Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Butterfly Effect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Loved that vid. Some of the videos these guys come out with for big Compilation Competitions are just amazing. Here is another one for a different competition that I thought was epic, quite similar in parts to the first one, but worth a watch too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Good video but doesn't really make sense in terms of the butterfly effect considering they are massive incidents not minor or insignificant ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Am I the only one that was unimpressed by that video in the op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

eagle eye wrote: »
    Am I the only one that was unimpressed by that video in the op?

I don't know.

Anyone else unimpressed by the orginal video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Class video. Life is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow, what a pointless video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

that had fuuuk all to do with the butterfly effect.

the guy should watch this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Maybe it's a dramatic example of the butterfly effect, but I thought it was still a great video. Edited well.

Wouldn't mind if Lehmann did save the ball and end up winning the Champions League for Arsenal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Nice music is about the only thing I can get from that video. What on earth did that have to do with the so-called butterfly effect? Nothing that I could see. Guy must have been on something when he put that together.

(in any case, the butterfly effect in chaos theory is not really taken that seriously anymore, been shown to be exaggerated and overly simplistic) /scientific non-football point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It was closely related to the butterfly effect because they showed two outcomes of each shot. For example, one part showed Man U back in the day missing a goal that saved them from relegation, that would have got Fergie sacked, and it showed the subsequent headlines, then it rewound back and showed the goal going in...and the rest is history.
    Same with some bloke in the WC scoring a peno. Everyone was happy. Rewind, peno miss and everyone sad.
    Took me a while to notice that! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Good video!

I've seen recently how the little things in Football can have such huge impact on everything.

Last year when Sligo Rovers lost the FAI Cup final by conceding two goals in the last 8 minutes by the town had a such a depressing atmosphere after.

This year when they won it on penalties the town went crazy, pubs and nightclubs full, people lining the street, shops selling more jerseys etc etc

And all this came down to a few penalty saves by Ciaran Kelly. If he had let the ball slip and one of the Rovers players had of hit the post or whatever with their penalty it would have been so different, no bus top tour, no celebrations in town etc..

Or if the year before if Sporting Fingal had of missed their 85th minute penalty then Sligo prob would have went on and won the cup but it wasn't to be

One of the reasons Football is such a good sport, the bounce of a ball can have such a massive impact on everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So somebody puts a few clips together to make a point that if certain incidents in sport had turned out different to what actually happened, then things would have been........well, different?!!! No sh!t, Einstein.

It seems to be that if any old retard puts some clips together as a YouTube video, as long as they soundtrack it with a Sigur Ros song, it'll be hailed as some emotional, profound piece of genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

God ya's are all very critical :P (dont attack me now :( ).
    Thought it was a good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

I enjoyed it, if even just for the nice editing and music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's funny I was watching the FA Cup semi-final of '99 on ESPN Classics this morning and was reminded of the significance of Schmeichel's penalty save. If Bergkamp converts the penalty then Arsenal win it in normal time, the treble dream dies there and then and Ryan Giggs never scores one of the greatest, if not the greatest, FA Cup goal in history. One wonders how a loss to Arsenal would have affected the rest of the season. Would the spirit have been there against Bayern in the final moments in Barcelona if the team had been dented by a loss to Arsenal?

Apologies in advance for this, but....

If, and I mean IF, Ireland qualified for the last World Cup (IF!!), we would have been guaranteed 3 games. During those 3 games, there would be a decent proportion of pubs full of people watching the games, and electronic shops like Harvey Normans and DID Electrical would be doing WC special offers on TVs. Among the football fans, there would also be a sense of well-being which would have a "butterfly effect" on the rest of the people around them, also cheering them up. With all the spending on booze and tellys and jerseys and bunting or whatever, say for example over the 3+ games if everyone on Ireland, on average, spent 250 euro, well then that adds up to over 1 billion euro. Thats money thats all going into the local pubs, shops, DID Electricals etc etc, who would have to hire bands/extra staff to cope with all the happiness!
    I should point out that a certain not too far off country is giving 95 million to Ireland as part of the bailout.

But yeah, ignore this post coz its a bit off the general topic! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As someone said, great video and editing but doesn't make much sense.

Your best player and captain loafing someone in extra time of the world cup final? Missing the winning penalty in the Champions league final? Going down to 10 men in the first few minutes of the Champions league final?

That's not something small and seemingly insignificant that somehow develops into a much larger event. It's kind of obvious what happens.

I think the point of the video is that the "small and seemingly insignificant" part is hittin the peno either left or right. Left scores and wins, right misses and you lose. Or going that split second earlier for a tackle that got you sent off.

But ye overall its very well produced, and thats about it! :p

Advertisement