Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Christmas Market v Cruelty Fest!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

No different from cattle! The same rules, time limits and rigmarole applys medicating to horses that applies to any other species of livestock. Don't get me wrong I have never or would never eat horse meat or anything else vaguely gamey but that's just my personal choice. I think we'd have have a lot less equine welfare issues if production of horsemeat for the food chain was more popular in this country!

I base this in read reports. eg- http://www.examiner.com/pet-rescue-in-national/canada-bill-to-prohibit-horse-slaughter-for-human-consumption-proposed
    Cattle are always considered livestock from birth and thus part of the food chain. Horses are not considered edible food until they have little or no value to an owner -then they become eligible for slaughter. Before that they could and often do undergo many medical treatments that say bullocks would never be subjected to.
    To your last point, i think we would have a lot less equine welfare if horse breeding was properly regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I base this in read reports. eg- http://www.examiner.com/pet-rescue-in-national/canada-bill-to-prohibit-horse-slaughter-for-human-consumption-proposed
    Cattle are always considered livestock from birth and thus part of the food chain. Horses are not considered edible food until they have little or no value to an owner -then they become eligible for slaughter. Before that they could and often do undergo many medical treatments that say bullocks would never be subjected to.
    To your last point, i think we would have a lot less equine welfare if horse breeding was properly regulated.

That is here, but in many other countries other animals are seen as food stock and then exported here.

In any case, if it is cruel to one, then it is cruel to all. Or is the fact that a cow is born for beef less cruel.

We eat animals, that is what we do, i do not like to see animals suffer, i think they should be killed as quickly and as painless as possible, have the best possible life until they do have to be killed, but in the end we eat animals and depending where you from or where you have lived, we eat different animals.

Not so long ago, loads of irish people eat rabbit, now if you ask the maturity will say, oh no, not a bunny rabbit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No different from cattle! The same rules, time limits and rigmarole applys medicating to horses that applies to any other species of livestock. Don't get me wrong I have never or would never eat horse meat or anything else vaguely gamey but that's just my personal choice. I think we'd have have a lot less equine welfare issues if production of horsemeat for the food chain was more popular in this country!

Once again any horse in this country that does not have a passport and full medication history cannot go into the human food chain. If a vet gives a horse bute he has to record it. In Ireland the dept. of agriculture apply very tight rules to all meat for human consumption. Can you clarify what you mean by eligible for slaugher? Horses slaughtered in this country don't go for human consumption they make up the bulk of an ingredient labelled as animal derivitaves in dog food. It's not necessary for this meat to pass any DOA requirments which is why I don't feed crap to my dog. I have no knowledge of the vetrinary rules for meat for human consumption in the USA or Canada so I don't know what happens there. As for the EU the same rules apply to all livestock for human consumption. I'm pretty sure there must be a petting zoo somewhere that has also given bute to a cow, pig or goat. It doesn't matter if there are as they are marked unfit for human consumption. The only reason these meds can be given to the majority of equines is because the majority of equines don't get eaten by us.

I'm quite open to correction if I'm wrong though. As for the regulation of breeding horses, I completely agree with you, but both statements are true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Once again any horse in this country that does not have a passport and full medication history cannot go into the human food chain.

+1

And similar rules apply to all animals entering the food chain.

You wouldn't believe how strict EU laws are on all aspects of consumer safety...look up EU regulations on food safety if you ever want to reassure yourself/bore yourself to death, it is never ending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

tudlytops wrote: »
    Not so long ago, loads of irish people eat rabbit, now if you ask the maturity will say, oh no, not a bunny rabbit....

Yes years ago Rabbit was a very popular dish, but then in order to control their numbers Irish people used poisons and a toxic medication that deformed the rabbits, health warnings went out saying it is not safe to eat and after this eating rabbit fell out of favor with the Irish public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

BengaLover wrote: »
    My husband said its like the biggest most succulent steak ever.. I didnt try it, im not a meat lover particularly, can take it or leave it.
    I've only had it as sashimi (i.e. raw), but the flavour is so delicate and the meat so tender. Before I'd have had a little qualm about eating horse, but now I know it's just meat, and is good meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

We eat we eat but what i cant Stand is we kill just for Fur !!
    Chinchilla

are lovely animals but does make me sick to see that it takes 150 of the animals just to make one jacket!! this is madness!! why on earth could people buy fur coats ? Right we kill to eat. in alot of Religions it is ok to kill animals for food but it is not ok to kill for pleasure of one. We have more and more cows being farmed just for people to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Galway K9 wrote: »
    My point is where do we draw the line as when is enough ...enough. Like im thinking of going on fish only diet simply on the basis, which animal could i kill and not feel guilty about.
    Well do that and don't be a hypocrite! Eating cows would shock hindus far more than eating dogs would shock you :)

Don't complain about others eating things that you are not happy about, if you eat things where they feel the same! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I grew up on a farm and we always kept turkeys and chickens so I would of helped kill, pluck etc from a young age, we also would of singled out a calf every year for the freezer so Im not sentimental about food, but what gets me is the people who would think it wrong to kill a chicken etc but then go buy battery chickens, eggs and if you said it to them would say 'oh but its cheaper' such a lame excuse think about the quality of life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well do that and don't be a hypocrite!
    Wouldn't a "fish only" diet for the purpose of not wanting to kill animals for food be just as hyprocritical? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

We are all on the Food Chain. We Kill Animals. Animals Kill us once in a while..

What makes us the top of the Food Chain ? We kill in Mass production we kill more then what we can eat, I work in a Retail Store and the Amount of Meat that goes into the Bins is a Shame and a Joke

We are killing our food chain. we need to Cap our Fish Targets. at the way we are going we will have no Tuna in the next 4 years and No more Wild Salmon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

true that it sounds wrong or disgusting to people just because it's not a typical dish here.

I've tried the ostrich at the market and I enjoyed it.
    I've also eaten shark and cockroaches!
    I'm sure that's disgusting to some people but I'm not a vegetarian and unless I was, I have no argument for eating this animal but not that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

oh I'm going to sound hypocritical but was in korea a few years ago and they eat dog there which would be an exception for me on the grounds that dogs are domesticated animals (and my pets).
    they have little/no regulation on the sale of dogs for meat and it was pretty disgusting to see poor little dogs in boxes for sale on the streeteek.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

magentas wrote: »
    oh I'm going to sound hypocritical but was in korea a few years ago and they eat dog there which would be an exception for me on the grounds that dogs are domesticated animals (and my pets).
    they have little/no regulation on the sale of dogs for meat and it was pretty disgusting to see poor little dogs in boxes for sale on the streeteek.gif

christ!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah Koreans are known for this, If you want to eat dog(no I don't) in China you would have to find a Korean Restaurant. Its their culture, I have had lots of Koreans tell me dog is "delicious".:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

The koreans will be delicious too if the dogs had a chance! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

But again, it's all about what is "normal" in their culture. I know some muslim guys who think it DISGUSTING that we eat pig, one hindu (well christian with a hindu mother) who cannot understand how we could possibly eat cow and neither group can fathom how I can possibly allow a dog live in my house, never mind say "I love my dog".

We are used to what we grow up with and some of our habits are terrible to other cultures, while most people here would not even think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Yes years ago Rabbit was a very popular dish, but then in order to control their numbers Irish people used poisons and a toxic medication that deformed the rabbits, health warnings went out saying it is not safe to eat and after this eating rabbit fell out of favor with the Irish public.

Have about fifteen grazers I harvested myself in the freezer and they're absolutely fine. Trick is to shoot them right and at the right time of the year and you're left with some local free range meat that wasn't industrially farmed or transported twice around the globe before it ends up on a styrofoam tray in your local supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have to say I have massive respect for anyone who can humanely raise and kill an animal for meat themselves rather than buying off a supermarket shelf. And more people buying meat from small farmers who slaughter humanely themselves will make a difference to getting rid of the mass slaughter houses (hopefully!)

I think that as members at the top of the food chain we have an obligation to give any animal a decent life for as long as possible regardless of whether it's a pet or meat source, it should be well fed appropriate food, have space to wander, appropriate housing, and when the time comes it should be humanely killed with as little distress as possible.

Like others have said the species of animal meat is only strange based on our cultural teachings or habits. I have more of a problem with the way dogs are treated in China and Korea before they are slaughtered and the way they are killed than I do with the fact that they are dogs and therefore pets by western standards.

I couldn't hunt/fish/trap myself so I'm vegetarian :o

Advertisement