Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Christmas Market v Cruelty Fest!

• 11-12-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Let me start off by stating that im not a Vegetarian nor a bleeding heart liberal but it begs beyond belief where we are at, in this day and age.

The Galway christmas market is now serving the following:
    • Kangaroo
    • Crocadile
    • Horse
    • Hog
    ...and i cant even think of the other stuff theyre cooking.

We as species have to eat, and eat out of survival and not pleasure. But we have now developed a TASTE for killing out of fun and pleasure with no justifiable reason at all and killing animals who are just trying to survive.

Im actually shocked that i didnt come across a a menu with "Sweet and sour greyhound".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Guys,

Let me start off by stating that im not a Vegetarian nor a bleeding heart liberal but it begs beyond belief where we are at, in this day and age.

• Kangaroo
    • Crocadile
    • Horse
    • Hog

We as species have to eat, and eat out of survival and not pleasure. But we have now developed a TASTE for killing out of fun and pleasure with no justifiable reason at all and killing animals who are just trying to survive.

Im actually shocked that i didnt come across a a menu with "Sweet and sour greyhound".

Hypocrisy tbh. It doesn't matter what animal is being eaten. Those meats are all commonly eaten in other countries, it's just because you're not used to it. It doesn't mean cruelty any more than the chicken/beef/ham you're going to have for your dinner this evening.

Also because you eat a meat doesn't mean you have a "taste for killing" it. You're simply buying a product, the same as you do when you buy packaged meat in the supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

You actually think these are some kind of endangered species that are just plucked from the wild for our pleasure. These animals are either farmed or else culled in the wild to prevent their population getting too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

How on earth is eating pork, beef or chicken ANY different to eating horse, ostrich, whatever..??
    Meat is meat.
    If you lived in France you would see rabbits hung up in every supermarket and horse steak down every aisle, not to mention boar etc.
    I think we as a nation need to widen out a little in our tastes..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I am happy to report they are all delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

This was the attitude i had last week but now starting to change thinking. I agree with the above statements completely tho.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Well the main difference for me with regards a dog and steak is that i have bonded with my fella and so many dogs...

I had a friend over the other day, she brought along an aquantance of hers, who was horrified to hear that we planned to slaughter one of our unwanted cockerels and eat it.
    Im like, oh, sorry, i didnt realise you were vegetarian..
    She then said she wasnt, but in her words, how could we kill a pet and eat it..
    I just cant get over this mentality.
    I would far rather eat a chook who had had a happy life than one who had never seen daylight..
    What gets me is the people who think other people are awful for doing this, but eat meat themselves...:(:(

My point is where do we draw the line as when is enough ...enough. Like im thinking of going on fish only diet simply on the basis, which animal could i kill and not feel guilty about.

Fish have to be killed too though...
    I guess if you dwelt on it long enough eating animals would become pretty distasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    They certainly are. Shame this is in Galway; I'd like a bit of horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sue_

I had a 27 year old educated (secondary school teacher) woman say to me last year that it was terrible to take the calves away from cows after calving, until I pointed out where exactly did she think milk came from. Its just people don't think about eating beef, pork or lamb in this country cos we're used to it.

Do you eat chicken?

Free range or intensively farmed? or do you even Know?

Eating an intensively farmed chicken is way worse than horse, kangaroo or crocodile. And is hog not a pig, surely we eat that in this country already?

And before I get a heap of intensively reared chicken farmers complaining, I realise that it is the consumers who are driving this industry, not the farmers. If we all bought free range, they'd produce free range, its just not possible to produce free range at the price the supermarkets pay.

So think about that the next time you go to buy meat

or millk...

BengaLover wrote: »
    I guess if you dwelt on it long enough eating animals would become pretty distasteful.

Thats the problem with thinking too much :D

I would far rather eat a chook who had had a happy life than one who had never seen daylight..
    I think this is commendable. If more people did this it would be great. I do see the girls point, I would find it rather difficult to sit at a table with a recently killed "pet", but I do admire people who can do this.
    Well the main difference for me with regards a dog and steak is that i have bonded with my fella and so many dogs...
    I know many people who have pet sheep/cows/pigs, usually rescues who make a little space for themselves in the life of their rescuer and are never let go. They do have personalities, just like dogs and cats do.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

if anything, the animals you listed would be preferable to eat over cows, chicken, lamb etc..

kangeroos are culled in the outback so are never farmed, boar and horse are not commercially farmed and i would imagine crocodile meat isn't farmed but i cant be sure .

my point is, we all know the horrific conditions most chickens and pigs are farmed, unnaturally kept in indoor cramped conditions and mass produced for commercial gain. at least the animals you named have had a more natural free life. i would have no problem tasting any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i see nothing wrong with it, i have been killing broilers at home for ages, i am also killing turkeys, i would love to see more meat like that become available

reminds me a bit of this ad that was in a paper

1rc1l0.jpg

kylith wrote: »
    They certainly are. Shame this is in Galway; I'd like a bit of horse.
    My husband said its like the biggest most succulent steak ever.. I didnt try it, im not a meat lover particularly, can take it or leave it.

I had a friend over the other day, she brought along an aquantance of hers, who was horrified to hear that we planned to slaughter one of our unwanted cockerels and eat it.
    Im like, oh, sorry, i didnt realise you were vegetarian..
    She then said she wasnt, but in her words, how could we kill a pet and eat it..
    I just cant get over this mentality.
    What gets me is the people who think other people are awful for doing this, but eat meat themselves...:(:(

My guess is the word 'pet' is the important thing - would I eat an animal that I considered a pet? No. But I wouldn't have any problem rearing chickens or other animals to be eaten.

It's not as if you decided one day you were hungry and instead of going to the local shop you said "I'd love a bit of dog right now".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I wouldn't touch horse if you paid me, horses are given various medications over their working lives that could easily make them unfit for human consumption. On top of that, a lot of the animals in the auction houses ( kill pens in the states) are just unwanted stock animals, used to being handled by humans from birth, trusting, pets in some cases. It seems a particularly hard way for an animal to go to slaugher and there has been a lot of reports of horses suffering terribly in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm veggie, and intensive farming, long range transport before conveyer belt killing is my reason. People raising and killing their own animals on site is infinitely preferable, and I'd do it myself if I had any need for meat.
    If you want to avoid the cruellest meat, avoid intensively farmed pork, neatly packaged to look like it never lived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I wouldn't touch horse if you paid me, horses are given various medications over their working lives that could easily make them unfit for human consumption. On top of that, a lot of the animals in the auction houses ( kill pens in the states) are just unwanted stock animals, used to being handled by humans from birth, trusting, pets in some cases. It seems a particularly hard way for an animal to go to slaugher and there has been a lot of reports of horses suffering terribly in the process.

Do you have any idea how many meds the average cow/bull etc gets during their lifetime?

Pigs for example are alot smarter than all the other domestic animals, they can solve problems, become extremely tame etc - yet they are slaughtered and eaten.

ALL animals going to conventional slaughterhouses suffer, not just horses.

I think if we were all to kill our own food then there would be alot more vegetarians in the world. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No different from cattle! The same rules, time limits and rigmarole applys medicating to horses that applies to any other species of livestock. Don't get me wrong I have never or would never eat horse meat or anything else vaguely gamey but that's just my personal choice. I think we'd have have a lot less equine welfare issues if production of horsemeat for the food chain was more popular in this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I wouldn't touch horse if you paid me, horses are given various medications over their working lives that could easily make them unfit for human consumption.

I agree with you in that I wouldn't choose to eat horse meat myself. But that is just out of sentimentality really :o

Just so you know though, all animals that go for human consumption HAVE to be safe and free of all antibiotic residues/other medicines. There are really strict laws about this: for instance, horses that have been given bute IV automatically get it recorded on their passports and may never go for human consumption. Some other types of medicine (e.g. penicillin) can be given to these horses but a certain time period must have passed before they are slaughtered. Samples are then taken from the carcase to ensure the meat is safe. And horses with unknown histories/no passport can't ever be slaughtered, because their medication history isn't known. So there's no worries on that side of things :)

And it's not just horses - there are strict laws like this for all animals that go for human consumption, cattle/pigs/chickens etc. (the boring facts I know eh!) :rolleyes:

Edit: just saw AJ's post now, saying pretty much the same thing! I am such a slow typer, hehe!

Having said all that, im not much of a meat eater not because of any scruples, just not that keen, and i dont really believe we need meat in our diet.
    Like i dont think milk is for us either, its for baby cows, but i buy and use it like everyone else.
    There are many alternatives, we are just so programmed to think this stuff is beneficial to our health, its not really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Having said all that, im not much of a meat eater not because of any scruples, just not that keen, and i dont really believe we need meat in our diet.
    Like i dont think milk is for us either, its for baby cows, but i buy and use it like everyone else.
    There are many alternatives, we are just so programmed to think this stuff is beneficial to our health, its not really!

Try telling that to my leg muscles when they are screaming for more protein after a schooling session with a difficult horse or my biceps after a first time lunger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

farm folk will always know where their milk and meat come from, city folk think it comes from the super market.

What about non city folk who don't live on a farm, what do they think. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Guys,

• Kangaroo
    • Crocadile
    • Horse
    • Hog

Before i say anything else, i am a meat eater and will continue to be.

So its ok to eat, chicken, cow, pork etc, but when it comes to Kangaroo, Crocadile, Horse etc we are some sort of animal????

Why is it ok to eat say chicken but it is cruel to ear Kangaroo???

Sorry OP, don't get your post

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

jap gt wrote: »
    i see nothing wrong with it, i have been killing broilers at home for ages, i am also killing turkeys, i would love to see more meat like that become available

reminds me a bit of this ad that was in a paper

1rc1l0.jpg

LOL, thank you for the laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

OP I think you have bitten off more than you can chew!! :D

Advertisement