Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snowaboard and boots, where to buy?

• 11-12-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hey all . My first post here.
    Went snowboarding for the first time last year and had the buzz of my life (on the ALPS)
    I was sorry I didnt have any snowboarding gear last week.
    Gonna prepare now as I'd be hoping we'll get more snow.
    Can anyone recommend where I can go to get fixed up? Im living in Clare.
    Thanks.
    Grif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Best bet is to head up to teh BIG SCHMOKE to be honest.Theres a bvariety of places like SNow and rock and the great outdoors.Google places in dublin and come up with the rest of the culchies on the 22nd(at least i think thats the date) for your shopping;).

Theres is always offers on around xmas ,you can also get good ski gear in TK maxx for competitive prices.

If u get a chance though try snow and rock great place for ski gear/snow board gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Buy online!

Snow and Rock is pricey imo, as is the great outdoors for that matter. But they are the only 2 places I know that have a relatively good selection of hard gear (Board, Bindings and Boots).

My advise it to try on a pair of boots in a bricks and mortar store and buy online once you have your size for that brand. Your board and binding size is pretty standard so no need to try it all out :D

One place I found really good deals on was www.trusnow.com - they used to be Sierra Snowboards but changed the name after a row with Burton over selling below RRP. I dont think they ship Burton stuff outside the US anymore but they do ship all the other brands and shipping is really cheap. I got a board FedEx'd for 40 dollars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi Grif,

Second above. Buy online, used amazon and e-bay before and gear was fine. What resort are you going to because you may be able to look up the shops there as some resorts are tax free? :D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

Hey lads,
    Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.
    I dunno Ulinbac, I havent got anything planned yet.

But the last lash of snow we got here put me thinkin.
    It seems we can probably expect a bit at some stage, every year, round here from now on (fingers crossed). And its an awful shame not to have the gear ready and waiting as it rarely lasts.

So when i get set up and it snows Ill be heading out to various locations around the country looking for the perfect course.
    If that doesnt work ill head back over to Isola near Nice. Thats where i was last time and it was incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

grifter09 wrote: »
    Hey lads,
    Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.
    I dunno Ulinbac, I havent got anything planned yet.

But the last lash of snow we got here put me thinkin.
    It seems we can probably expect a bit at some stage, every year, round here from now on (fingers crossed). And its an awful shame not to have the gear ready and waiting as it rarely lasts.

So when i get set up and it snows Ill be heading out to various locations around the country looking for the perfect course.
    If that doesnt work ill head back over to Isola near Nice. Thats where i was last time and it was incredible!

You know of somewhere with skilifts? Isn't not quite the same when you have to posthole up the mountain for 2 hours to get a 10min run ;-)

BTW RyanAir are now charging about 80euro to carry a snowboard or skis. By the time you factor in cost of board, servicing every year and transport, it doesn't make much sense for a person living in Ireland to buy a board, unless you are going for a few weeks at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

rossc007 wrote: »
    Buy online!

Snow and Rock is pricey imo, as is the great outdoors for that matter. But they are the only 2 places I know that have a relatively good selection of hard gear (Board, Bindings and Boots).

My advise it to try on a pair of boots in a bricks and mortar store and buy online once you have your size for that brand. Your board and binding size is pretty standard so no need to try it all out :D

One place I found really good deals on was www.trusnow.com - they used to be Sierra Snowboards but changed the name after a row with Burton over selling below RRP. I dont think they ship Burton stuff outside the US anymore but they do ship all the other brands and shipping is really cheap. I got a board FedEx'd for 40 dollars!

ROSSC07 what board you get? ive been looking at some of their inhouse stuff. havent a breeze who makes it but its reasonably priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Went snowboarding for the first time last year and had the buzz of my life (on the ALPS)
    Thanks.
    Grif
    Where 'bout in Clare are you, we didn't get any snow in Ennis.... well, if you called what we got snow.... omg :P

Also, it's gonna be a race to LIDL if they get the snowboards back again... still annoyed I didn't buy one a few years ago :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

bargainboards.co.uk are a good. Got a great deal on a non branded board with flow bindings and a toolkit last year. Their clothes are good value also.

Its worth spending on IMO, rental gear is hit and miss. It evens out over a few holidays. No need to spend a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Thanks.
    Grif

If anyone is interested in a pair of size 10 GNU snowboard boots, worn for 2 weeks, PM me. Going cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

MTBking ya no snow here yet. should be here this weekend though.
    But ah, what about findin a road up a mountain and boardin down the fields.
    get someone to drive up and down and pick up/drop off. take turns.
    sound good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭snowstreams

MTBking ya no snow here yet. should be here this weekend though.
    But ah, what about findin a road up a mountain and boardin down the fields.
    get someone to drive up and down and pick up/drop off. take turns.
    sound good?

Theres nothing as satisfying as snowboarding down an irish mountain covered in powder snow. I do it every time we get a decent amount of snow because I like hiking in the mtns anyway.
    But if you have snow chains you can get a few places around the country to get a lift up. Plenty of people do that in wicklow mtns.
    I think its time that someone in ireland did buy a small portable ski lift (~1500euro). The weather seems to be getting right for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

rockman15 wrote: »
    ROSSC07 what board you get? ive been looking at some of their inhouse stuff. havent a breeze who makes it but its reasonably priced

Hey Rockman, I got a Burton Hero back in September when they still shipped out Burton stuff.

http://www.shayboarder.com/2009/04/snowboard-review-09-10-burton-hero.html

Decided to get Custom EST bindings too as they where alot cheaper than anywhere else. The Burton Store in New York where selling them at 240 dollars, I got them for online for 170 dollars.

I cant personally vouch for their in house Sierra brand, but if you look around for independent reviews Im sure you'll be pleased :D

Advertisement