Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry arrrrgghh

• 11-12-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I have no interest in poetry and it's painful for me to do! Have two essays to do on two poets as well :/ Really wish I didn't have to do it :p any tips?

What part of the leaving do you really hate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

The Shtig wrote: »
    I have no interest in poetry and it's painful for me to do! Have two essays to do on two poets as well :/ Really wish I didn't have to do it :p any tips?

What part of the leaving do you really hate?

I was in your exact shoes. I hated poetry with a deep passion!

Loads of cramming and learning poems off by heart was worth my B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

word to the wise...id pay less attention to the people saying that you should learn 5 + poems from the poets.... my formula was learn 3 poems from my selected poets (i did 3 in great detail) & 3 quotes from each poet.then i would note a distinctive feature used in there poetry (imagery) etc so all in all your essay would look like this

Par 1.Intro
    Par 2.Poem 1
    Par 3.Poem 2
    Par 4.Poem 3
    par 5.Distinctive feature in poets poetry
    par 6.Conclusion

Now i got a b3 in english (delighted) and i didnt even touch the unseen poetry so its safe to say its not a bad idea for anyone to use this template. also i was told most of my poetry essays were above 45/50 so i hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The Shtig wrote: »
    Well then, get interested! Poetry is just like storytelling, if you understand what the poet is trying to get across then you can say anything you like about it. When answering the poetry questions, always introduce the essay with what you are going to discuss and name the poems you will be using.

Avoid retelling the story of the poem when discussing it, instead highlight the features and content of the poem that is relevant to the question asked. Remember, as long as you can back it up with a quote or reference, you can literally say anything about the poem. The rhythm, the rhyme, the layout (some poems are laid out in a specific way, keep this in mind), and the poetic techniques used. Get familiar with terms like metaphor, simile, stanzas, irony, assonance, alliteration, etc. They're easy to learn and are invaluable in answering any question.

You don't need to learn a poem off my heart to use it well, just learn one or two lines that you feel to be important and highlight the poems features or significance. You are allowed to bring your personal opinion into it, but make sure when appropriate, explain your opinions. Keep at it and you'll fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stupidly Naked

pecker1992 wrote: »
    word to the wise...id pay less attention to the people saying that you should learn 5 + poems from the poets.... my formula was learn 3 poems from my selected poets (i did 3 in great detail) & 3 quotes from each poet.then i would note a distinctive feature used in there poetry (imagery) etc so all in all your essay would look like this

Par 1.Intro
    Par 2.Poem 1
    Par 3.Poem 2
    Par 4.Poem 3
    par 5.Distinctive feature in poets poetry
    par 6.Conclusion

Now i got a b3 in english (delighted) and i didnt even touch the unseen poetry so its safe to say its not a bad idea for anyone to use this template. also i was told most of my poetry essays were above 45/50 so i hope that helps :)

That format reads so robotically.
    Introduction
    Themes
    Imagry
    Style
    Language
    Conclusion.

If you combine many poems it actually interests the examiner and it reads with great fluidity.
    Im on course for a B1, but 4 of my friends got A1's and they used the format I mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I never thought I'd say it, as someone who loved English at Junior cert and has done loads of writing outside of school, but I hate English this year. The poets are boring and my teacher hates me. I have literally no feelings either way about Boland or Kavanagh, they are both decidedly underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Introduction
    Themes
    Imagry
    Style
    Language
    Conclusion.

If you combine many poems it actually interests the examiner and it reads with great fluidity.
    Im on course for a B1, but 4 of my friends got A1's and they used the format I mentioned.
    I used this today in my Christmas test. Hopefully my super-dismissive teacher likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

Introduction
    Themes
    Imagry
    Style
    Language
    Conclusion.

but this is a person thats not interested in poetry.....not you 4 friends that got A1's... my format isn't as broad but its better to know 3 poems very well than 5 or so briefly.. ive plenty of 48/50 essays wrote in that format & its much easier for people who just want a good poetry mark & wont have to worry if its structured right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

I hated paper 1,all of it. At least with paper 2, if you learnt stuff you'd be okay but creative thinking is not my strongpoint whatever i write was usually boring haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Introduction
    Themes
    Imagry
    Style
    Language
    Conclusion.

I did that today in my Xmas exam and it turned out really well! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement