N'gog

That team should be able to beat Newcastle if we go about it the same we went about it at Spurs. New manager syndrome could be a big factor though, wouldn't be too surprised to see Newcastle put in a big performance today.

I'll predict a tight win for Liverpool. 2-1.

Didn't you lose at Spurs? :confused:

Didn't you lose at Spurs? :confused:

Yeh. You never see a team play well and lose before?

Basically what I mean is that we went out with a positive mindset, with the focus on attacking rather than defending. In most of our other away games we've adopted a very negative mindset and played very deep just trying not to concede. Spurs was probably our best away performance this season and it was mistakes/poor defending rather than tactical ineptitude that cost us the points.

To put it simply, if we put in a similar performance today I think we'll win.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul; Simpson, S Taylor, Campbell, Enrique; Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ameobi, Carroll.

Subs: Harper, Guthrie, Routledge, Lovenkrands, Perch, Smith, Ranger

Barton and Nolan return for Newcastle, massive boost for the toon

LIVERPOOL Reina, Johnson, Kyrgiakos, Skrtel, Konchesky, Lucas, Meireles, Kuyt, Maxi, Ngog, Torres

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Aurelio, Poulsen, Cole, Jovanovic, Babel.

M5 wrote: »
    NEWCASTLE UNITED: Krul; Simpson, S Taylor, Campbell, Enrique; Barton, Nolan, Tiote, Gutierrez; Ameobi, Carroll.

Barton and Nolan return for Newcastle, massive boost for the toon

Confirmed team?

That is probably what I would of went with and is the strongest team we could of put out, let's hope we can get a result!

• Advertisement

That Liverpool team just confirmed, whoops a bit late.

Anyway just about ideal, WAIT wheres Pacheco? :mad:

Confirmed team?

That is probably what I would of went with and is the strongest team we could of put out, let's hope we can get a result!

Both linups confirmed

mike65 wrote: »
    That Liverpool team just confirmed, whoops a bit late.

Anyway just about ideal, WAIT wheres Pacheco? :mad:

Who would you have Pacheco ahead of?

One of Poulsen, Cole, Jovanovic

Sunderland drew so a win would bump LFC to 6th place *giddy*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Have to say I'm very pleased with the lineup, hopefully Ameobi can do a job cos he's the only one I'm not sure about. Would rather Williamson and Colo in defence but it could be worse. Thank god Perch isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

And for the record I wouldn't be surprised if the result was 1-1 or 2-1 to the toon.

First goal wins this game for me, cant call it, too many variables. If Hughton was still there i'd be confident of not loosing. The messing during the week wont help anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Pool need a good away performance like what they showed against spurs.
    1 nil Kuyt:)
    Any decent streams for espn games?
    atdhe.net or liveziz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hoping Carroll can grab a hat trick

Hoping Carroll can grab a hat trick

As does every Toon fan. :)

Need to get off to a positive start to get anything here today.

As does every Toon fan. :)

Need to get off to a positive start to get anything here today.
    fantasy football reasons :P

Roy happy about not being the centre of attention.

Supporters still fuming at the sportswear magnate's decision to sack manager Chris Hughton and replace him with Alan Pardew gathered outside the Milburn Reception at St James' Park to voice their anger.

Among repeated choruses of "There's only one Chris Hughton", they sang "We hate Ashley" and "Get out of our club" as well as "You're not fit to run our club" as they made their feelings clear.

The crowd grew as kick-off approached with police and stewards in close attendance, although the demonstrations were largely peaceful.

At one point, stewards moved in in an attempt to remove banners criticising the club hierarchy, but they were thwarted as protesters quickly moved them on.

as expected

Newcastle-v-Liverpool-fans-demonstrate-St-Jam_2539945.jpg

Mike Assley cough *chelsea st holder* cough

Mike Assley cough *chelsea st holder* cough

Isn't he a Spurs fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement