Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime Statistics in Dublin area

Options
  • 12-12-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'm a student in Inchicore college and i'm kinda stuck for something, i'm wondering if any of you can help me out:

I've been trying to find crime related statistics in Dublin regions and i just can't find anything. The only thing i CAN find is the statistics for irish regions, but what I need is to be able to compare disadvantaged areas with advantaged areas (ie Blackrock and Ballymun). I've tried Garda Annual report, but it doesn't seem to go in to any details that i need.

Can somebody send me a link or something? I would really appreciate it.
    :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think such figures are published. Can I suggest you contact the Garda press office?

Oh, the figures are complied by the CSO these days, so perhaps contact them also www.cso.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LaMortis

Thank you. I'll give them a call on monday.

I've sent Garda an e-mail, but i really doubt i'll get a reply in the next couple of weeks rolleyes.gif And i guess it's pointless now anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

There are no publicly available crime stats at the level you are asking for. Figures may be being compiled (though I doubt it) by the central statistics office but even if they are they are not available. Garda provide a breakdown of area stats at Local Policing Fora meetings/Neighbourhood Watch but those in attendance are not allowed to record these (their is some dubious claim to them being confidential), even people representing organisations in an official capacity are instructed not to record them. The recent development of Area Policing Fora were intended to start the process of making stats available publicly, but this is as far away today as it was 5 years ago. Dont hold your breath getting a direct response from the police of their press office. Bottom line is it's woeful... you're more easily able to find out the location of every bus stop in Dublin than whehter or not robberies are more prevalent in Inchicore or Crumlin... pathetic really.

Compare with the UKs online database where you simply punch in a postcode and you get a detailed breakdown of crime stats, changes over time and even in some cases projected reductions/increases based on local area policing strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

CSO stats on crime are divided by Garda District which are quite large in places so you wont be able to pinpoint areas of crime really.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LaMortis

cozski,
    Yeah that's kinda ridiculous. I called them today, and they said that the statistics came out today, the guy was actually really helpful to my surprise (well, helpful to a degree). He asked me to send another e-mail asking what particular areas i want stats for, but didn't get back to me. There's something telling me he might not get back to me at all, but it's too early to say, and i don't wanna feel guilty if he does :o

delta_bravo,
    yeah they're too big. It's not good enough(((

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DarrenDay

Who are you getting these figures off?

Such data is not for dissemination to outside groups unless they are cleared for academic use and even then there are a lot of caveats. That can take over a year to get cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Sad to say it, but give up. Crime statistics in Ireland are erratically compiled and difficult to locate.

I know statisticians who have tried and failed to make anything of them.

Advertisement