Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Russia

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Overheal wrote: »
    They let Egypt into the EU and Egypt is clearly part of Africa. At least Russia extends pretty far into Europe.

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Overheal wrote: »
    They let Egypt into the EU and Egypt is clearly part of Africa. At least Russia extends pretty far into Europe.

But reverse the smug: the question is would russia want to be a member of the EU? That would be akin to asking America to adopt the Euro, even if it wasn't called the Euro.

Egypt is in the EU? You sure you aren't thinking of the Eurovision song contest? I always confuse the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe i was thinking of Morroco, but they were rejected a very long time ago.

anywho:
    EU membership

Among the most vocal supporters of Russian membership of the EU has been Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. In an article published to Italian media on 26 May 2002, he said that the next step in Russia's growing integration with the West should be EU membership.[11] On 17 November 2005, he commented in regards to the prospect of such a membership that he is "convinced that even if it is a dream ... it is not too distant a dream and I think it will happen one day."[12] Berlusconi has made similar comments on other occasions as well.[13] More recently, in October 2008, he said "I consider Russia to be a Western country and my plan is for the Russian Federation to be able to become a member of the European Union in the coming years" and stated that he had this vision for years.[14]

Russian permanent representative to the EU Vladimir Chizhov commented on this by saying that Russia has no plans of joining the EU.[15] Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said that Russia joining the EU would not be in the interests of either Russia or the EU, although he advocated close integration in various dimensions including establishment of four common spaces between Russia and the EU, including united economic, educational and scientific spaces as it was declared in the agreement in 2003.[16][17][18][19]

At present, the prospect of Russia joining the EU any time in the near future is slim. Analysts have commented that Russia is "decades away" from qualifying for EU membership.[20] Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder has also said that though Russia must "find its place both in NATO, and, in the longer term, in the European Union, and if conditions are created for this to happen" that such a thing is not economically feasible in the near future.[21]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Absurdum wrote: »
    In Soviet Russia,

:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for this.It explains/shows how the Russians are insane:eek
    Lets keep them "OVER THERE" Enough headcases over here at present.
    As for op`s Question,I believe they are Asians in the most part ,Moscow westwards is Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would consider it to be european mainly because of the features of the people. However i agree its eurasia.

Would i allow it be part of europe......

I would ask the question, would it want to...

With its massive reserves of oil/gas/coal it will be the new arabian gulf region soon

So the question i think we will be asked so is....

Who can speak russian Komrade.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Do you consider Russia to be part of Europe or Asia?? and would you support Russia becoming part of the EU if they decided to make moves to join us.

Its in both.

And no to the second part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

In Soviet Russia, EU and Asia join you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I knew a russian girl who was from Nakhodka (extreme far-east, right next to North Korea). She used to go nuts when I referred to her as an Asian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I know a girl from Saratov(the place were their nuclear bombers fly from) and she always got offended when I called her European. She said Russians don't see themselves as European or Asian, there Russian!

That said I think the EU could benefit from Russia joining it and the Russians have always been paranoid about the chinese invading like they have done in the past thats why historically some of their best equipment military forces are stationed along the chinese border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Well they're in the Eurovision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

bleg wrote: »
    Well they're in the Eurovision.

and so is Israel:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No EU room left for ex-commies! Stay behind that Iron curtain. They wanted it and that's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

In Russia, map reads you!

Advertisement