Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sponsorship scams in Lucan?

• 11-12-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

dont know about others but i'm getting wary of all these kids coming around asking for money for various sponsorship 'programs'. During the summer there were kids round once a week asking for money for a boxing club. Didnt think much about it at the time and handed over the odd euro or two each time. but today in the space of a couple of hours there's one for 'children in Africa' (yeah right) and 'helping restore sight' (hmmm). It's impossible to tell if someone is sending these kids out of course but it just seems suspect now that ive lived here a while. And it's a heck of a lot easier to get people to hand out cash to seemingly innocent kids than it is to ask for clothes to be sent to the poor and starving of the 3rd world, and we all know where they end up...in the street markets of Vilnius and Riga.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've had quite a few over the last few months,mainly kids. Often they just stand at the door and just wave a sheet of paper at you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Yeah. I got a few of these too. I use to give but now I don't.
    I suspected that I saw the same kid twice looking for sponsorship for two unrelated activities a couple of months apart - and a strange white van parked down the road.
    I feel sorry for genuine charities but you have to make a decision, so now I just support Pieta house and SVdeP and the school my kids go to.

Advertisement