Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Computer

• 11-12-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Can someone please tell me if this computer is good for the likes of flight simulator
    Configuration
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable S&S***
    HDD: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
    MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dobly Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, & 1 PCI
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 2GB 16X PCI Express [+20] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The word Overkill springs to mind.. but yes. It would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 postlad

Thanks Overheal.Kind of new it was good but dont want to buy something only to find it wont run the new flight sim game properly.Think this is up to it:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well what kind of monitor resolution are you wanting to drive?
    Might be a waste of money if you're not running beyond 1080p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

That would handle FS with ease... and then some.

Unless you are going to be doing some heavy computations (protein folding etc.), I don't think you need an i7. For that matter, I don't think that the 2gb GTX 460 will give you any great advantage over the 1gb version.

How much are you thinking of spending on this? A self-build would be maybe €1000 (probably a little more). I can imagine that you would have to add several extra €100 the that if you are buying a complete system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 postlad

It's only £1000.Buying it on cyberpower.Anyone ever heard of them.Going to use my philips full hd flat screen as the monitor.I'm sure that's possible.

• Advertisement

postlad wrote: »
    It's only £1000.Buying it on cyberpower.Anyone ever heard of them.Going to use my philips full hd flat screen as the monitor.I'm sure that's possible.

The card could be wasted on low resolutions. Heck 1080p isn't that high to begin with anymore. The reason I ask is that you could save some money on the CPU and go for an eyefinity setup for that true flight sim wet dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I assume you have Win 7 or some such? If you are paying that much why not get a SSD?

I priced the same components on hardwareversand and the total was about €940 (+€30 p&p). So $1000 is a fantastic price. Though I wonder if that is including tax? I can only imagine how much cheaper it would be to build your own computer in the US compared to us suckers in Europe.

BTW, I assume you must be over in the US/ Canada because I don't believe they deliver anywhere else. Even if they did deliver to Europe, I would imagine that you will get hammered on import duty and p&p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Can someone please tell me if this computer is good for the likes of flight simulator
    Configuration
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable S&S***
    HDD: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
    MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Dobly Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2 x SATA-III RAID, & 1 PCI
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 2GB 16X PCI Express [+20] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)
    Looking for something like this but if you're buying this why not go for 12gigs+ memory.

pfft, 24GB at least, and a gold plated case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Looking for something like this but if you're buying this why not go for 12gigs+ memory.
    Sure, if you're running a server or something. No Home user is going to run into that much memory use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I assume you've budgeted for a good flight control system too ?
    Eg. a saitek x52

No point in spending all that money on a PC and just using a keyboard and mouse for a flight sim !

Advertisement