Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packages with most english content

• 11-12-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I've moved to a new house where I can't pick up freesat on my motorised due to a large near by building. Neither sky or upc have any interest in solving the problem as they would have to go too high up to get a signal. (I'm not in a cable area, mmds only) Definitely impossible to put the motorised dish up there.

For now i'm surviving with the Saorview irish channels and with the Cyfra+ multipakiet + Canal+ HD (ocassional english language films, American Dad, 30 Rock and the sports) and my Al Jazeera sports card.

Obviously there are some FTA english news channels as well, but i was looking to add a package where I could get some more channels with english audio. I realise this is a daft way of doing it, but like Brian Lenihan might say "We are where we are".:(

I can get Hotbird, Eutelstat, Hispasat no problems.

I've looked at some cards which seem to have english audio channels, by searching through kingofsat.

I could get more Cyfra channels, which would seem to give me a bunch of HBO film, comedy and entertainment channels, Discovery, BBCHD, Fox etc. It doesn't seem too expensive relatively speaking. It should work in my existing receiver and i'm hoping that it works in the same way as Canal Film..eg if originally in english, audio in english is available.

Polsat seems to have a bit more (BBC Entertainment, Knowledge, Lifestyle) but is a bit harder to find (for me anyway). Not so sure if its tied to a reciever or not.

Both would get me Eurosport channels as well, as a bonus.

Sky Italia has a lot of stuff, and is obviously even better for sports, but is very expensive and tied to the receiver. I'm not sure what the film channels show. I'd imagine they surely have more native language content?

Can't find much info on Sky Deutchland..i think the germans used to have a love for dubbing though.

Any other suggestions? Any info on how people are finding the english content on these or other packages would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

canal digital on 1 west is near enough all English content (With scandinavian subtitles). subs are expensive though unless you know of anyone who lives in a scandinavian country.

Canal digitaal holland is another good package (19 and 23 east)

TV cabo/D+ on 30 west are good options, nice strong signal, D+ is very expensive though.

Be carefull with the polish channels as a lot dont have English audio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Thanks for that. I've a feeling, though i'll need to recheck, that Canaal Digital may also be out signalwise.

I'll have a look for prices for them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Ghostleader

Hi there mate, I had Polsat "Family" & the HD pack for 16 months & all the BBC channels had english audio, as does Discovery World, Discovery Science, Animal Planet, TCM(Turner Classic Movies), Cartoon network, Disney, & Eurosport. The HD pack also had Eurosport & Eurosport 2 HD in English (5.1) MTVN HD, NatGeo Wild HD & just before my prepay ran out the new FOX HD channel which has alot of brand new shows like The Walking Dead.;) It cost me £220 at the time for ayear worth of both packs, I would have renewed but I (Like most folk) am pretty skint even without the added hassle of Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

FOX HD channel which has alot of brand new shows like The Walking Dead.;)

Are you referring to FOXlife HD? that is currently polish only but curiously the SD version has English.

It is a damn shame that Discovery or the HD Showcase channel doesnt have English. Though saying that the adverts are in English :mad:

I am thinking of getting a 19 month Cyfra card which has History and National Geographic in English. It is a lot of money to pay upfront though.

Thanks both.

Satsklep, who I bought my Cyfra card from, seem to only have Polsat renewals at the moment. I might email them and see what the story is.

Ghostleader, I'm in the same boat re: Christmas! This will have to wait till the end of January for me too. Longer if i decide to push the boat out and get something more expensive. If i stay here longterm i'd have to consider getting a dish for freesat, but i've been told it could be v expensive and may require a mast.

Minstrel27, do you know if the HBO channels, HD and SD, offer english audio?

I can now rule out Canaal as well. If i move again, i'm buying a sat meter!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

druss wrote: »
    Minstrel27, do you know if the HBO channels, HD and SD, offer english audio?

100% positively yes. The only times they are not in English is when they are showing something made in a non English speaking country. The very few times that they do it will be available in the language of origin.

The same goes for Cinemax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

Try Hello HD on Eurobird 9A at 9.0°E its fta now and there are few channels with english audio

good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Don't forget NOVA on Hotbird.
    All but a few are in English with
    Greek subtitles.
    Movies-Sport -Entertainment and Knowledge Channels;)
    :cool::cool:

mar1us wrote: »
    Try Hello HD on Eurobird 9A at 9.0°E its fta now and there are few channels with english audio

good luck!

Thanks Mar1us! Checking it out now. I gather that this only lasts till January, but cool to have it.

easkey, Nova is out of my price range in the short term. Maybe further into the year though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mar1us wrote: »

good luck!

can anyone suggest a 9e transponder that wont clash with the 13e etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

Headshot wrote: »
    can anyone suggest a 9e transponder that wont clash with the 13e etc

have a look on lyngsat

Advertisement