Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York or California...

Options
  • 11-12-2010 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Travelling over to the US this summer on the J1 :) Been asked to book my flights by monday,although i can change it later.
    Trying to decide where to spend the summer..planning to work all summer in one area and spend my last 2weeks on holiday in the other..

Can't decide between long beach in Cali or new York. Never been to either so have no idea on the vibe each place offers.
    Was wondering if anyone who has been to both or even one could give me some info which might help me decide. Hoping to get an internship in PR which i heard NY is great for.
    Thanks.
    x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That actually sounds like a tough choice. As far as cities go, New York would probably be much unlike anything you've seen before. On the other hand, Long beach is - well, the beach. It's pretty damn awesome too. Completely different things though.

Given that you actually plan on getting work done in one and having funsies in the other though, I'd think you'd much rather get down to business in the city and then spend all your free time in Long Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

New York and California are not only on the opposite sides of the country but also almost extremely opposite cities. New York is busy, fast paced, crowded exciting with so much to do and usually constant movement. California is a lot more relaxed and slow paced, the people are generally much different too and have a laid back attitude about almost everything. The cities are not as packed as the likes of NYC and there's different activities available every day.

It really depends on what you want from this J1. If its an exciting busy summer then New York is your answer, if its a relaxed holidaying summer then California is your answer. However, jobs can be difficult to come by for J1s so that should really get priority over anything.

Where ever you choose to go, you can't go wrong. You'll experience the US lifestyle in both states and are sure to have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 user18

If you're in Long Beach, it will be pretty relaxing if it is just a vacation. But if you want to go anywhere in California, you need a car. And if you plan on going anywhere outside of Long Beach, it is crowded. VERY crowded. We're talking 5 of the top 10 most crowded freeways in a 20 mile radius... the 10, 110, 101, 405, and 5 are all horrible to travel on at any time of day. I've never been to New York, so no comment there.

If you're looking for business, you're probably better off working in NY and vacationing in Long Beach. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Definitely New York. End of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Definitely New York. End of.....

I second that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

xlou89x wrote: »
    Travelling over to the US this summer on the J1 :) Been asked to book my flights by monday,although i can change it later.
    Trying to decide where to spend the summer..planning to work all summer in one area and spend my last 2weeks on holiday in the other..

Can't decide between long beach in Cali or new York. Never been to either so have no idea on the vibe each place offers.
    Was wondering if anyone who has been to both or even one could give me some info which might help me decide. Hoping to get an internship in PR which i heard NY is great for.
    Thanks.
    x

Had the same choice when I got my papers in 1995!
    If you like Hot, humid and sticky weather go for NY.
    If dry heat is more of your thing go to Cali*

*California is vast in size!!! Most Irish I knew went to SF.
    Summer temps more like home I guess :D

Advertisement