Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Chicken and Veg Broth

Options
  • 11-12-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd write this up having made it yesterday. Nothing clever it just does what it says on the tin. Filling and warm :)

Makes enough for about 6 generous bowls.

Ingredients:
    Olive oil
    3 chicken thighs (obviously you could use any cheap cuts)
    4 chicken stock cubes in about 1 litre of boiling water
    Carrott sliced and diced
    Leek sliced and diced
    Half an onion sliced and diced
    Two celery sticks sliced and diced
    Tomato sliced and diced
    Potato chopped up
    Add Black pepper (and salt if you insist!)

De-skin the chicken and remove any bone and excess fat.

Throw olive oil into the pot, add onions and heat through adding the rest of the veg a bit at a time mixing as your go, once all in pour in the chicken stock (remember to give the stock a thorough stir so the cubes are completely "melted" into the liquid) and add the chicken and potato bring to a 'gentle' boil and then turn down to simmer for the next hour.

When cooked pluck out the chicken and break up the meat (check for any remaining bone) and return to the broth. Add favourings, though apart from black pepper I'd not bother (say no to salt!)

I call it a broth cos its definitely not a thick liquid though with some dry soup mix/lentils you could could certainly beef it up. I rather like thin broth though.

When it comes to storage I've stored the pot in the pit of the fridge and cook as much as is needed per sitting so the chicken only gets reheated once.

WinterChickenandVegBroth.jpg

Advertisement