Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pathologists around?

Options
  • 11-12-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Any pathologists around?

I was considering the specialty, but I heard that there will be an oversupply of pathologists in about 10 years. I also heard the market in the states is abismal and the pay is very low compared to other specialties (if you exclude the public jobs).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I was considering the specialty, but I heard that there will be an oversupply of pathologists in about 10 years.

Where did you hear this?

There's no way anyone could know this.
    I also heard the maret in the states is abisma and the pay is very low compared to other specialties (if you exclude the public jobs).

Don't do medicine for money. You'll go insane. It's really not worth it for money alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lady Wintour

I heard it on IMT:

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/guests/2009/07/irish-system-faces-shortfalls.html

"The consultant workforce is not facing such drastic shortages, with paediatrics, pathology and emergency medicine predicted to have an oversupply of doctors by 2020. However, if the higher density arising from the implementation of the Report of the National Task Force on Medical Staffing was achieved and sustained over the period, shortages would be seen in obstetrics/gynaecology, medicine, surgery, radiology, anaesthesia and psychiatry."

You can't know but you can analyse and attempt to make a judgement.

As for the money- I agree with you absolutely. But you have to have an idea of what you are getting into and all the implications. Any career is a business plan as well as a pursuit of a passion at the end of the day. Let's not get into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I heard it on IMT:

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/guests/2009/07/irish-system-faces-shortfalls.html

"The consultant workforce is not facing such drastic shortages, with paediatrics, pathology and emergency medicine predicted to have an oversupply of doctors by 2020. However, if the higher density arising from the implementation of the Report of the National Task Force on Medical Staffing was achieved and sustained over the period, shortages would be seen in obstetrics/gynaecology, medicine, surgery, radiology, anaesthesia and psychiatry."

You can't know but you can analyse and attempt to make a judgement

That is interesting. If I had more time, I'd look into it a bit more and see how they're arriving at that conclusion. I can't even begin to contemplate how they worked that out (of course, I'm also sleeping an average of four hours a night these days so I'm finding it difficult to think of anything :rolleyes: ).

Best way to think of it is that there will always be a demand for doctors, of every speciality, especially if you're willing to move. Which admittedly, is a big 'if'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lady Wintour

Not wanting to put you at risk of disclosing your identity - is it surgery by any chance that is responsible for such a peculiar sleep pattern?

Advertisement