Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know any good Jiu-Jitsu clubs in Dublin??? plz and thanks.

• 11-12-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Looking for a good club around dublin, do tae kwon-do at the moment have been at it for years just want something that deals with locks and throws to more fun for me:eek::pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If your looking for locks and throws I'd suggest you look at Judo instead of Jitz.

Although traditional JJ has throws they're really not as refined as Judo, in fact no where close.

Brazilian JJ has lots of locks too, but no throws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If your looking for locks and throws I'd suggest you look at Judo instead of Jitz.

Although traditional JJ has throws they're really not as refined as Judo, in fact no where close.

Brazilian JJ has lots of locks too, but no throws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yONt008iIl4

the big guy in the white might disagree.

He might, I might also say I didn't see any throw in that clip.

Now why don't you stick to the topic and try help the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

every guy that does throws in bjj is much more often than not, also a judo black belt.

Original poster - there are many good bjj clubs in dublin, some better than others where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Ryan, you may already know this already, jujutsu is a pretty broad term that covers a lot of different martial arts.

Being a Japanese term, written in Japanese characters, there's no technically correct way of spelling it in English, but a few conventions have have taken hold. Writing it as "Jiu Jitsu" generally refers to Brazilian Jiu jitsu, and writing it as "JuJutsu" usually means all styles, but a lot of people take it to mean you're talking about just the traditional styles.

BJJ is almost all ground fighting, eg. one person is on their back. It's supposed to have throwing, but in practice this is rarely taught, and is usually limited to one or two simple ones. The BJJ community is very integrated with MMA, so it's fairly common for instructors to be of the opinion that if you want to learn throwing and striking, you should go do specific classes for them.

Judo is mainly throwing , with some ground fighting. The amount of ground fighting you do varies greatly form school to school, but I would say on average, you'll learn much more ground fighting in judo than you would learn throws in BJJ. (If that makes sense.)

The traditional styles then usually have some element of striking in them, and place a lot of emphasis on standing arm-locks and stuff like that. Unlike BJJ and judo though, they don't usually have as much free sparring, and you spend a lot of time learning two-man patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He might, I might also say I didn't see any throw in that clip.

Now why don't you stick to the topic and try help the OP.

cause its helpful that he gets the right information, there are throws in bjj, not many but there are, they may be copied / adpated / developed from judo but to say there are none isnt correct, its like saying there is no ground fighting in judo.

and isnt there a sticky at the top of the page for clubs?

cause its helpful that he gets the right information, there are throws in bjj, not many but there are, they may be copied / adpated / developed from judo but to say there are none isnt correct, its like saying there is no ground fighting in judo.

If he goes into a BJJ class looking to learn throws, he's going to be disappointed. Simple as that. While you're technically correct, you're trying to give the OP an incorrect impression of what he's going to get for the sake of winning an internet argument.

Now, a lot of clubs have additional classes, like SBG where they have a wrestling coach, and Andy Ryan's place where they have judo, but in most places it's just ground fighting with the odd double leg drill every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Theres an excellent Jiu Jitsu Club in Coolmine that has an equally excellent competition record in judo comps.

;)

By the way BJJ has more throws in it than judo... ;) boom!

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    Theres an excellent Jiu Jitsu Club in Coolmine that has an equally excellent competition record in judo comps.
    I heard there's a judo club there that's fairly handy at jiujitsu. Must be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

I heard there's a judo club there that's fairly handy at jiujitsu. Must be a coincidence.

No idea what you're talking about! :)

• Advertisement

And of the four different ways to win in Judo, Throws - Joint locks - Pin's & Chokes/Strangles three are performed on the ground!.

'lawrencesummers' - for completely derailing a thread you should be warned or infracted, this time your winging it.

OP, it really would help if we knew what kind of JJ style your looking for.

If its BJJ and you want to include throws, I'd probably have to recommend Andy Ryans BJJ Revolution in Baldoyle and Luke Corcoran's Coolmine BJJ club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Don't forget Bujinkan.... not "jujutsu" per se but contains all the elements that origional Japanese jujutsu schools contain... locks, throws, strikes and weapons in a coherent and integrated system.

www.bujinkan.ie for about 20 clubs in Dublin.

Advertisement