Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2011...Orlando???

Options
  • 11-12-2010 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi me and a few lads are thinking of going Orlando this summer and are just wondering if anyones ever been on a J1 here.
    As far as i can see and read it would'nt be the most popular place to do a J1 i was just wondering why???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

In my opinion, unless you're going for the theme parks there's not a lot to do here, very family orientated, can't imagine it would be a good j1 spot to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

went to Orlando in 2008 on a J1 visa with 4 friends and have to say it was the best experience - orlando isnt a hot spot for j1ers but in saying that it is great - from all the theme parks, trips to beaches, road trips to miami etc..

we got work in a canival type place which had great money and really good people to work with.
    we did think of going to boston but why go somewhere that everyone else is going to ??

any questions about orlando for j1 just ask ...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 av8r10

I did my flight training there, your better off going to miami...orlando isnt great, and theres only 1 really good club downtown..also you'll need a car as the public transport is **** there and getting taxis is mad dear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Toby_King

Lilyrose and av8r10...yea wudnt mind some info; transport, jobs, places to go ETC. we have a house sorted a mile or so outside orlando city centre, none of us will be 21 at that stage and dont tink we'll have a car so just wondering what our experience will be like, i dont rely want to be stranded in orlando so any info on transport wud be much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭pauraic1990

Yes the transport is **** there. If you miss the bus, the next one can be the next half a hour so half a hour wait under the hot sun is not worth it. It take longer to your destination than driving a car, ie going from the International Drive to Disney Transportation Centre take you a hour by bus whereas by car it only take you 15min drive. $2 single fare and $4.50 for one day unlimited travel.

All the info on bus

www.golynx.com

Hope this help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 av8r10

Toby_King wrote: »
    Lilyrose and av8r10...yea wudnt mind some info; transport, jobs, places to go ETC. we have a house sorted a mile or so outside orlando city centre, none of us will be 21 at that stage and dont tink we'll have a car so just wondering what our experience will be like, i dont rely want to be stranded in orlando so any info on transport wud be much appreciated :D

The buses are ****, your most likely going to be situated on a highway, if your only a mile from downtown you should be cool for a taxi...best club DT is latitude, tabu is quite good aswell although its more of a black club but they do good deals...thurs is $12 in free drinks all night u21 $8 in...latitude is o21s..theres another club near lake buena vista called destiny again a good club if your u21 eric prydz made a surprised appearance there...my favourite club was house of blues in downtown disney, there are also good clubs in city walk universal studios...i think your better off getting a good id, if u pm me i can tell you wer 2 get a nice1 that i used over there...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

agree completly with the other guys the transport system is really bad - we spent a fortune on taxis for the first few weeks and ended up renting a car - if any of yous have a full licence it is something you should look into - generally if your under 25 there is an extra charge i think we paid 100 dollars each a week which was great as we did a lot of travelling around florida.

jobs wise we worked in a place called old town in kissimmee they actually offer accomadation for j1ers the pay was quite good we started at 8 dollars an hour and ended up at 14 dollars an hour - the place we worked in was great as it was like a wee village and has its own night club which was great as one of the girls with us was under 21 so the staff got to know us and never asked for id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 frances22

Hey me and two of my friends are headin to orlando on J1 this summer too!! Should be a mad summer. . we're flying ou the 1st of june. . have ye decided if yer gonna go??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Toby_King

Hi yea i tink we r goin orlando...id say we'll b flyin out round 20-25th may...where bouts u from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

orlando is a big sprawling mess of a place, there will be little or nothing in downtown work wise for J1s, the theme parks should have plenty of jobs available, however you are looking at great distances if ye don't have a car, its 10 miles from downtown orlando to universal, about 14miles from downtown to seaworld and about 25miles from downtown orlando to disneyworld

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 frances22

We're flying out on the 1st a june all booked now just to pay for it :/ Im from mayo and the other girl is from dublin we're in college in dublin where ye from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 J1summer!

Going on a J1 this summer to! Going orlando,,,just wondering if anybody knows where jobs can be found?? not much luck with the theme parks,,,two of us going form dublin any good accomdation spots??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Natalie20

Hey der Im from dublin too and goin to Orlando on the J1...What date are yas headn out at?

Its hard to get work before you go and in the theme parks especially because you need a social service number..which we dont get untill we arrive..but im sure der will be alot of jobs goin since its such a tourist destination x

Hey,,,where heading out end of june until early september! wat about you's? hows your accomadation looking price wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Natalie20

we are headn out the first of june and returning home the end of august..we're planning to book a hostel for a week when we arrive so we can look at accom first before we enter any contracts ..but we got told to look at college accomadation as it will be vacant during the summer months..what about you?

lilyrose wrote: »
    went to Orlando in 2008 on a J1 visa with 4 friends and have to say it was the best experience - orlando isnt a hot spot for j1ers but in saying that it is great - from all the theme parks, trips to beaches, road trips to miami etc..

we got work in a canival type place which had great money and really good people to work with.
    we did think of going to boston but why go somewhere that everyone else is going to ??

Hi Lily, I was wondering if you could help me with information on finding a job...like did u wait until u got there? or pre-arrange? Thanks!

Natalie20 wrote: »
    we are headn out the first of june and returning home the end of august..we're planning to book a hostel for a week when we arrive so we can look at accom first before we enter any contracts ..but we got told to look at college accomadation as it will be vacant during the summer months..what about you?

We are going end of june home early september...think we mite prearrange accomodation...no luck finding jobs though! Still should be good laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

If anyone is looking for jobs/acomm over there i would recommend getting in touch with all the irish pubs over there.Some of them will really take care of you and set you up with acomm and everything you need.If you are flying into orlando you might want to have a look at some of the cities on the beach.cape canaveral/cocoa beach are 40mins drive east of orlando and the weather is a lot nicer in the summer compared to Orlando. Hope you all enjoy your time there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 achick91

hey me and some of my friends are heading to Orlando on a j1 this summer...we wanted to go somewhere different not just Ocean city or san fran where most of dublin are going this summer. We are renting a place near international drive for $2400 a mnth..its a 3bed 2 bath so not bad for the central location!! Came to just under a grand in euros each which is cheap considerin thats accom for almost 3 months. It seems really hard to get a job there..coz all the online forms ask for social sec nos!! Ill be there from the end of may though so hopin ill find something as there are lots of places hiring in the area!! The transport is pretty crap in florida in general..but we are planning to take buses anyway..the i-trolley runs down international drive and then theres a few lynxs buses that connect to other areas. Does anyone know if u can ride the disney monorail if u get a job in or near disney?? And where are there Irish pubs?? Also if anyone else has any advice or will be in orlando on j1 this summer too let me know here..or private message me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tacofingers

heya.. me (catherine) and my friend ashling are here in Orlando on J1 .. how are ye gettin on? anyone get accommodation/jobs? anyone headin out citywalk saturday nyt? lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conei09

lilyrose wrote: »

Hi, myself and 3 friends are heading over to Orlando at the start of june for 3 months, would you be aboe to recomend accomadation for us ? We have jobs in Universal Studios sorted! So somwhere close to that would be good! But we dont mind buying bikes if we have to.
    Any replys would be much appriciated! Thanks Ciarán :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConanRTTG

Conei09 wrote: »
    Hi, myself and 3 friends are heading over to Orlando at the start of june for 3 months, would you be aboe to recomend accomadation for us ? We have jobs in Universal Studios sorted! So somwhere close to that would be good! But we dont mind buying bikes if we have to.

Hey Ciarán, just wondering how you got sorted with the jobs? I've been trying but no luck so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Conei09

ConanRTTG wrote: »
    Conei09 wrote: »

Hey Ciarán, just wondering how you got sorted with the jobs? I've been trying but no luck so far!
    Through usit man, they were dead on got d jobs through them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConanRTTG

Any luck with accommodation out here?

Advertisement