Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting a job to go back to College as Mature Student

Options
  • 11-12-2010 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

Strongly considering returning to college next year. I’ll be 29 and should qualify for a grant in my current circumstances, i.e. I’m unemployed although doing a WPP and on the lookout for work (have interview on Friday). What I’d like to find out is if I do get a job and still want to return to college, i.e. hand in my notice, would I still be entitled to a grant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

its hard to say for definite at the moment because grant rules change every year but I think the good news is probably yes because they base assessed income on the previous year ie for 2010 they assessed 2009

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Unusualtrend

Strongly considering returning to college next year. I’ll be 29 and should qualify for a grant in my current circumstances, i.e. I’m unemployed although doing a WPP and on the lookout for work (have interview on Friday). What I’d like to find out is if I do get a job and still want to return to college, i.e. hand in my notice, would I still be entitled to a grant?

Hey Im so glad to find this thread! Im 23 and have been in a permanent job for last 5 years. At this stage, as I am now eligible to aquire Mature Student status, I am considering leaving my job in 2010, although I know this sounds crazy in the current climate, I feel its a now or never scenario. I have intentions to return to UCD in Sept 2011 to begin a course of study in Mechanical Engineering. I have found UCD, to their credit, are massively helpful and supprotive of Mature Students but they lack information on financial support for individuals in our situation. So far I have only seen grants that are either assessed on reckonable income for the previous tax year, which means I will be entitled to nearly nothing apart from 50% free fees and no Student Services Charge or there are allowances paid that require a previous 12 month period of time in which the individual was in receipt of some sort of social welfare. As I was in full time employment, this option is not of benefit to me. The only options I can think of now are to deferr to 2012, leave my job next september and claim benefit until the following year or live like a pauper save every penny and leave my job in august this year, while financing my entire first year in college by myself. This is not a preferable option. The problem on sourcing information as a career leaver is because all the information is focused to people on long periods of unemployment or on some sort of disability, which of course is a positive thing. To finally get a definitive answer I intend to research all the avenues further and then visit my local Citizens Information Office. The CI offices, as far as i have been informed, are very knowledgable and helpful to anyone, once you make an appointment, so I think I will make one soon and pick their brains for information on the subject, I will keep you informed of the developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

As I was in full time employment, this option is not of benefit to me. The only options I can think of now are to deferr to 2012, leave my job next september and claim benefit until the following year or live like a pauper save every penny and leave my job in august this year, while financing my entire first year in college by myself. This is not a preferable option.

If you have no previous third level qualification you wont be hit with fees at present. The reference to fees being paid is aimed at those people who are ineligible for the free fees scheme. Usually these are people who hold previous qualifications at the same level as those they are currently wishing to pursue.

To avail of the BTEA allowance for education from DSP for a course of third level study you do need to be on a social welfare payment for a minimum of nine months prior to the start of the course. However periods of time spent on initiatives such as VTOS, full-time FAS or Failte Ireland training courses, FIT training, Community Employment Schemes, Back to Work Enterprise Allowance Scheme etc can count towards the 9 month waiting period.

The problem on sourcing information as a career leaver is because all the information is focused to people on long periods of unemployment or on some sort of disability, which of course is a positive thing. To finally get a definitive answer I intend to research all the avenues further and then visit my local Citizens Information Office. The CI offices, as far as i have been informed, are very knowledgable and helpful to anyone, once you make an appointment, so I think I will make one soon and pick their brains for information on the subject, I will keep you informed of the developments.

The AEGI services based in the VEC's employ information officers who can provide all information on returning to education as an adult including funding and grant information. They also have details of local funding schemes and non statutory funding avenues that CIC may not be aware of. You can contact them through the local VEC or via the website http://www.ncge.ie/documents/adult/AEGI_8pg_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭pprendeville

My education path is as follows: 2001-2003 I got a Level 6 FETAC cert. Then I transferred to a level 8 degree course which I didn’t complete. Did one year only so have nothing to show for it bar a letter of attendance. Then I went back and did a level 7 course in 2005/2006. I believe there is some 5 year rule in place that allows people who’ve been out of college for 5 years or more to qualify for a grant. Wouldn’t take my word on that though.

What does DSP stand for (Dept. Social Protection)? I guess I’m going to have to turn down any fulltime job offers so if that’s the case (in reference to second paragraph).

Thanks for link.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 postgradprimary

My position is I have been offered a full time job in an unrelated field that I want to study.

I already have an undergraduate degree and hope to persue PGCE Uk or post grad primary teaching in Ireland.

I have two confirmed interviews for post grads in first week in Jan.

I have to give the company that have offered a job a reply asap. I emailed today telling them that I am making my decision and will be back to them soon. Though I got an email back saying they are out of office until 30th Dec.

I am just wondering if I took the job would I be able to take career break/leave in Sept to do the course and then return?

• Advertisement

My position is I have been offered a full time job in an unrelated field that I want to study.

I already have an undergraduate degree and hope to persue PGCE Uk or post grad primary teaching in Ireland.

I have two confirmed interviews for post grads in first week in Jan.

I have to give the company that have offered a job a reply asap. I emailed today telling them that I am making my decision and will be back to them soon. Though I got an email back saying they are out of office until 30th Dec.

I am just wondering if I took the job would I be able to take career break/leave in Sept to do the course and then return?
    Your plan sounds good but there may be a couple of issues, mainly with the career break. In my current company it is policy that an employee cannot apply for a career break without a minimum employment period. In my case the minimum period is 9 years, but that is because I have undertaken previous education that was funded by my company. In general the period ranges from 3-5 years for new employees. I would question this before I would begin working with this new employer. If your post grad is beneficial to your job in a very relevant way though they may make a special dispensation in order to allow you to study, they may also fully or part fund your post grad, but in the current climate I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of any flexibility from your new prospective employer, but please keep me' informed of your progress and I give you my best wishes on your endeavour. Also remember, question everything before signing on the dotted line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I received a full grant having been in full time employment the previous tax year. I submitted a change of circumstances letter along with my grant application which stated I was no longer in employment. I had been made redundant but I dont believe that had anything to do with it. The only income they then took into consideration was the social welfare payment I was receiving.

Trish2007 wrote: »
    I received a full grant having been in full time employment the previous tax year. I submitted a change of circumstances letter along with my grant application which stated I was no longer in employment. I had been made redundant but I dont believe that had anything to do with it. The only income they then took into consideration was the social welfare payment I was receiving.

Trish your a lifesaver! If what you said is true, my whole plan is back on track! Yes I heard about the change in circumstances form, but was unsure whether that would be applicable to my situation, but as you say it should not really matter whether I was made redundant or left my job as both situations have the same outcome, your no longer employed. Hopefully that is the case, I think I will go to the citizens information office this week and get final confirmation before I dive in head first. Thank you very much for you help. I wish you all the best in your future studies.

On another note, has anyone looked into studying in the UK or N. Ireland? Does anyone have any information on the financial implications of studying abroad? I am considering the University of Edinburgh as another option. So far it seems that the grant application procedure is the same and the local VEC or Council Authority just forward the grant onto your chosen Uni. But ill look into it more.

Advertisement