Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice palce to live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have you driven that route? Its very rural for a regular commute. Anywhere on the route would be more of a village than a small town, and you are about half way between Tramore and Dungarven, but again, minor roads.

It depends on how remote you want to be. Kilmacthomas would be about the biggest place on the route. Do you particularly want to be at the coast? What is the particular appeal of Bunmahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

If I was working in Clonmel & looking for somewhere nice to live I'd look at Ballymacarbery .... pubs/shop/school, good community spirit, & not too much of a drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

comeraghs wrote: »
    If I was working in Clonmel & looking for somewhere nice to live I'd look at Ballymacarbery .... pubs/shop/school, good community spirit, & not too much of a drive.

or Touraneena or Newcastle/Ardfinnan/Kilsheelan in South County Tipp, but been so close to Clonmel the latter three might be a little more expensive if looking for some place.

Dungarvan and Kilmacthomas are some distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

Thanks for all the replies, I haven't driven the route, the wife likes the sea so probably down that end, I dont mind an hours drive, I do more than that at the moment. I'm easy going about it, as long as its a nice community I'm happy, some place for the little guy to play safely. I'm going to google those names ye gave me, thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Dungarvan is one of the nicest towns in Ireland. & Clonea Blue flag beach is just outside the town.

Stradbally might be another option if you want to be beside the sea. lovely spot.

Ardmore .... bad roads but lovely village,

Lismore or Cappoquin ... but not beside the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LightHugger

I'll second that. Dungarvan is a great place to live. I moved here about 10 years ago, and I've never regretted it. I live in Ballinroad which is a suburb of dungarvan, within walking distance of clonea beach (which is a fantastic beach for kids btw).

Dungarvan has nice restaurants, fairly good shopping,a modern cinema, amazing broadband. Theres great scope for outdoor activities here (sailing, kayaking, hillwalking etc.) You can be in waterford city in half an hour, and cork city in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I may be biased, but I agree with all the pro-Dungarvan comments. Also, if you want to live by the coast, and commute to Clonmel, then Dungarvan to Clonmel is probably your best bet.
    If you want more rural you have options like Ring or Colligan within a few miles of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi, Im from tramore, Co. waterford but currently live in Kildare (college). My cousin also lives in Tramore but travels an hour to Clonmel daily for work. She finds that easy enough.

Tramore is well known for its famous beach and coastal scenery and long walks (great if you have a dog or enjoy hiking). It also has several primary and secondary schools and many montessoris. It is a fairly large town and a 15-20 min drive from Waterford city (which also has a choice of schools and LOADS of shops).

Tramore is a safe town, it has never had a bad reputation of troubles, not that I ever heard of (Im 27). Parts of Waterford city does though but what city doesn't?!!!

I recommend Tramore, it's got it all for you, google it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query, Dungarven looks great as does Tramore (expensive?) They are def our main choices at the moment, we'll drive down for a look as soon as we can.

• Advertisement

Tramore has it all really and trust me...your wife/gf will MUCH prefer this coastal area...4 miles of a beach and much much more!

It has all the shops so you dont need to travel far for cheap groceries...Tesco, supervalu and Lidl are the main ones. It has several take aways, excluding the Chinese, Indian and Italian ones.

It has a great newsagents called Cahills...it supplies practically EVERYTHING! your kids would spend ages in there in amazement. Tramore also has many after school activity clubs...sport, music, dance, drama. And one for kids under 10...a creche like/play area called RunaMuck. Also has a G.A.A. pitch and outdoor soccer pitches. it also has a fab golf club and pitch and putt.

It has several well reviewed restaurants and pubs...a well known and still in great business is...Raglan road (bar and restaurant). I could go on and on...if you attend church, it has a large catholic and a large Protestant one and others too.

Good Luck.

Bubs99, more places need people like you, its nice to hear such positivity for a change, yeah the wife LOVES the coast and we've an 18 month old so activities are a must :) sounds great!

Good luck on your trips to find the right home for your family. Please let me know what you think of any towns you visit.

If you visit Tramore, Id love to see your opinion and if you think it needs changes, Id be very interested in knowing them...so would our council and Tidy Towns Commitee.

Tramore is currently under many changes to enlarge car parks and smoothen roads and also a massive new park is underway down by the Promenade which is our top spot in the summer time for locals and tourists alike.

Looking forward to reading your comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

you could also try Portlaw. houses arund here are not too expensive. 40 mins from clonmel. 15 from waterford city. 25 mins from the coast. i know a good few people living there and working in clonmel.

1. GAA club
    2. soccer club
    3. camogie
    4. musical society etc . etc. etc.

playground straight across the road from the primary school. secondary schools in carrick on suir and kilmacthomas and waterford city. i have a 2 year old myself and we find it a great little place to live. can do no harm having a look anyway. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R675&daddr=clonmel&hl=en&geocode=FWCVGwMdtIqP_w;FR7iHgMdCoiK_ynlJA9p_TFDSDFA8jGXqccACg&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=11&sll=52.229482,-7.494049&sspn=0.315847,0.617294&ie=UTF8&ll=52.237051,-7.508469&spn=0.315793,0.617294&z=11

this location in Ballyduff/Newcastle/Ardeenloun is central to alot of things which may interest ya

close to Kilmeaden Village which has pub, bistro, groceries, coop

10 mins from Bunmahon, 15 from Annestown, 20 from Tramore

15 mins to Waterford. 1 hr to Cork

40mins to Clonmel if you drive through portlaw...plenty of houses for sale here or sites aswell

do u live in kilmeaden? cos if you did , u would know that u dont hve to go through portlaw to get to clonmel in 40 mins.

tom thum wrote: »
    do u live in kilmeaden? cos if you did , u would know that u dont hve to go through portlaw to get to clonmel in 40 mins.

nope im closer to portlaw.........

sorry if I put you out by telling the guy to go through Portlaw, I hope you won't lose any sleep over it, I know I won't...its faster to get to Clonmel if your from around Carrolls cross via Portlaw...thats the way I go, works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Have to agree with the pro-Portlaw comments, I'm a blow-in here since 2006 and have really grown to like the place. I commute to Waterford for work and its 10-15 mins in the morning using the new link road. I know plenty of people working in Clonmel living here. There is a nice community spirit and the village is steeped in history. Plenty of houses here for sale too. I do like Tramore however and would have been a very close second to here. Huge plus is the price/size of houses here, Tramore prices are closer to Waterford city prices... I also find Tramore a little seasonal with the town going in to hibernation in the Winter months. Hell make me an offer on my house and I'm outta here !!!!!:D

nope im closer to portlaw.........

sorry if I put you out by telling the guy to go through Portlaw, I hope you won't lose any sleep over it, I know I won't...its faster to get to Clonmel if your from around Carrolls cross via Portlaw...thats the way I go, works for me
    touchy touchy. :rolleyes:

touchy feely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Get a room, you two....:D

Advertisement