Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

marlin 917v

Options
  • 11-12-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

photo_917V.jpg

thinking of trading in my b.s.a lever action .22 for this has anyone used or owned one and if so what was it like. thinking of getting it for rabbits and foxes or can anyone recommend something else in a .17 that is in the same price range. marlin 917v selling on duffys site for 370 euro.

tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    photo_917V.jpg

thinking of trading in my b.s.a lever action .22 for this has anyone used or owned one and if so what was it like. thinking of getting it for rabbits and foxes or can anyone recommend something else in a .17 that is in the same price range. marlin 917v selling on duffys site for 370 euro.

tommy
    Nice firearm, had a few marlins in my time very well made and a good manufacturer, wont go wrong with it, also the CZ is something similar for around same. Good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

I recently traded from 22 bsa air rifle to marlin 917v second hand. Its a good solid rifle trigger is heavy but imo adds to the safety. Its well able for rabbits out to 150 yards but its up for debate wheather its suiteable for foxes. If you get a head shot at 120 yards the fox will drop on the fox spot but you need to know your rifle and have your accuracy in check as the .17 round is small you need to be hitting vital organs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

got mine new this year, love it. very accurate and a great round. what part of the country you in lad? bit more practice beanie and ya will knock rabbits alot further than that. what scope you got on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Go for it tommyboy you won't look back.Have a look at the link below.
    http://17hmr.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

its a ncstar 3-12x50E. Is this ok or should i get a stronger one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭blackwater doc

have a marlin synthetic stock with stainless steel barrel with a week and am into double figures on foxes theres a hawke 5.5 16x44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

got mine new this year, love it. very accurate and a great round. what part of the country you in lad?QUOTE]

from kildare bud

tommy

traded in the b.s.a today for a second hand marlin 917vsf heavy barrel cant wait to get licence back so i can finally try out the hunting side of shooting:D

tommy

Nice choice tommyboy.

co.waterford sham...........foxes getting scarce :D

• Advertisement

so anyone recommend ammo for the marlin.......?

tommy

Mine likes Hornady 17gr. v-max.

marlin vs wrote: »
    Mine likes Hornady 17gr. v-max.
    +1, thats all i use

ive tried nothing else only the v max 17gr and going to stick to them 14.50 per box bet any 1 cant get them any cheaper

ive tried nothing else only the v max 17gr and going to stick to them 14.50 per box bet any 1 cant get them any cheaper

How much would you bet.:D

marlin vs wrote: »
    How much would you bet.:D
    where do ya's get them for that price lads?? iv rang every dealer around me and my local is the cheapest at 19euro a box!!

john greene kilmacow ......southern optics is the business name

Advertisement