Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared lease problem

Options
  • 12-12-2010 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I signed a joint lease on a house earlier this year with a friend of mine. We recently had a little falling out due to her inability to live with others.

I got home yesterday to find she had moved out and taken all her belongings. There was no indication she was doing this and I haven't been able to contact her since.

The lease doesn't expire for another 5 months. Does anyone know what I can do regarding his ?? Surely she can't just walk away from a lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Depends on what exactly the lease says.
    Most likely, she is responsible for her share, unless she finds a follow-on tenant- if she does not pay, the landlord can go after both or either of you, whichever is easier for him, but you end up paying the ll, you can then persue her for her share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Any idea how I can persue her ?? The small claims court doesn't cover this sort of thing .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

KTRIC wrote: »
    ... The small claims court doesn't cover this sort of thing .
    Correct.
    Any idea how I can persue her ?? ...
    What do you want to pursue her for? Do you have a legal agreement between you as tenants in the property? (as distinct from the agreement you have with the landlord as tenants ). If you don't, you have no grounds to pursue her.

If you do have an agreement, then take her to court, apply for a judgement against her and have it enforced.
    silja wrote: »
    Depends on what exactly the lease says...
    What does the lease say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was just thinking about who the contract was between. We joint signed the lease with the landlord. I would presume by this that the contract is between her and the landlord and me and the landlord. There is no part saying who pays what.

Any ideas ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I was just thinking about who the contract was between. We joint signed the lease with the landlord. I would presume by this that the contract is between her and the landlord and me and the landlord. There is no part saying who pays what.

Any ideas ???

Generally in those cases you're joint and severally liable, i.e if she stops paying, you owe the landlord the full amount. It's 'two people renting a house' not 'one person renting a room' and 'one other person renting a different room'

I think you need to
    a) tell the landlord IMMEDIATELY
    b) find someone to take her room over and pay the other half of the rent
    c) chase her for any shortfall you had to pay to the landlord (if applicable) while her room was empty

• Advertisement
Advertisement