Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in the smaller towns

Options
  • 11-12-2010 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey Everyone,
    I’m thinking of heading over to Aus in Feb on a WHV, I’ll be on a bit of a budget (bout €3000-€4000) but I’ll have somewhere to stay for as long as I need, I’ll be in Melbourne for the start but I’d like to get off the beaten track a little so ideally I’d like to move to a smaller town, thinking of somewhere like Torquay or Lorne or anywhere else along the coast around Melbourne. Does anyone know what getting work is like in the smaller towns and the variance in cost of living between the cities? I’ve good experience as a barman, labourer, and I’m a qualified civil engineer (but no experience), I’d also take any sort of seasonal work if its available in that area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

You could head up to sheparton about an hour and a half north of Melburne.
    Pear picking starts mid Jan and continues until end of March depending on the season.
    Great way to save cash but you will work ver v hard for it,accomodation usually throw in and hard to spend the money as nothing to do really after a long day.
    Lorne or Torquay does not have a lot of work going around that time,summer kicks off Mid Dec for them and prices on rent can be high round this time.
    Check into a back packers in Melbourne and ask around,you can usually get an understanding of the work situation from other travelers tales.
    Best of luck,class city Melbourne spent 4 yrs down there
    Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 steviesorous

Cool, will definitely look into heading to Shepparton when I get over, could do with all the money I can get, and it would be nice to have the option of staying for a second year.
    Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I’d also take any sort of seasonal work if its available in that area.
    it would be nice to have the option of staying for a second year.
    if you're thinking about specified work to qualify for the 2nd WHV, be mindful that only certain post codes of most states qualify as regional areas for this. The exceptions are Tasmania, South Australia, and the Northern Territory, where those entire states, including major cities, are classified as regional areas. Seasonal work qualifies as specified work. Many of the towns along the great ocean road are quite touristy, but you'll be hitting the end of the summer season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Australia is Huge, There are many Exciting places further than an hour from Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 steviesorous

Australia is Huge, There are many Exciting places further than an hour from Melbourne.

oh I know, the gf is in Melbourne and am heading over to her at the start ;), I love to surf too which is why i'm not too keen on living in the the city if I can get a job along the coast somewhere. I plan on travelling all over oz but it'll be Melbourne or surrounds for the start anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ondadole

go to berri

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Shepparton. Hmmm.

I work out there one to two days a week. No idea what its nightlife would be like. The place strikes me as Wagga Lite tbh.

Advertisement