Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics, Astronomy and Space Science

Options
  • 11-12-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I was at the open day yesterday and I was really impressed by the college. I was thinking of studying the same course in DCU but I think I have been won over. I'd just like to hear from any current students what the course is like, what it covers and how hard it is?
    I'd have asked at the open day, but any time I swung around by the Physics stand there wasn't a student there, just a couple of lecturers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

Thus far, it's as hard as you choose to make it. Given how long it is, I'll put a little TL;DR at the bottom.;)

The core modules(Something similar to a class) I've done so far are:
    Astronomy and Space-Science: Unimaginably easy if you already know even a little about the subject. It covers telescopes and their uses, planetary motion and other general topics and concludes with more exotic astrophysics such as basic stuff on black holes and neutron stars. It's nowhere near as maths-ey as it should be, but that's a good thing for the first year.
    Foundations of Physics: You've covered the course if you've done Physics and Applied Maths, but the labs are somewhat painful in that you've to do basic stuff and cope with uncertainties(Basic statistics).
    It's unsurprisingly just an introduction to Newtonian physics.
    According to the affable Professor Duffy though, this module will be changed next year to be a broader introduction to physics.
    Intro Physics(Group project): It's somewhat irritating in many regards, but it's actually not particularly difficult if you have a group that wants to pass.

From there, you can choose between Introduction to Mathematics(Does what it says on the tin.) and Mathematical Modelling 1.
    I chose Mathematical Modelling 1 and it's pretty intense in that it shows multiple methods for obtaining data from and constructing models of systems. The lecturer is all different kinds of loopy, but in the best, most amazing way possible.
    If you're decent at maths, Math Mod. will be a bit on the tough side and Into to Maths will be quite a bit on the easier side. And don't think you miss out by not taking the harder ones, because you don't.

You also must choose three maths modules from either a 'higher' or 'lower' stream. Having spoken to a few people from the school of physics, there should be something of a 'mid-level' maths stream coming in next year, and that's a very good thing.
    I've mixed and matched between the streams taking two harder and one easier. As of yet I've only done one harder and one easier. The hard one, Numbers and Functions, was extremely intense dealing with Number Theory and the like, but is extremely interesting if you're into that. It also has one of the most loveable and quirky lecturers I've ever heard of, which makes it even more interesting.
    The easy one I chose, Matrices and Vectors is just far, far too easy, but I suppose that depends on your mathematical capabilities.

Next semester's work doesn't appear to be immensely daunting as it's just classical electromagnetism and relativity for the most part.

TL;DR: If you're already familiar with physics, astronomy and maths, it's an easy semester and possibly an easy year. Next year things will be a little different, and just know that the harder maths stream is very pure.

Also, having spent time in DCU, I'd personally pick UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Thank you!!

I'm fairly good at Physics at LC level and I love astronomy, so I should be alright with that.

I'm doing ordinary level maths, is that a huge problem? The lecturer I spoke to said that I would be fine but obviously I'd like to double check that. I'm not bad at maths, actually I've a good head for it, I just get bogged down in it if I'm lost. I know I'd be doing the lower level stuff next year but would that bite me in the ass in later years?
    Also, having spent time in DCU, I'd personally pick UCD.
    Why? Is there an academical reason or just a love for UCD?

One more thing, what's the gender balance like? Just kinda curious :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If you intend to do physic, you need to be very, very good at maths. Physics is one of the hardest degrees (and one of the most rewarding) on offer. You don't need to do higher level maths to be accepted, but if you're not able to do it you won't be able to do the maths in physics.

Good luck!

You'll be more than fine with ordinary maths; most of my friends are in the lower ones and aren't suffering at all. One of my mates got a D in Ordinary maths for the LC and is doing fine.

As for any later repercussions, the course is designed so that it doesn't bite you in the ass.

Personally, the DCU campus was a little weird, the accommodation horrendous(I was in the worst there, but I'm living in Belgrove now, so who am I to talk?) and the restaurant left quite a bit to be desired. Do talk to people from DCU to get their opinions, though.

As for the gender balance, it's leaning a bit towards the men. All the ladies are lovely in every sense though, whether that's something you want to know or not. :p

Edit: ChocolateSauce:
    A lot of people in my course aren't much better at maths than your average accounting student. I don't think it's as demanding as people tend to think.
    Do you study Physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Aoifums wrote: »
    Thank you!!

I'm fairly good at Physics at LC level and I love astronomy, so I should be alright with that.

I'm doing ordinary level maths, is that a huge problem? The lecturer I spoke to said that I would be fine but obviously I'd like to double check that. I'm not bad at maths, actually I've a good head for it, I just get bogged down in it if I'm lost. I know I'd be doing the lower level stuff next year but would that bite me in the ass in later years?

Don't let maths stop you from choosing a course. There is a Maths support centre in the Science building so if you have a problem you can pop down there and get extra help.

• Advertisement

One of my mates got a D in Ordinary maths for the LC and is doing fine.

That isn't possible, because the minimum grade in maths UCD will allow for entry to omnibus science is a B3 in O level (what I got btw) or a D in higher.

Unless they've lowered the entry requirement since I entered that is.

Conflicting information, how fun! :D
    Personally, the DCU campus was a little weird, the accommodation horrendous(I was in the worst there, but I'm living in Belgrove now, so who am I to talk?) and the restaurant left quite a bit to be desired. Do talk to people from DCU to get their opinions, though.

As for the gender balance, it's leaning a bit towards the men. All the ladies are lovely in every sense though, whether that's something you want to know or not.

I've stayed in DCU's before, and believe me, I've seen worse.

And the Physics talk was very male dominated. But I've spent 13 years in an all girls school, so a more mixed group sounds better.

That isn't possible, because the minimum grade in maths UCD will allow for entry to omnibus science is a B3 in O level (what I got btw) or a D in higher.

Unless they've lowered the entry requirement since I entered that is.
    Well, that's what he told me.
    I've stayed in DCU's before, and believe me, I've seen worse.
    Was that CTYI, by any chance?

Conflicting information, how fun! :D

If you'd like me to go into more detail I'd be happy to do my best. If you think you're able, I'd absolutely encourage you to do it, physics is my favourite subject and I think it is a wonderful thing to do. I just don't want you to take it and then find it too hard!

Was that CTYI, by any chance?

Yep :)

• Advertisement

If you'd like me to go into more detail I'd be happy to do my best. If you think you're able, I'd absolutely encourage you to do it, physics is my favourite subject and I think it is a wonderful thing to do. I just don't want you to take it and then find it too hard!

Oh please do. I'm trying to find out as much as I can before I fill out the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

According to the prospective you need at least an ordinary B3 or higher D3 in maths...

https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/astrospace.ezc

^Well, then he wasn't talkin' through his mouth that time, I guess. ;)
    Yep :)
    It's a very small world.

I've met a scary number of people who've been around UCD. Even one of the girls in the course went in 06 and 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

^Well, then he wasn't talkin' through his mouth that time, I guess. ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Theres less astronomy (in first year anyway) then I thought there would be. We just have physics and maths modules next semester and whatever electives I guess.

Intro to Physics group project is good up until the point you realise you've a project to finish and present in 2 weeks:D:D
    (What group were you in AkiThePirate?)
    Thus far, it's as hard as you choose to make it.

+1 to that. If I'd chosen the hard maths stream I'd say I'd be struggling now. Although not sure if I'd even be allowed to with OL Maths.

I was in Group 7 with the magnetic elevator thing. And the name's Liam.
    Teaching yourself classical electromagnetics isn't fun. :p

Which group did you have the honour of working with? And how'd your presentation go?

I was in Group 7 with the magnetic elevator thing. And the name's Liam.
    Teaching yourself classical electromagnetics isn't fun. :p

Which group did you have the honour of working with? And how'd your presentation go?

I was on the nuclear power plant one! Presentation went pretty good to be honest, better than I expected! You guys? Vaguely remember talking to who I think you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Bear in mind that it is mostly a physics degree with the astronomy stuff making up maybe 20% of the total.

I'm the most mundane looking guy in the group. Ours went okay, too. I'm glad Vohnsen is sound.

This might sound weird, but do you by any chance have an epic beard? :pac:

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that it is mostly a physics degree with the astronomy stuff making up maybe 20% of the total.

+1
    I'm the most mundane looking guy in the group. Ours went okay, too. I'm glad Vohnsen is sound.

This might sound weird, but do you by any chance have an epic beard? :pac:

Hahaha nope afraid not. Someone in my group did though. Yeah he's doing Fields, waves and light next semester so that should be good.

• Advertisement

Ahh. I'm diabolical with names. :(

And yeah, I can't wait for next semester. I'll be busy, but I have some awesome classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

I'm really interested in this course too, and was at the talk in UCD. I was quite suprised by the gender ratio in the talk, I'd say there were about 5 or 6 girls there and over 50 guys. I thought there'd be more guys but not that many! Does anyone know if the course is actually like that?

To the OP, judging by your previous posts about the Institute, we're probably in the same Physics class haha :)

I'm glad to hear that the Maths is still doable at pass level. I'm good at pass Maths but was worried about it. I'm prepared to work hard though.

Does anyone know how this course compares to Physics and Astrophysics in Trinity?

In my year at least there is a substantial gender imbalance. If you're a girl, then that's good for you; more choice. ;)

The largest difference that I'm aware of between the UCD and TCD courses is that the course in TCD is non-denominated(I think; double-check). It might be worth asking a Trinity student if it's possible to do pure physics for the first two years of the degree.

In my year at least there is a substantial gender imbalance. If you're a girl, then that's good for you; more choice. ;)

The largest difference that I'm aware of between the UCD and TCD courses is that the course in TCD is non-denominated(I think; double-check). It might be worth asking a Trinity student if it's possible to do pure physics for the first two years of the degree.

As far as I can tell, you can't. I've been warned by UCD students that I can't say this but I've been looking at Trinity too :eek:

That's what I thought, and that's the main reason I went to UCD if I'm honest about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I was at the open day yesterday and I was really impressed by the college. I was thinking of studying the same course in DCU but I think I have been won over. I'd just like to hear from any current students what the course is like, what it covers and how hard it is?
    I'd have asked at the open day, but any time I swung around by the Physics stand there wasn't a student there, just a couple of lecturers.

You'll say you want to do physics now but believe me, you won't. Honesty I'd say about 20% of the people in my course don't regret their decision. Plus, there's no real career you can get out of it except teaching physics and maybe maths depending how many maths courses you took.

Keep away while you still can.

CareersPortal
    A wide range of careers is open to you, including:

- R&D in high-tech industries
    - Software development
    - Teaching
    - Banking and finance
    - Management consultancy
    - Meteorology
    - Medical physics

The degree also prepares you for careers within the space industry (e. g. NASA and ESA) and in research.

You also will be extremely well prepared to pursue further study at MSc level, or research at PhD level, in Ireland and abroad.
    I've heard that quite a lot of people end up in finance.

I've heard that quite a lot of people end up in finance.

Baahh, the prospectus is just there to draw you in, the same as the open days. It's not always what it says on the tin. Talk to physics graduates, that's where the real stories are told. Believe me I spent the whole year bemoaning the fact that I chose it after talking to a few physics grads and also doing a little bit more research about what physics grads do after their degree (something I really should have done before putting it down on my CAO).

The main bit of advice I'd give you is to research the industry you go into and don't just read the college websites or prospectuses because they're often very biased.

Plus believe me, the physics dept. in UCD is a mess, you'll end up like a headless chicken.

Well, I suppose in that I don't really want a 'real job', I'm sorted.
    Teaching is something I wouldn't mind, and I'd certainly love to take the education further.

I suppose if you really want a job, physics isn't the best degree... But it's all up to you.

• Advertisement

Well, I suppose in that I don't really want a 'real job', I'm sorted.
    Teaching is something I wouldn't mind, and I'd certainly love to take the education further.

I suppose if you really want a job, physics isn't the best degree... But it's all up to you.

Well if you notice what I said earlier, i.e., there's no real career in physics except teaching, in that I was implying that teaching is actually a real career.

Advertisement