Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken heatsink!

Options
  • 12-12-2010 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Ugh, more problems with the new build!

I installed a new P5Q Pro yesterday. Only took me 2 hours to figure out how to turn it on (my PSU doesn't have the right secondary mobo power connector, fortunately half a connector works just as well) and I've installed Windows 7. Fine so far.

Today I was messing around in the Bios and was shocked to see an idle CPU temp of 76C! I knew I'd messed up the pegs that hold the 775 heatsink in the mobo, but not that badly! I do have thermal compound on the CPU and when I press on the heatsink/fan assembly the temp drops. The PC is running fine, but I know I'd fry it if I ran anything heavy duty.

What I want to know is a) can I repair or bodge it and b) if I can't what's the best/cheapest cooler to stick on there and where can I get it? Not looking to spend more than €30 as I'm out of cash! Thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

How did you mess up the pegs? :confused: Can't you just re-mount it?

Under €30 is problematic as the only really decent cheap cooler is the Arctic Freezer 7 Rev2 but from here its either overpriced, costs less than its own shipping, or both. It will keep a hot chip fairly cool at stock, and on a medium-heat quad can even allow some OCing headroom. If you want to OC heavily you'll need to spend €30 plus shipping on a Xiggy S1283 variant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Is it the plastic piece that's attached to the MoBo that's broken?

http://us.msi.com/product/images/CPU_installation.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Solitaire wrote: »
    How did you mess up the pegs? :confused: Can't you just re-mount it?

Nope, the pegs on two supports are broken from me forcing them - the little pegs at the end of the white thing in this pic

thermalrightlga775bolttwn6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Push Pins are the bane of any computer build (I know, you feel like your gonna snap the board in two fitting them in :/ )

Cant fix them, so just bin that cooler. Peats in Parnell street have some Xigmatek S1283 variant coolers, not sure on the price though, shouldn't be much more than €30 though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

According to their website they only carry Xiggy cases, and aside from an ancient Zalman flower cooler their CPU coolers start at €50 :o

• Advertisement

According to their website they only carry Xiggy cases, and aside from an ancient Zalman flower cooler their CPU coolers start at €50

So the Zalman CNPS7000C is crap then? I suppose I will be overclocking it mildly, maybe I should get something better. Any ideas for a budget cooler so?I was looking at a Zalman watercooler on Adverts for €40, but he won't be in Dublin for a while. I've got weights on the heatsink/fan to keep the temp in the 50's at idle!

How about this?

Solitaire wrote: »
    According to their website they only carry Xiggy cases, and aside from an ancient Zalman flower cooler their CPU coolers start at €50 :o

They're website is usually quite out of date on most stuff, something Ive joked about with the guys in my local Peats :P Instore theres a a whole load of stuff thats not on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

If you are into a bit of overclocking you could consider a Coolermaster Corsair H70 watercooling kit for about €80, failing that your bog standard cpu cooler should be cheap enough as mentioned above.

PS: Anyone know if Peats sell the H70?

If you are into a bit of overclocking you could consider a Corsair H70 watercooling kit for about €80, failing that your bog standard cpu cooler should be cheap enough as mentioned above.

FYP :)

I must say, that the computer parts section is probably the only bit that isnt bang up to date, everything else is fine. Thats the nature of computer stuff though, it moves to fast to keep up with :o

• Advertisement

I was in Peats Parnell St today. Feck all cooling stuff, a few boggo Zalmans, one upright cooler from Silversomething for €50! Incredible when I can get it for €20 on Komplett with free shipping. Also, an OCZ 90GB SSD is €289.. I ordered the 120GB version online for €212 delivered. I nearly burst out laughing in the shop. Admittedly it never arrived, but that's beside the point.

Summary: Peats are typical Irish ripoff merchants.
    Anyone know if Peats sell the H70?

Not as far as I could see. No watercooling stuff at all. Am I better off going for a watercooling kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

peats have a artic freezer pro for 25 euros and will work very well i had one on an oced e84@4gz and it worked fine.

or check adverts for a intel stock one i got one for the same reason for a fiver.

those push pins are just crap though.

maxextz wrote: »
    peats have a artic freezer pro for 25 euros and will work very well i had one on an oced e84@4gz and it worked fine.

or check adverts for a intel stock one i got one for the same reason for a fiver.

those push pins are just crap though.

+1 to this

Right, ordered an Arctic Pro Freezer 7 Rev 2 from Amazon - €28, free delivery and it's gotten good reviews, plus it'll be here before Xmas (in theory). Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

well done;) you will be very pleased with that cooler its the best at a very low price.

Advertisement