Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big trouble with hornet

Options
  • 11-12-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

was out today setting the sights on my rifle and on my 20th shot in about 30 mins there was a big problem, when i went to eject the case all that came out was about 8mm of brass and the rest is stuck in the chamber
    anyone ever hear of this before, i tried ringing john greene and fergal white but no answer so they mustn't be working today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sounds like case-head separation to me. How long have you had the rifle? What ammo was it? It occurs sometimes when the chamber isn't properly cut. Typically when it's too large, the brass expands too much on firing, gets weak and wedges in the gun, the case head tearing off when you go to extract it. Was it difficult to get the gun open? I'd be bringing it straight to a gunsmith to get the chamber examined, after having a look around to see whether it's a problem with the ammunition. If it is, chances are issues with that batch will have shown up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Photo0072.jpg
    Photo0073.jpg

never had trouble with it before and i have it about 5 or 6 years now, its a weihrauch and i was using 45gr hp remington express which i usually use,
    now that you mention it it can be stiff to eject cases at times

remington did a recall lately but the serial on my box was supposedly ok

out of the 20 shots i fired 4 of them have marks on the cases in the same spot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd contact Remington and ask them to be aware that this batch is also giving problems.

i'm going to email weihrauch and remington and see what the say
    i rang fergal white and i'll drop the rifle up to him as soon as i can,
    he said he heard of it happening a few times before and when i asked him what rifle it happened with he said it was a krico which happens to be the exactsame as the weihrauch so i reckon the problem is the rifle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ormondprop wrote: »
    never had trouble with it before and i have it about 5 or 6 years now, its a weihrauch and i was using 45gr hp remington express which i usually use,
    now that you mention it it can be stiff to eject cases at times

remington did a recall lately but the serial on my box was supposedly ok

out of the 20 shots i fired 4 of them have marks on the cases in the same spot

Take it to a gunsmith, I have heard of it before.
    It's called a hard extraction, there is a tool that gun smiths use to remove the remainder of the brass. However one has to be very careful when doing it.

If I recall correctly there was someone on here with a similar problem before.

besides taking out the rest of the case what can be done to stop it from happening again, will the barrell be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

besides taking out the rest of the case what can be done to stop it from happening again, will the barrell be ok?

It was probably just a bad round.
    Do you have pictures of the rest of the fired brass? if theres no apprecibale swelling compared to an unfired round then the chambers OK.

when its a chamber/headspace issue, its the base that pulls off usually.
    I doubt you'd have it cleave so cleanly so far into the chamber.
    What you want is a broken shell extractor
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=650507

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu28_4.htm

Of course take your rifle and have the chamber and headspace inspected

i'm goin to have it checked out hopefully tomorrow by fergal white, and maybe get my barrel shortened and threaded while i'm at it if everything is ok with it

out of the 19 other empty cases 4 or 5 had marks in the same spot

brought it to fergal white today and he reckons its just a bad batch of ammo so anyone using remington hornet ammo check your used cases for marks or cracks, he said he'll give it a good look to make sure the chamber is ok, i left the rifle with him as he is going to cut the barrel back to about 20" and put a northstar on it for me

• Advertisement

brought it to fergal white today and he reckons its just a bad batch of ammo so anyone using remington hornet ammo check your used cases for marks or cracks, he said he'll give it a good look to make sure the chamber is ok, i left the rifle with him as he is going to cut the barrel back to about 20" and put a northstar on it for me

I'd say that was linked to the Remington Hornet ammo issue a few weeks back.

So you are going chopping your rifle!
    You do realize once you start, you will not be able to stop :D

i contacted remington so i'm interested in what they say when they get back to me,
    i say this will be the end of my spending on the rifle, in the last few weeks i've put a new scope on it and now this and i also bought a car lately so this is definately going to be it, all the rest of my money will be drank over the coming weeks:D
    well except for more ammo as i dont fancy using the rest of that box of remmy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I've had a Remington case ripping open as I loaded it into my Anschutz a couple of months ago. Since it was a straight feed from the magazine the case must have been extremely weak. Changed to Winchester and problem solved.

It's a bit unfortunate because the Remington ammo is a bit cheaper and the rifle was shooting pinpoint with it.

all i can get around here is remington and hornady and after this i cant see myself using remington again, hornady is probably a bit better but dealer near me is 28 euro for 25 hornady compared to 40 euro for 50 remington, where are you getting the winchester by the way, i've never used it as nobody near me stocks it but i hear its good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

ya i remembered that and looked it up but my serial number was differant, so there obviously having trouble with a few more batches
    thanks anyway

ya i remembered that and looked it up but my serial number was differant, so there obviously having trouble with a few more batches
    thanks anyway

You saw it first here :D

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056087892

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

all i can get around here is remington and hornady and after this i cant see myself using remington again, hornady is probably a bit better but dealer near me is 28 euro for 25 hornady compared to 40 euro for 50 remington, where are you getting the winchester by the way, i've never used it as nobody near me stocks it but i hear its good

Last box was in Omagh, got it in Navan and Drogheda as well. Not exactly your neck of the woods, sorry.

got a call this evening to say my rifleis sorted, chamber is perfect so had to have been bad brass, so good news, just waiting for the mod to come and then i can collect it, probably be the last time it uses remmy ammo though

got a call this evening to say my rifleis sorted, chamber is perfect so had to have been bad brass, so good news, just waiting for the mod to come and then i can collect it, probably be the last time it uses remmy ammo though

Hornady!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

j greene in kk i saw has sellier and bellot 17euro for 20 dont know if there any good though there great in my 243 anyway

i must look them up but would be a long drive for a box of ammo, i was doing a bit of googling and saw Remington Accutip with a 35 grain ballistic tip is meant to be great and Privi Partizan make 45 grain soft point but haven't heard of anyone using them

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

rugerman wrote: »
    j greene in kk i saw has sellier and bellot 17euro for 20 dont know if there any good though there great in my 243 anyway

Is that a box of 50?
    If so I imagine that its a fairly good price for Ireland, 50 rounds goes for $19 + tax here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

s&b ammo is hit and miss, found it great in my p226, not worth a [EMAIL="w@ank"]w@ank[/EMAIL] in .223!

finally got my rifle back tonight, due to the bad weather my mod was late coming in and when it eventually arrived today it had th wrong thread so being sick of waiting fergal rang around and managed to get a jet-z compact instead, was more expensive but they are meant to be one of the best you can get so just have to try it out now, lovely small mod compared to the rest

can't recommend fergal enough after it, sound man and got to see him in action while he recrowned and threaded my rifle, i learnt a lot off him from chatting to him aswell

Advertisement