Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD install gone funny. Need help.

Options
  • 11-12-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Bought a 1TB WD Caviar Green from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. I installed it just now and its neither recognised in the Bios or in My computer.

My Mobo is an Asus P5Q Pro turbo. Funny thing is, when i use the Asus Raid software (Drive Xpert) it recognises the WD HDD perfectly as well as my 500gb Seagate HDD.

All i want to use the 1tb drive for is seperate storage but seeing as i cant access it from My Computer how can i get access to it so i can drop files into it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

did you check if its in the bios ok if it is then its just a setting in the bios that needs to be turned on i,d say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

massy086 wrote: »
    did you check if its in the bios ok if it is then its just a setting in the bios that needs to be turned on i,d say

Sorry forgot to say its not recognised in the Bios. Its defo not a dud drive because i can feel it/hear it spinning and the Asus software recognises it perfectly.
    My mobo manual doesnt give ANY info on it. Its useless.

go to page111 in the manual it talks about raid set-up here it is online http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10485247/ASUS-P5Q-PRO-TURBO---User-Guide-Manual

go to page111 in the manual it talks about raid set-up here it is online http://www.docstoc.com/docs/10485247/ASUS-P5Q-PRO-TURBO---User-Guide-Manual

Do i have to have a raid set up even if i just want to use one internal HDD for seperate storage. I though raid was just for backup?

im not sure if you have to set up raid but sure try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It could be faulty electronics. I had a HDD a while ago that died suddenly. Could hear it spinning but nothing could pick it up.

Does it show up when you right-click on my computer -> Manage -> Disk Management?

Also WD has software for tying to pick up drives.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows - you can find it under support on their website.

im not sure if you have to set up raid but sure try it

Didnt work. I chnged it to Raid in the Bios and when i try to launch Windows it crashes at the loading screen and the computer restarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is there something under sata operation that says legacy mode or similar?

Skerries wrote: »
    is there something under sata operation that says legacy mode or similar?

No...Not in the Bios anyway.

This is driving me nuts. Should i RMA it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you tried changing the boot order and restarting to see if it picks it up?
    or just have that drive attached to see if it picks it up and reattaching the other if it does

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    have you tried changing the boot order and restarting to see if it picks it up?
    or just have that drive attached to see if it picks it up and reattaching the other if it does

I installed the WD drive on its own and it was picked up ok. So i installed windows 7 on it and all works perfectly. Went back then and put the old Seagate drive in as the main drive and now the Seagate and the WD drives are working perfectly. WD is working as my storage drive now. Seems strange that i had to format it myself before it was recognised.

Advertisement