Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Mice problem!

Options
  • 11-12-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Saturday night stuck at home studying....

THEN....

I hear mice under the floor and I'm sure I could hear them the other day too but I put it down to imagination. My housemate thought he heard them too!!

I'm on my own in the house for the weekend, and if I see one, I will drop dead. I'm imagining them crawling all over me eugh and i just can't stop thinking about them!

all I could find on the Internet on getting rid of them is traps, glue traps, cats etc.

I CANNOT COPE WITH FINDING DEAD MICE!! And I read this one story about a mouse chewing its leg off to escape a trap! Oh jaysus i feel sick at the sight of seeing a mouse leg stuck in a trap.....

HELP HELP HELP HELP

:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

Not much option but to set traps am afraid.
    They usually kill them instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Mice are unlikely to come near you unless you surprise them. Long term, you'll need to find out where they come in and close it off, but that won't get rid of the mice already there...

You could try humane (cage) traps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Buy a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

The glue traps catch live mice, so the dead mouse encounter shouldn't worry you! :D

Then do the humane thing and drown them in a bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What about those plug-in sonar rodent repellents?

We had a stray crittur come in last week. Just as well I never saw or heard him, as I would've passed out!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Cue scrubbing of food cupboards with PLENTY of bleach and boiling water. Anything open, I threw out, even though I saw no droppings, and think it was just a stray...

Rushed out and bought some repellents in Atlantic, and also a couple of those pre-baited traps.

My husband caught the little git in the trap, and please God, no more since...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Buy a cat

I would suggest you DON'T do this. If the cat you buy is anything like my two were, it'll be either too stupid or too lazy to do anything!!:D

Seriously though. Might the mice have come in as the weather's been so cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

They should leave as the weather thaws in the coming days. I bought one of those plug in noise things and that seemed to do the trick,keep the place very clean,no food around etc etc. The plug-in thing is called "Pest-X". I know of a couple of people who have experienced this for the first time after never having a problem before the weather so that must be what it is. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I just had to get rid of a mouse myself didnt want to get traps so bought the plug in things only problem you cant plug them in with a mouse in the house there has to be none for it to work :(

so ended up buying a trap and caught the little sh*t the first night horrible that is was to have a dead mouse and brain splattered all over my press but it was better than having it piss and **** all over the kitchen

thankfully my other half disposed of the corpse and brain matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Make sure you put all food sources in plastic containers or presses that can be kept closed, they can survive on the smallest crumbs. I'm not saying you're untidy, so please don't take it the wrong way.
    If you've heard/seen more than one, you need to set traps, they are a nightmare to get rid of if they breed. You will need to set traps in the attic as well.
    Check outside your house for any small holes/ heating ducts they could've got in and cover it with small holed metal mesh.
    The sonic plug ins are good and if you are in a two storey house plug in one upstairs and one in the kitchen wall sockets.

Hope they find a new home soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

Had a mice problem around three months ago , a whole family of mice should I say , ended up catching 7 of the feckers..yes 7 within 72hrs ..

Bought 7 mouse traps placed them stratigically all ove rthe house as they seemed to be following the central heating pipes.

Smidgin of Nutella had them scurring to their deaths:)

Anyhow I was more concerned as to how they got in and how to keep them out. Eventually found out there was a small crack under the back door where it meets the tiles of the kitchen , filled it up with a mixture of both plaster & stainless steel wire mess as they hate that stuff and haven't heard a squeek since, It's not a nice experience when your catching that many and it's mainly down to the little buggers wanting warmth to bread in my case.
    prevention better than the cure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

A mouse (probably a family but I only saw one!) moved into my cupboards a few years ago. I opened the cupboard one day to find him sitting there eating weetabix from the box while staring back at me! I got one of the plug in rodent repellers from Woodies and that was the last I saw of him. Have brought it with me when I moved house since and its still working great! A good way of getting them out without having to deal with dead mice/traps!

Advertisement