Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oct midterm break 2011

• 11-12-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

I know I know !!!! its 10 months away !!!! but trying to work out when this will be....have checked schooldays.ie and dept of education and they all only go up to easter 2011. Normally the week they are off includes the day of the 31st, so would I be right in guessing that the kids would be breaking up on Friday 27th October & returning monday 6th November ???? thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

More than likely finishing 28th October and back 7th November, though I don't think the dates have actually been agreed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thanks a lot they look the right dates allright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭GoldenEarring

The mid-term is always the week that contains the public holiday.

Thanks for that ! We did think that it would be the week of the bank holiday, but over the last few years we have always just looked up the dept of Education website and the various holidays would be there and usually up to 12 - 18 months in advance but at the moment they only have up to June which is a bit odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

The reason you've been able to find out the breaks in such good time for the last number of years is because a 5 year agreement was made in 2005 for the next 5 school years. That agreement runs out this school year and the new agreement, for the coming years, has not yet been released. It has been promised shortly but we are still waiting on word from Dept of Education & Skills. Until that is published, all talk about mid-term breaks is purely speculation.

• Advertisement

Thanks Overmantle - that explains it. I'm very keen that the kids dont miss any school, so I hope 'they' hurry up as we have been invited on a lovely family trip and cant wait to see if it will be a 'yes' or a 'no' !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

hi anyone heard about dates that will be set yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

anyone any idea??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

AFAIK no dates set yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Dept of Education is still stalling on the standardised school year for 2011/12, so no news yet. Unlikely to be any news for another while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Anybody have any updates on this? waiting to book flights to new york, hope to christ they make their minds up soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

No answer yet, and one of my friends made the point yesterday that the October midterm could easily be left at 2 days, the same as February, with it left to individual schools to take the extra 3 days themselves. This would make it easier to "make up" snowdays.

That's kind of silly as there will defo be no snow in Sept and Oct and if schools still take that week, we will be back to the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Whoever said anyone in a position to make decisions about our education system had any sense?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I thought they had to make up snow days this year....not in the 2011/12 school year for disruption caused in 2010/11 year.....???

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

Yes, snow days have to be made up, if possible, in the 2010/11 school year.

FACT
    The October 2011 Mid-Term Break - Monday 31 October to Friday 4 November inclusive.
    * The Christmas 2011 Break - Close Thursday 22 December, Re-open Monday 9 January.
    * The February 2012 Mid-Term Break - Monday 13 to Friday 17 February or Thursday 16 & Friday 17 February.
    * The Easter Break 2012 - Close Friday 30 March; Re-open Monday 16 April.

The proposal under discussion is that some flexibility would be built into the process to enable:

* a shortening of the February Mid-Term Break from 5 to 2 days, (applicable to those schools who opt for a 5 day February closure); and/or
    * the shortening of the Easter break by 3 days (the break would commence on Wednesday 4 April rather than Fri 30 March).

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Fact? According to whom?

Advertisement