Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do another undergraduate degree or a postgraduate?

Options
  • 11-12-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm in 3rd year of a 4 year course in trinity. The course im doing is arts and is not a degree that has many job opportunities. I'm thinking of doing a joints arts degree in english and business in maynooth, both of which i did well in in my leaving cert and have a passion for. I was wondering would it be beneficial to me in terms of getting a job and financially if I got a postgraduate degree in either business in english instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Rds1989 wrote: »
    I'm in 3rd year of a 4 year course in trinity. The course im doing is arts and is not a degree that has many job opportunities. I'm thinking of doing a joints arts degree in english and business in maynooth, both of which i did well in in my leaving cert and have a passion for. I was wondering would it be beneficial to me in terms of getting a job and financially if I got a postgraduate degree in either business in english instead.

How did it take you 3 years to realise that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

firstly talk to the career guidance dept in the college, that's what they're there for.

Secondly, all degrees are useful in business or jobs in general, if it's a reasonable mark, and even if it's not. College is a stepping stone - no matter what your degree is in, you'll have to 'learn on the job'. IOW even a enginerring degree is but a overview - you wont become a 'useful' employee in an engineering company until you've learned their specific job demands.

A degree shows discipline and an level of commitment - no matter what the degree is.

IMO, finish your degree and do a one year masters in something you REALLY enjoy if you're concerned - or work voluntary in an area you'd like. - (and think more than Ireland as an option for a post grad.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Stick with it even if there are no immediate job prospects. A degree these days is mostly document that states "this person can jump through hoops for x number of years". Employers like people who put up with crap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

How did it take you 3 years to realise that?

unhelpful.

i did the opposite if it makes you feel better, engineering to photography

Advertisement