Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non stew dinners

Options
  • 11-12-2010 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

ok so im nearly finished college for christmas so i will be moving home soon
    since it winter ALL my mam makes is stew which i really despise now that she makes it so much. i could survive eating it (barely) at the weekends but now i will be home for a long amount of time

so my question is does anyone have any hearty filling winter meals?
    im not fussy anything other than stew would be great

Cheers :)

also sorry for the really long story/rant about stew :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

You could always try making pies instead of stew.

Found this link to a Bill Granger Chicken pot pie: http://www.smh.com.au/news/recipes/ask-bill/2006/07/24/1153593261183.html
    which is very close to a recipe I use from one of his books - difference being the addition of a handful of frozen peas. Also easier to make 1 big pie instead of a few small ones.

Or if you just wanted to try a variation on a stew you could always try Beef Cobbler - beef stew with cobblers (soft scones) baked around the top of the stew in the last 20 mins of cooking.

Or for a non-meat alternative there's always thick veg. soup. Bill Granger (I love his books!) has a great puy lentil soup. Found a link on this blog: http://viciousange.blogspot.com/2007/05/puy-lentil-soup.html
    It's a really nice soup and is very filling. My dad thought there was meat in it for ages - was just the lentils though....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe ask your mam to stop making so much stew

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cottage pie, lasange, roasts, Curries, Bolognese, pretty much anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Pizza, risotto, paella, lamb or pork chops, chicken Kiev, fish pie, lasagne, pasta bake, salmon en croute, sausage and mash - well you know there's an awful lot of food that isn't stew - perhaps you could offer to cook the dinner whilst you're at home and open up the world of 'it's not stew' to your Mam :) I'm sure she'd enjoy the break from cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

EASIEST warming dinner:
    2 sweet potatoes, diced - chuck them in a large pan with an onion and a knob of butter, then cover with water, enough to cover them but not too much..Simmer for 15 mins, stick in a blender with 2tsp curry powder OR cinnamon powder (trust me) then finish off by stirring in some cream..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Millypenny wrote: »
    Or if you just wanted to try a variation on a stew you could always try Beef Cobbler - beef stew with cobblers (soft scones) baked around the top of the stew in the last 20 mins of cooking.

That sounds tasty - thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sevi

:pac:Cowboy hotpot is a tasty comforting meal which my mum used to cook for me and my sister now i make for my partner and i;
    Slice 2/3 large potatoes, cube a block of cheddar,
    fry 1 chopped onion with 1 chopped red pepper and 2/3 chopped carrots or 1 sweet potato diced- until soft.
    add some green beans, 1 can baked beans, 1 can sweetcorn (and liquor), 1 tbsp tomato puree and 1/2 -1 tsp cayenne pepper, stir, bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins.
    Put it into a shallow dish and scatter with cubed cheese, cover with sliced pot's, brush with melted butter and bake in preheated oven at 190o for 30/40 mins until golden and pot's cooked.
    Enjoy!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Bit of chilli and rice is good for warming up and filling.

Advertisement