Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

didnt get to prune my roses in time, What should I do?

Options
  • 11-12-2010 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Due to patch of poor health I didnt complete my pruning and have a dozen roses looking a bit sad. We're on the Cork/Kerry border so its been bad but no way near what's afflicted the rest of the country. Today the worst has defrosted.

What would happen if I pruned now or should I wait?

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You could do a light prune now but I'd do hard pruning between end Jan - end Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Due to patch of poor health I didnt complete my pruning and have a dozen roses looking a bit sad. We're on the Cork/Kerry border so its been bad but no way near what's afflicted the rest of the country. Today the worst has defrosted.

What would happen if I pruned now or should I wait?

thanks for any advice

I'd only ever prune before x-mas when I have large size roses that are at risk of rocking in bad weather (if they rock they tend to rot at the roots..) As the previous Poster mentioned end Jan - end Feb I'd go no further than Paddy's Day (Depending on where you are) Trick is to Prune early enough to encourage old dormant growth buds to come to life, But not too early where this New Growth could be killed/Burnt by Frost's

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

I would wait till february as previous poster said befor st paddys day. depending on type of roses? bush /hybrid tea or climbing?
    With bush roses or floribundas i presume you have, try to keep 3 or 4 strong strems (to open plant out to let airflow through,helps prevent diseas)count up 4 buds from bottom facing outwards for good structure and open plat up as above and make your cut here about 1cm from bud sloping away from bud to let water flow away.
    cut out weaker + dead shoots to encourage new growth from base. Mulch around the base with farmyard manure which you can by in most stores woodies etc.

Advertisement