Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS/Windows not seeing second SATA drive

Options
  • 12-12-2010 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

As part of my ongoing new build headaches, something odd has cropped up. I have two SATA HDDs on a P5Q Pro mobo, one a 250GB laptop job and the other a 500GB standard brick, both WD. Windows is installed on the bigger drive and I have critical info on the smaller one. The problem is that both BIOS and Windows only see one drive (whichever one is plugged in). BIOS is set to ACHI mode and I've tried different SATA ports, and I've been searching online for the last few hours with no success.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Skerries wrote: »

I've seen that solution, unfortunately it doesn't do me any good as I can't format the drive that's not being recognised, it's full of critical stuff! I could use that drive as my boot drive, but it's slower than the other one, only half the size and I'd have to reinstall Windows to make it work.

At the same time though, I need that data...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Why not shove the 250GB laptop HDD drive in a USB HDD enclosure? About 10euro on eBay or 30euro in the shops.

Why not shove the 250GB laptop HDD drive in a USB HDD enclosure? About 10euro on eBay or 30euro in the shops.

Thanks, didn't even know that option existed!

Update:

It works! No idea how I fixed it or if it's purely temporary, but I'm copying the data to my main HDD just in case! The last thing I did was move the two drives to different SATA ports, which I've tried before. Anyway, thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

Confab wrote: »
    Update:

It works! No idea how I fixed it or if it's purely temporary, but I'm copying the data to my main HDD just in case! The last thing I did was move the two drives to different SATA ports, which I've tried before. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Glad all is working. :)

For your reference:

You connected the HDD to your RAID controller on the Mobo, hence it was not seen in the Mobo BIOS. Most onboard RAID controllers have their own BIOS which will see the HDD.

Swapping the SATA port on your Mobo, moved the HDD to a non-RAID port hence the HDD magically appeared in your BIOS.

Your HDD is fine. If you study your manual that came with your motherboard all should be explained in there. That's computers for ya!

Advertisement