Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat fireplace insert

• 11-12-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, I want to install an insert stove. My existing fireplace insert has an arch in it, I tried installing an arched insert stove but the adaptor did not seal against the arch correctly. I am looking to get a plain, flat fireplace insert so I can install a standard insert stove..

Any ideas on where to get this??

Thanks...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You might need to remodel your existing fireplace to suit an inset/cassette stove(depending on cassette stove style)

But any half decent fireplace company/shop or a marble and grannite suppliers should have a flat fireplace surround to suit.

metal,cast iron,even grannit or marble options are available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

paddy147 wrote: »
    You might need to remodel your existing fireplace to suit an inset/cassette stove(depending on cassette stove style)

But any half decent fireplace company/shop or a marble and grannite suppliers should have a flat fireplace surround to suit.

metal,cast iron,even grannit or marble options are available.

Does that stove have a back boiler in it to heat the house as well?

Seriously giving some thought to an inset stove for the fireplace.

Does that stove have a back boiler in it to heat the house as well?

Seriously giving some thought to an inset stove for the fireplace.

Stovax dont do inset/cassette stoves with a back boiler,well not to my knowladge anyway.

The stove in the pics above is a Stovax Riva 66 multi fuel.Just fited a new 4 sided black frame to finish off the stove,as the original frame got warped/damaged when the renovation work was being done and the stove was being fitted.The frame slots onto the top and bottom of the stove and it covers up the silver stove frame,that bolts into the chimney blockwork.

Please excuse the sheets of chip board down on the floor,had the chimney breast plastered and also getting the ceiling painted,so I put the sheets down to protect me wooden floor from skimcoat and paint.;)

The Riva 66 chucks out some serious heat,in fact,its allmost too hot to have on,if you can believe that.I have the house fully insulated internally too,so the heat stays for hours and hours.

I left it on slow burn/over night burn and the next morning,the house was still very very warm,lovely feeling to wake up to,and thats with no central heating on either.Placed a peat briquette onto it,opened the air wash/air grille a bit and with in 30 seconds the stove came back to life and a lovely fire again.

Go for a stove,you wont regret it,trust me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

Hi,

Paddy the room looks fab! Love the fireplace with no surround, we are too in the process of having our gas fire removed and have my eye on a stove in fireplaces direct in Drogheda, loads to choose from in there!! Can wait as we dont use the gas fire and love a real fire, does the stove cut out the noise of the wind howling down?
    Thanks

shellyb73 wrote: »
    Hi,

Paddy the room looks fab! Love the fireplace with no surround, we are too in the process of having our gas fire removed and have my eye on a stove in fireplaces direct in Drogheda, loads to choose from in there!! Can wait as we dont use the gas fire and love a real fire, does the stove cut out the noise of the wind howling down?
    Thanks

Thanks.

Well mine did block out the wind and noise,but I also had the chimney fully lined and insulated,and also had a base plate installed,as this stops any debris from falling back down the chimney and also hold the insulation/vermiculite in place.So that helps too.

A mate of mine has an inset stove too,his still lets in a little noise (only when really windy),but not half as much as when he just had a normal open fireplace and a coal fire.

You would have to put your ear or head right up to my mates stove to hear or notice any noise from it,so unless thats your thing,then you will not hear anything with an inset stove,as long as it is installed correctly.

P.S-Thanks to the builder,he came up with the clever idea or recessing the granite hearth into the floor so that it was flush/level with the floor.This mean that no clumbsy tripping up over the hearth or anyone going flying head over heels.It also gives a bit more space and also a sense of more space in the room too.Well thats what my girlfriend thinks anyway.

• Advertisement

A stove is well worth the investment,if you get a stove with both slow burn/overnight burn and also airwash then you will not regret it.:)

Anyone for a double fronted walk around glass faced multi fuel stove?.

Now this is a whopper.:)

You would need one hell of a huge house or maybe a castle for this one though.The size of the thing when standing beside it and walking around it.Its HUGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Any one got any ideas as to where to source new flat fireplace insert??

Answered in post 2 for you.;)

Also......Golden Pages,Google it or drive around to various fireplace and marble/granite companies.

You will see loads of them on display if you go the different fireplace companies and marble/granite shops and have a look yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Any quarry that supplies marble or granite can cut and polish a piece of stone to your spec's and measurements if you want to go that route.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    P.S-Thanks to the builder,he came up with the clever idea or recessing the granite hearth into the floor so that it was flush/level with the floor.This mean that no clumbsy tripping up over the hearth or anyone going flying head over heels.It also gives a bit more space and also a sense of more space in the room too.Well thats what my girlfriend thinks anyway.

Now that was a clever idea, it looks really well. I like the idea of a stove, but tbh my house is kinda cold anyway (circa 1970's demi D Council built house) so I wouldn't be interested in a stove unless there's a back boiler in it.

P.S, I like the look of the sitting room paddy, its the bizzle fo' shizzle

• Advertisement

Any quarry that supplies marble or granite can cut and polish a piece of stone to your spec's and measurements if you want to go that route.

Now that was a clever idea, it looks really well. I like the idea of a stove, but tbh my house is kinda cold anyway (circa 1970's demi D Council built house) so I wouldn't be interested in a stove unless there's a back boiler in it.

P.S, I like the look of the sitting room paddy, its the bizzle fo' shizzle

Didnt turn out too bad in the end.Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Hi, I want to install an insert stove. My existing fireplace insert has an arch in it, I tried installing an arched insert stove but the adaptor did not seal against the arch correctly. I am looking to get a plain, flat fireplace insert so I can install a standard insert stove..

Any ideas on where to get this??

Thanks...

www.heatdesign.ie

HI Billy. I have a nice arched fire surround that looks almost identical to the one on this site. seems a shame to pull it out for a stove and so would like to keep it if possible. Is this something like what you had and is this what wouldnt seal.

Not sure what to do .

Advertisement