Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with 2 old 1.8ghz desktops?

• 11-12-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Ive two old 1.8ghz computers.

An Acer aspire with a sempron 64 processer, 512 mb Ram, 80Gb Hdd
    A Dell Optiplex Gx260 with a P4, 512 mb Ram, 20Gb Hdd

Ive just formatted both of them and installed a 'Performance Edition' of Win XP.

My thoughts for one computer:
    Upgrade ram to 1gb
    Buy a DVT-B dongle
    Upgrade Hdd to 500gb+ and use computer as a media centre.

I do a bit of work with Dreamweaver, Photoshop and lightroom (currently on my 1.8ghz duo core 3gb ram laptop).

Would a formatted 1.8ghz PC with lets say 2gb ram be suffice for this? and running 2 or 3 of the programs concurrently?
    If so which processor should I go for, P4 or Sempron?

Has anyone any other thoughts of what these computers could be used for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A skip:D

Or seriously, maybe donate them to a charity or some class that may teach IT to disadvantaged or night classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

NIMAN wrote: »
    A skip:D

Or seriously, maybe donate them to a charity or some class that may teach IT to disadvantaged or night classes?

Charity or install and learn Linux. Great thing about GNU/Linux, is that it will work on anything from an old piece of **** 486, all the way up to the current fastest supercomputer in the world. You won't have to pay either which is a consideration. Charity is better though.

Advertisement