Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it weird that i cant stop thinking about post college life?

Options
  • 12-12-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

What i mean is im only half way through my degree and i cant stop thinking about post-grad courses i could do or reading the conferring ceremony threads while thinking of myself walking up to get my degree etc?

Is it too early for all that? Am i being presumptuous?

I just have this funny feeling the second half of the degree is gonna go a lot faster then the first and as a mature student im ready to move on tbh.

What are peoples experience of the second half or the home stretch if you will?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If you think the second half will be faster than the first, you might be up for a rude awakening....maybe not though. But my second half is dragging on and on and on.......I've been fantasizing about finishing since the end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

If you think the second half will be faster than the first, you might be up for a rude awakening....maybe not though. But my second half is dragging on and on and on.......I've been fantasizing about finishing since the end of last year.

Sh1te you may be right. I hope not though, im looking forward to getting started on the next part.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I'm 20 and in third (final year) and I feel sooooo old around campus. I feel my degree (and youth) is over when I see groups of newbies walking around without a care in the world.

dr gonzo wrote: »

4th year nearly got the better of me, it was horrendously difficult, off the wall and didn't interest me at all. It was compounded by going on work experience in 3rd year and realising "Oh sh1t, this isn't for me :eek: ". Sort of fecked my motivation and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Gingy wrote: »
    I'm 20 and in third (final year) and I feel sooooo old around campus. I feel my degree (and youth) is over when I see groups of newbies walking around without a care in the world.

Be careful who you say that sentence around :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

What i mean is im only half way through my degree and i cant stop thinking about post-grad courses i could do or reading the conferring ceremony threads while thinking of myself walking up to get my degree etc?

Is it too early for all that? Am i being presumptuous?

I just have this funny feeling the second half of the degree is gonna go a lot faster then the first and as a mature student im ready to move on tbh.

Not at all! It's important to have a goal in sight. I had the conferring ceremony in my mind from day one. There's nothing wrong with having a goal and looking forward to the future, new challenges etc. It's a good thing.

RoverJames wrote: »
    4th year nearly got the better of me, it was horrendously difficult, off the wall and didn't interest me at all. It was compounded by going on work experience in 3rd year and realising "Oh sh1t, this isn't for me :eek: ". Sort of fecked my motivation and whatnot.

I know what you mean, did you get through it in the end?

ffs im 25 and in 2nd year, imagine how i feel walking around. Youre just a young un, what i wouldnt give to be in third year at 20!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Don't leave college. Going back to college was a big mistake for me, leaving college was worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I get exactly where you're coming from :D. I just can't stop myself researching what masters I can do and what colleges I can do them in and I'm only in 2nd year as well :pac:. It's actually quite annoying, I wish I could just live in the present .

I know what you mean, did you get through it in the end?

Yep, got a degree out of it and have worked in related jobs ever since, good money but as a 21 year old on work experience my gut feeling was correct ;):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

ffs im 25 and in 2nd year, imagine how i feel walking around. Youre just a young un, what i wouldnt give to be in third year at 20!

ffs im 30 and in 2nd year, imagine how i feel walking around. Youre just a young un, what i wouldnt give to be in second year at 25!

:)

Chet T16 wrote: »
    ffs im 30 and in 2nd year, imagine how i feel walking around. Youre just a young un, what i wouldnt give to be in second year at 25!

haha touche sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Chet T16 wrote: »

I'm at the other end of the scale, 18 and in first year. I feel so young around campus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

ROFLCOPTER! lololololololol :D
    ----

You're not old. Getoverit!

(I started in first year aged 19!)

Edit: Some people can feel that it's not as legitimate for them to join new socs and clubs after first year. That really isn't the case!

However, if you feel that your life in third level is drawing to a close because you will be graduating and cannot afford the fees to do postgrad, then I understand where you are coming from. Nevertheless...

ALSO! Remember than when you graduate you can still join socs and clubs for the following year (your year of grace).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm the same, started a 2 year masters this year and can't wait to get a career going (hopefully...). I absolutely love the masters, its so interesting and I'm glad I'm doing it, but I'm sick of not having any money. That, and just can't wait to get the next chapter of my life going. This is my 5th year in college and I'm over the whole going out every night and what not.

In saying that, I do love not having to be up till 10. That is something I most definitely don't want to lose :p

I say this now, come back to me in ten years and I'm sure I would give anything to be back in college :pac:

Advertisement