Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Australia in January/February

Options
  • 11-12-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

So i'm consider getting out of here for a year(at the least) and Australia seems to be were I'll most likely end up.

I have a few simply and quite honestly kinda silly questions

1 Will my current laptop work over there? Mainly in terms of the powering the laptop will i need an adapter etc?

2 Also will my phone work over there, my phone is unlocked and can work in England with an English sim as well as work here in Ireland?

That's it for now if i think of any other stupid questions i'll post them ha ha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

elspecia wrote: »
    So i'm consider getting out of here for a year(at the least) and Australia seems to be were I'll most likely end up.

I have a few simply and quite honestly kinda silly questions

1 Will my current laptop work over there? Mainly in terms of the powering the laptop will i need an adapter etc?

2 Also will my phone work over there, my phone is unlocked and can work in England with an English sim as well as work here in Ireland?

That's it for now if i think of any other stupid questions i'll post them ha ha

Your laptop will work, though you will have to buy a plug/pin convertor for $4 to charge it.

Your phone will also work as the sim cards are exactly the same here as in Ireland/England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

Feelgood wrote: »
    Your laptop will work, though you will have to buy a plug/pin convertor for $4 to charge it.

Your phone will also work as the sim cards are exactly the same here as in Ireland/England.

Sweet, cheers mate, but with my phone unlocked it still won't work in the States because of the networks I just thought the same might happen over in Oz.

Also witch regards to Laptop, they aren't check on entry to the country are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sweet, cheers mate, but with my phone unlocked it still won't work in the States because of the networks I just thought the same might happen over in Oz.

Your phone will work here if it works in Ireland
    . The states works of a different GSM signal to the rest of the GSM world.
    Also witch regards to Laptop, they aren't check on entry to the country are they?

Yes if they think you look like a drug smuggler...

Just watch for drop bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

ahah what? Why on earth would you think that, and what do you have on there that you're so worried about? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Feelgood wrote: »

Try more like $10, you can buy them in the supermarket (Coles).

Most laptop chargers are designed to use at 110-240v, the output of them into your laptop is always the same DC voltage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Only problem with bring laptop from my exprince is having the worry of keeping an eye on it .

Just being in hostels you would really have to being the laptop with you everywhere to have peice of mind .

If your renting a unit it's grand but most people will take a few months to be in that situation .

hey all i just have another few questions

1 - Can anyone of ye suggest a site where I could get a look at houses and apartments available for rent in the Perth area? Also what kind of rent are ye paying(if you don't mind answering of course:D)

2 - Also do i need to get any injections before going to Oz? I've been told that i do, but one of my mates moved over there 8 months ago and he didn't get any injections(vaccinations), but i've also read that you should and also read that there was no need for any vaccinations, so I'm fair confused now:confused:

Cheers again ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

When I was looking into applying for a student visa, it stated that you must have a receipt for your laptop. Not sure why. You might wanna check that out before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

1 - Can anyone of ye suggest a site where I could get a look at houses and apartments available for rent in the Perth area? Also what kind of rent are ye paying(if you don't mind answering of course:D)

Cheers again ha ha

Mate gumtree.com.au is pretty good for renting anywhere in australia, or domain.com.au if you're looking for a nicer site... Rent in Australia's pretty high everywhere, I haven't been to perth, but for Melbourne/Sydney you're looking at at least 150+ (which is actually pretty cheap here) for most share houses/apartments based on my experience

And about the shots, don't think you need any unless you're doing some of asia on the way here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Trí wrote: »
    When I was looking into applying for a student visa, it stated that you must have a receipt for your laptop. Not sure why. You might wanna check that out before you go.

If its less than a year old you may have to pay some sort of duty.

Not sure but from memory its something like that.

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    If its less than a year old you may have to pay some sort of duty.

Not sure but from memory its something like that.

Well i am going on a one year working visa, not a student visa

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

I had my laptop checked at 2 different airports over there. They check for explosive residue. It's grand unless you like blowing **** up near your laptop at home.

Gaudizeit wrote: »
    I had my laptop checked at 2 different airports over there. They check for explosive residue. It's grand unless you like blowing **** up near your laptop at home.

So i should be ok then ha ha

Hey just another quick question, when does your visa start, for example if i get a 1 year working holiday visa and it is approved on say the 3 of January. Does that mean the visa expires on the 3 January in one years time? Or does the visa only come into affect when you get to Australia?

I always thought the first instant, but i have a mate who is in Oz telling me its the second??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ya have 1 Yr from its granted to activate it (ie. landing in Australia) and the visa lasts for 1 Yr from that date.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    ya have 1 Yr from its granted to activate it (ie. landing in Australia) and the visa lasts for 1 Yr from that date.

So if I were to get my visa tomorrow, and travel to oz until say march 2011, I'd have till march 2012 on my visa.

Sorry now to be over clarifing things but one of the lads i'm going with is a little OCD about these things and i just need it to be clear for him otherwise I'll be getting 101 questions off him ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

So if I were to get my visa tomorrow, and travel to oz until say march 2011, I'd have till march 2012 on my visa.

Sorry now to be over clarifing things but one of the lads i'm going with is a little OCD about these things and i just need it to be clear for him otherwise I'll be getting 101 questions off him ha ha
    correct. Visa starts upon entry to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

2 - Also do i need to get any injections before going to Oz? I've been told that i do, but one of my mates moved over there 8 months ago and he didn't get any injections(vaccinations), but i've also read that you should and also read that there was no need for any vaccinations, so I'm fair confused now:confused:

Cheers again ha ha

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-wa/list-1

try perth.gumtree.com.au also

We're paying 500 a month for a two bed appartment in the city, pool, gym the lot..
    Youll prob get summit cheaper as you move out to the suburbs, but a car may be essential if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-wa/list-1

try perth.gumtree.com.au also

We're paying 500 a month for a two bed appartment in the city, pool, gym the lot..
    Youll prob get summit cheaper as you move out to the suburbs, but a car may be essential if you do.

Surely thats 500 a week!?

Down in south perth here, paying 220 a week for a room in a 4 bedroom house with a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

sorry my bad its 500 a week

Hey now it looks like i could be going to Sydney,

So is there anyone from Sydney that could recommend where are nice places to stay (like what districts/suburbs)?????

Cheers:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hey now it looks like i could be going to Sydney,

So is there anyone from Sydney that could recommend where are nice places to stay (like what districts/suburbs)?????

Cheers:D

Its a hard one to advise as you will get 20 different answers from armchair experts who will give good pro & cons for certain areas.

But bear in mind this

Eastern Suburbs/beach=High Rent, poor public transport & often substandard living
    City=High rent but is handy for most things
    Inner west=Medium rent and better housing, good transport to city & not that handy for the beach.

Advertisement