Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is a Sega Gamegear like ?

• 11-12-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

So guys I was looking to pick up a gamegear for x-mas for my self are they any good need to know soon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Oh its got all the saga mastersystem sonics on it! They're on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Sonic games for the gamegear are gamegear exclusives.

They're great but they have cap issues now. If you get one it's more than likely going to have no sound and you'll barely be able to see the screen :(

You'll need to have all the capacitors replaced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everything that o1s1n said, but they are a nice little machine.
    Plenty of games out there and, again, the Sonics are well worth having, you'll have played them already in the myriad of Sonic/Sega compilations that have been published over the last 10 years on every format.
    The screen really isn't that hot though.
    I would suggest that if portable gaming was your bag and it had to be Sega, go for a Nomad and get the screen mod done, it'll cost you more but the benefits are manifold, awesome visuals, great sound and an absolutely stellar game range to play (aside for SoR and GA of course ;) )
    The battery mod can be saved for another day, but there is plenty of coverage here.

For pricing on this, a Nomad and the screen replacement, there are better peeps than I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The GameGear is a good little machine, but it's heavily let down by the screen technology. It's very early lcd tech, & suffers from terrible ghosting & bad contrast. Unfortunately there's no screen mod like the Nomad one, certainly nothing straight forward anyway.

I'll second the Nomad also, combined with the screen mod it's a formidable handheld console. Plus I guess there's nothing stopping you using the GameGear cart adapter on it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I used to have one back in the day. It's basically a portable Master system, in terms of technology. It takes six AA batteries and guzzles them fast. It's graphics were advanced for a hand held at that time, but most of the time I remember playing it with the AC adapter, which kind of defeats the whole point of having a hand held. I remember they released a TV tuner for it too. My "black and white" Game boy got far, far more use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement