Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Point Transmit Power

Options
  • 11-12-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I can find EU or US firmware for my WAP54G.

Does anyone know if one has a higher power output. I know DD-WRT enables you to increase the power but I'm a bit nervous after reading the blogs, wiki, etc..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

get the EU, as there is a law for transimtting power in the EU Regulation, if you exceed it, it consider breakign the law :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

EU power limit for these is 100mW, Linksys data sheet says output is 30mW for both US and EU datasheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

JonMac wrote: »
    EU power limit for these is 100mW, Linksys data sheet says output is 30mW for both US and EU datasheets.

As far as I know, the 100mW limit is at the output of the antenna and not the output from the radio itself so you'd need to take the antenna gain into account too when calculating whether or not you're within the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Comreg aren't going to knock on Your door like the TV licence inspector :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Comreg aren't going to knock on Your door like the TV licence inspector :D

No but sometimes people just crank up the power as much as they can in the hope that it'll solve their wireless problems. It rarely does. They just become a noisy wireless neighbour and as a result make things difficult for others around them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement