Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting ex's daughter.

Options
  • 12-12-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

I am legal guardian of my ex-girlfriends' little girl. I'm not her biological father but I look after her on a regular basis. Can I adopt her? I'm told I may not be able to as we weren't married.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Johro wrote: »
    I am legal guardian of my ex-girlfriends' little girl. I'm not her biological father but I look after her on a regular basis. Can I adopt her? I'm told I may not be able to as we weren't married.

You are entitled to adopt her- providing:

1. In the case of a single person adopting- the mother must not be married, and must relinquish the child.
    2. Under the 1998 adoption act, the biological father is entitled to be consulted regarding the adoption application- and would be entitled to preferential treatment were he to decide to exercise his rights, as the child's father.

Unfortunately its not nearly as clear cut or straight forward as you might imagine.

Advertisement